Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater blankets

liljohn

I put in a heated observer seat for my wife and got her a 12V electric blanket that we plug into the outlet in the glove box. She does not like to be cold.

I'm assuming the heated portion is only the backrest and not the seat cushion. Is that correct? My cushion is totally removable, so it would be tough to deal with the wires all the time when removing the cushion. I've been thinking about doing the same thing to my boat, just haven't started the project yet. Looks like the vinyl on the seats is just stapled to the bottom, so it should be pretty easy to do this mod. The hard part will be getting the vinyl stapled back on - definitely want an electric powered stapler or your hands are going to get tired.

I put in a heated observer seat for my wife and got her a 12V electric blanket that we plug into the outlet in the glove box. She does not like to be cold.

I'm assuming the heated portion is only the backrest and not the seat cushion. Is that correct? My cushion is totally removable, so it would be tough to deal with the wires all the time when removing the cushion. I've been thinking about doing the same thing to my boat, just haven't started the project yet. Looks like the vinyl on the seats is just stapled to the bottom, so it should be pretty easy to do this mod. The hard part will be getting the vinyl stapled back on - definitely want an electric powered stapler or your hands are going to get tired.

Actually the element is in the seat cushion. It has a long wire with a quick disconnect if the seat needs to be removed. No problem at all. If you just need to lift the seat, the wire reaches just fine for that.

Thanks for the feedback on the boat blanket, here is the response i got from the manufacturer, i figured i would pass on and clarify some questions on our product that we are selling on bakesonline.com

"We're well aware of the competition. While it's a similar product, this boat blanket is better for several reasons:

It's bigger (60 x 72 with a 12 pocket)

*** It's Polartec fleece – thicker, warmer, and lasts longer than any other fleece on the market

***It's more durable and will last longer – we'll guarantee it for life"

I can't down talk the hot wrap blanket since the manufacture/owner actually works for Bake's now and we use to carry it in the store. He still holds the rights to the hot wrap blanket on his own but has not produced any for awhile now since he has been focusing on custom covers for Bake's and other things. I can guarantee you that the hot wrap blanket is not gor-tex and that the fleece is not near the quality as the Polar Tec Fleece blankets we carry at bake's. I've carried both products in the store and would carry the hot wraps if i could get them because of the less expensive materials it drops the price considerably but in this case i wanted to clarify that we're not price gouging, it's simply a higher quality manufactured blanket made perfect for our conditions and Malibu boat customers. Hope this helps clarify some questions you had.

Other than price, is there anything else you would want to see in a blanket? A more simple blanket (less exspensive), other options? colors?

Edited by Bakes Board & Ski

Bakes, are you talking about the blanket for sale on SKYSKI.COM? If it is I would be suprised to see it not have gortex because of the way the add is written. It would be blatently misleading. At least I hope I am not that naive to believe that a reputable company could be so bold to be untruthful in their adds.

Thanks for the feedback on the boat blanket, here is the response i got from the manufacturer, i figured i would pass on and clarify some questions on our product that we are selling on bakesonline.com

"We're well aware of the competition. While it's a similar product, this boat blanket is better for several reasons:

*** It's Polartec fleece – thicker, warmer, and lasts longer than any other fleece on the market

I can't down talk the hot wrap blanket since the manufacture/owner actually works for Bake's now and we use to carry it in the store. He still holds the rights to the hot wrap blanket on his own but has not produced any for awhile now since he has been focusing on custom covers for Bake's and other things. I can guarantee you that the hot wrap blanket is not gor-tex and that the fleece is not near the quality as the Polar Tec Fleece blankets we carry at bake's. I've carried both products in the store and would carry the hot wraps if i could get them because of the less expensive materials it drops the price considerably but in this case i wanted to clarify that we're not price gouging, it's simply a higher quality manufactured blanket made perfect for our conditions and Malibu boat customers. Hope this helps clarify some questions you had.

Other than price, is there anything else you would want to see in a blanket? A more simple blanket (less exspensive), other options? colors?

Hmm, maybe a group buy with a killer price including outrageous Wa St. sales tax and free shipping. Thumbup.gif We're using a comforter with a flannel cover, but as soon as things start getting wet, that's not going to be ideal. I looked into Sunbrella witht the thought of matching the 3 color bimini on a comforter cover, but just the materials are kind of pricey. Gortex the same, and didn't find any exterior use comforter covers out there, so the blankets looking better. I looked at them at Bake's when they first came in and they are nice. It would be really trick to have colors with some patterns, like strips, or the Malibu shield, or logos or whatever that you can order to match your interior colors. I think a few of those in the showroom matching the boats on the floor and you would have alot of people ordering that with their new boat.

Here's another cheaper alternative:

<a href="http://www.heatedcarblanket.com/?gclid=CIW...CFRpZiAod4Bxtwg" target="_blank">http://www.heatedcarblanket.com/?gclid=CIW...CFRpZiAod4Bxtwg</a>

60" x 44" heated (DC) with thermostat for $20. I think I will pick up a couple or three at this price...

We've used a similar blanket in the past. Be careful with them. It gets interesting when they get wet.

I think I'd just get the one from Wakeoutlaw posted above. Less fireworks.

Good call. Low voltage DC didn't worry me nearly as much as 120Vac around water at first thought....but best not to mix the two, especially if you have a bad experience to back it up!

I got my wife a heated 12v blanket a year or two ago because on long drives she would always want the heat on the whole time and there I was driving with my head out the window trying to get a breath of air Crazy.gif New car has dual climate zones which is a life saver so we don't use the blanket anymore, but I need to remember to put it in the boat!

BTW-were you out on the Willamette last Saturday afternoon?

Dual zones would be nice. I'm just glad our cars have heated seats so that she can have hers on all of the time and we don't have to have the heat blasting away. I will have to keep the dual zones in mind the next time we are looking for a new car for us. We just picked up a used Vibe for my younger son as a graduation present from his grandparents. He graduated from George Fox University on Saturday, which is where we were that day, so unfortunately we were not out on the river. I was thinking of it though while we were sitting through a rather boring commencement address. I missed out on some decent weather and now we are back into the Oregon rain. Oh well, at least he graduated.

There was a lot of stuff in the river on Saturday, so much that I was afraid to even get the boat up on a plane...but it wouldn't have been much of a water test for the new owners if we had just idled around. I was just asking if you were out there cause I saw a Wakesetter with the same color scheme as yours and was wondering if was you.

• 3 months later...

Here's a thread worth reviving with our season coming to an end in Colorado!!!

Our anniversary is coming up in a few weeks. This seems like a winner to me, but I might get the "you just bought this so YOU can stay out on the boat longer" speech. Okay, so maybe it's a win/win gift for the wife, but it's the thought that count anyway..........................

We have been using the SKYSKI blanket all year now and it is one of the best boat investment that we have made. THe only drawback we found is that the red ink ran onto the seats when it got wet!!! Gave me a good scare but it was easy to just wipe off. The blanket has been washed in slat water and doesn't run anymore!!!

• 1 year later...

Paul,

Do you have any of these in Stock? I was just toying with the idea of making one up for the new ride but after checking out what you have online, it doesn't cost a whole lot more to buy one ready made.

We got ours when we had our I/O and it came with us to the new boat. I ordered it directly from Mambe Blanket company and they run $129. The guy there was great to work with and its wind resistant for sure. It keeps my girlfriend warm and allows me to be able to get colder riding sessions since shes driving lol. Lifetime warranty too. I thought $129 was crazy at first, but they are really good quality blankets.

http://www.mambeblankets.com/boatblanket.aspx

Paul,

Do you have any of these in Stock? I was just toying with the idea of making one up for the new ride but after checking out what you have online, it doesn't cost a whole lot more to buy one ready made.

Jeremy,

We do have the boat blankets in stock at Bake's.

I can break one out of the bag and show you, they are really nice and definitely will keep the passengers happy out on the boat with you in the early / late Seattle boating months.

-Paul

Jeremy,

We do have the boat blankets in stock at Bake's.

I can break one out of the bag and show you, they are really nice and definitely will keep the passengers happy out on the boat with you in the early / late Seattle boating months.

-Paul

I'll be there tomorrow to check it out. Thanks.

Edited by jeremyk