Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

taking on water

So I went out and got a 1998 sportster that seems to be taking on water. I looked at the prop, and is shows not sign of dammage. Pluse the boat sat in dry storage for 2 years before I bought it. So after my weekend at the lake, I took it home and filled the inside of the boat with about 5 gallons of water and it seems the water is leaking out from where the prop shaft enters the boat. I also had the prop shaft bearing repacked as well from my local marina some weeks back, but the leak is still there. I looked at the other posts that pertain to my issue, but I'm a bit lost as to do. Also what as HDS is. What should I do next to resolve this?

If you filled the bilge up with water and you see it leaking out where the shaft comes through the hull its either your packing, which your local Marina just replaced, or the HDS (Hydophonic Dampening system I think) Basically its a cavity to hold water to reduce Shaft Vibration. I have heard of them leaking. Check the postings for that. I will do the same.

The packing gland should drip water. like maybe a drop every 20 seconds or so.

If a marina recently replaced the prop packing, I think I'd be asking them about it.

The packing is supposed to leak a tiny bit, like a few drips per minute, while the engine is running, in gear, at idle speed. If the marina didn't tighten it up at all, then you might need to do that. With the boat in the water, loosen the jam nut, and tighten the packing nut, then retighten the jam nut. I use a pair of channel lock pliers & it just takes a few minutes.

Typically the packing will dry out if the boat is out of the water for a long time (like winter). So it's a good idea to just watch the rate it leaks the first time or two your on the water before you make any big adjustments.

It's funny, all these people jumping in with leak problems. Did everyone get their boats in the water for the first time this weekend or what?? I did! And the leak I found....... my mid-ship tank is filling on it's own. The pump isn't running, but I can hear the water coming in slowly. And a few minutes later, I can hit the mid-ship drain & it will shoot water out. I assume I have a pump that didn't survive the winter. It seems to run fine, but must be leaking.

Looks like the same thing that I just put the post on for yesterday. Take the cover off the box where your shaft comes through. If there are any cracks in the resin around the nuts for the strut, that is where the leak is. The water will migrate between the floors until it comes in somewhere else. Mine showed up right behind the bilge pump. Many of these guys recommend fiberglassing a new shaft log in. It's either that or refiberglass the inside of the box.

ok, so when I filled the inside of the boat with water, it will leak into the "prop shaft box" or what ever it's called? I'll open it up and take a look for some stress cracks.

Also it's not a slow leak. It's a very steady drip. Also what do I use to seal the top of the box with? It looks like a rubberized adhesive. Also from what I read malibu will not stand behind this hull issue?

Thanks for all the replies.