Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying a new kneeboard

RedOwl

I am looking to start kneeboarding again (haven't done it since I was 16) and would like to buy a decent board. I'm not looking to break the bank, but I would also like to get something that I can grow into skill-wise.

Any suggestions of what to get and where I should get it would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Edited by forrestgump1203
I am looking to start kneeboarding again (haven't done it since I was 16 and would like to buy a decent board. I'm not looking to break the bank, but I would also like to get something that I can grow into skill-wise.

Any suggestions of what to get and where I should get it would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Since you opened it up for me... I'll add that unless you were just kneeboarding last year, it probably won't be as much fun as you remember.

My girlfriend has a hydroslide (is it the revolution or the phantom, Nat?) and that thing is fantastic!!!! It's way better than mine..... but I got a new slalom instead - Nat watch out, I'm comin' for the kneeboard soon!

Here's some pics from last years WOW kneeboard warz:

DSC00677.jpg

DSC00575.jpg

Naughty showing Pete what it's all about.

DSC00544.jpg

I think most of the serious kneeboarders ride either the HO Joker or Striker, or the O'Brien Lowrider.

Some of the tricks they can get those boards to do are insane.

PM hbrew on this site, or check out the Northern Boarders web site. Check out some of their videos.

I think most of the serious kneeboarders ride either the HO Joker or Striker, or the O'Brien Lowrider.

PM hbrew on this site, or check out the Northern Boarders web site. Check out some of their videos.

What if I am less than serious and more than joking? Biggrin.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. Any chance I can get a decent kneeboard for less than $200?

What if I am less than serious and more than joking? Biggrin.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. Any chance I can get a decent kneeboard for less than $200?

When I was looking for one last year, everyone was telling me to get the joker or striker as well so I looked into them -and they're awesome boards. But for me, I'm content just playing around on the board & couldn't really justify the cost of a "professional level" kneeboard. I just want to have fun on it!

My favorites are definately the hydroslide boards for that reason.

Check ebay. It looks like you can get the Hydroslide models that shannoook mentioned for under $150. You might be able to pick up the O'brien Lowrider that obski mentioned for $245 with shipping. But if I were you, I'd go with the board that you have to strap your feet into and stand on it like you would a snowboard...they call it a wakeboard and it's all the rage...everyone's doing it! Whistling.gif

Check ebay. It looks like you can get the Hydroslide models that shannoook mentioned for under $150. You might be able to pick up the O'brien Lowrider that obski mentioned for $245 with shipping. But if I were you, I'd go with the board that you have to strap your feet into and stand on it like you would a snowboard...they call it a wakeboard and it's all the rage...everyone's doing it! Whistling.gif

Overtons has the Lowrider onsale for $179.

get a sheet of plywood and cut it into a shape of a knee board then take your money and buy a wakeboard it will be way more fun and and your knees will thank you for it. when we were all little kneeboarding was fun but once you get past the teen stage it will beat you to death. but thats just my opinion

Whatever brand or model you get the number one prioriy is that it has a hook or similar on the front. It makes starting so much easier as you don't need to hold the handle while sliding up and getting the strap tight.

We've got a Obrien Richochet for playing around on. Heaps of fun

You can check out kneeboardplanet forums on this topic, Chad who was a member of the crew here runs it (you should see his airs!). I recommend a compression molded board and no hook. The hook can get in the way as you progress and everyone has to learn to hold on to that handle. You can start beginners off a beach or right near the beach. The Airageous is a decent board for cheap money. You can find other nice compression molded boards on ebay, the older HO boards, airageous, jokers, etc.

Good luck, I'm 40 and it's my favorite watersport. I'm getting pretty decent air now (wake2wake, air 180 fronts) from starting about 3 or 4yrs ago. Thumbup.gif I'll be heading down to ATL in a couple of weeks to a "Fly-in", (some of the best kneeboarders in the US will be there) to learn backrolls. If anyone's in the area look it up and check it out.

I would go with the HO Joker; I have had one for 5 years and it is holding up great! Although I agree with some of the other posts (as far as beating you up and killing your knees) instead of a wakeboard get a sky ski.

Definitely get a compression molded board. The plastic ones are old school and drag a lot. I don't recommend an HO Joker for anyone unless they are serious about going big. The reason is that the tail is very wide, which creates a lot of drag for setting up fast tricks, but will tire out an average rider really fast.

Good compression/fiberglass boards are the O'Brien Ricochet, Lowrider and Rush 5150, and the HO Element. I recommend all of these and they will all allow you to progress. In this case, the more expensive the board, the more rocker it has. More rocker means more air but also means rougher riding in rough water(it wants to jump off of every little bump).

Hydroslide makes a compression board, called the Kaos, but they'e had durability issues.

Hope this helps. If you need more info, go to http://www.kneeboardworld.com