Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing behind Malibu

RonRooney

I would look in the forums under mods and there is a whole section for ballast info that is great. I am sure you will find excatly what you are looking for there. Thumbup.gif

Welcome.gif

He has an 03 VLX, which is a different hull than the 06 posted in that article. The 03 has the same hull as my 07 vRide, so here's what I've done so far. This is what I did last year, but this year I have some 750 sacs to replace the 200 lb hard tanks in the trunks, so I should see a decent improvement in the surf wake.

Start by filling both the surf side and the center ballast if you have them. If not, you'll want to get at least 200-300 lbs in the rear locker (up to 750 lbs if you have a sac and the room in there), then you can fit another tube sac under the surf side seats if you are surfing on the left side of the boat. I have on under there that runs from the edge of the rear trunk up to where the cusion starts for the observers rear facing seat. This one holds about 400 lbs when filled. Then put all your passengers on the surf side of the boat and be sure to put one or two up in the bow if you don't have any ballast in the bow. Start off around 10 mph and you should see a decent wave that curls. Good luck. With my setup last year I could go ropeless but there's definitely a lot of room for improvement. Hopefully with the 750 in the trunk and a little weight up front it should be a decent amount bigger this year.