Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

boat bogging out

northernlightboater

i've had 1990 malibu sunsetter past three years. every trip to lake starts good. first day runs great. second day starts bogging out off and on all day. gets worst third day. changed many fuel filters and fuel hoses. no water or dirt in filters.new carberator. new coil,plugs,wires,distributer cap, rotor. next trip to lake runs great first day, second day engine starts cutting out progressingly getting worst. every trip same problem. any one have any ideas how to fix this. thank you

i've had 1990 malibu sunsetter past three years. every trip to lake starts good. first day runs great. second day starts bogging out off and on all day. gets worst third day. changed many fuel filters and fuel hoses. no water or dirt in filters.new carberator. new coil,plugs,wires,distributer cap, rotor. next trip to lake runs great first day, second day engine starts cutting out progressingly getting worst. every trip same problem. any one have any ideas how to fix this. thank you

have you checked your timing and/or your fuel pump pressure?

Only suggestions here are to:

check the screws holding the condensor and points in the distributor.

Scrape the points clean and adjust them.

Change the points to electronic pick-up. $85 from Pertronix.

Replace the water seperating fuel filter. or add one if you don't have one.

Do a compresson and leak down test.

I would suggest rebuild the carb, because that's what I had to do, but you already replaced it. Maybe try to lube/clean or replace the choke mechanism.

• Like 1

This sounds like a fuel pump issue or fuel filter issue. If you replace the fuel pump, make sure it is a marine fuel pump and connect the vent line.

Are you getting much water in the bilge? Hows your battery connections? Hows your gas, is it fresh? did you fill your tank or is it less than half full?