Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

draft on o5 vlx

keystoneking

Just got an '05 wakesetter vlx. I've read max draft is 24". This can't be w/ crew and gear, let alone ballast. What kind of depth is safe w/ or w/ out ballast?

I'd imagine you'd want 36" minimum. What's the situation where you need to use it?

Welcome to the site!

the lake I go to has some shallow areas (less than 4 ft. of water). And I was wondering as far as pulling up to a beach type area

I regularly go through a shallow area coming out of the cove where our boat is docked on the river. Sometimes it's as low as 2 ft. and we make it through fine. I know that it's all sandy bottom though, so if I do hit bottom, there will be no damage and I'm only idling through. If you know the area doesn't have rocks or trees submerged, then 2 ft. should be enough water. If it gets close, put everyone in the bow to bring the prop/rudder up a little bit.

Edited by jtrovato
I regularly go through a shallow area coming out of the cove where our boat is docked on the river. Sometimes it's as low as 2 ft. and we make it through fine. I know that it's all sandy bottom though, so if I do hit bottom, there will be no damage and I'm only idling through.

As measured by your depth finder, or actual water depth.. I sorta doubt you're idling through water that is only just hitting your lower thigh. 2" indicated on your depth finder is probably waste deep - closer to 3 or 3.5" in true depth. (just something to be clear on when we're talking about inches of water Yes.gif)

The depth finder is reading anywhere from 1 ft to nothing, as its too shallow to register. I've hit the prop in the silt before and jumped out to push the boat through the shallow part and only went in up to my thigh.