Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'03 wakesetter

wvidal

I just found this site the other day lots of great info on here. I hope to beable to contribute one day when I get my first Malibu. That is what I am asking about. I found an 03 wakesetter here is the description from the ad 2003 Malibu Wakesetter Direct Drive, one owner, garage kept 335hp fuel injected Monsoon - 250 hours over 5 summers - great boat for combining very good wakeboarding with very good slalom skiing - yellow and black colors with matching Boatmate trailer with swing-away tongue for short garages - wakeboard tower that folds down for garage storage or comes off completely for more serious slalom ski course runs, if desired - matching yellow and black bimini that folds up (to get sun) or folds down for garage storage - gray boat cover for outside storage that fits around tower - sound system has Defon IV tower speakers (4 tweeters, 4 mid 's powered by amp), subwoofer, alpine cd/mp3 player, 4 inside-boat speakers, and iPoD or satellite radio plug in - 500lb ballast w/controls on dashboard plus wedge that produce great wakes - cruise control works great for skiing or wakeboarding, makes driving very easy ("marriage saver") - handles awesome - teak platform sanded and re-done at end of last summer (looks brand new) - 4 pop up cleats and pop up bow light - swivel driver 's seat - extra 's include combo ski 's, water ski rope, wakeboard rope, 3 neoprene vests, 3 orange vests, 4 bumpers and ropes, hand held spotlight for night docking. he is asking $25k and I was curious if there are things I need to look out for on this boat when I go and look at it. Thanks

92580248_1thumb_550x410.jpg

I have the exact same boat - except mine doesn't have the monsoon engine Cry.gif I'm not sure if it is the same as the Sunsetter LX because the Wakesetter has the Wake hull and I believe the Sunsetter came on the Diamond hull. The Wakesetter also has the ballast system. Regardless, I've been very happy with it as a crossover and family boat. No it doesn't have quite the wake of a Response for slalom, but I've skied my whole life, can cut pretty hard, and love the wake - don't ski in tournaments so don't care. Drop the wedge, fill the ballast and it's great for boarding. Again, I'm not entering any tournaments so if the wake isn't quite as good as a strictly wakeboarding boat's its's not that big of a deal to me. Add some extra sacs in the back and along the engine and you've got a boat you can surf behind too. The biggest question I think people should ask themselves when buying a boat is what they'll be using it for primarily and find one that fits. I needed one that could do it all and didn't have $50,000 to spend.

Sounds like this one has been well cared for but you can't always believe what is advertised. Check it out like you're buying a used car. Overall condition, cleanliness, service records, if any. Look at the oil on the dipstick in both the engine and trannsmission. Ask if they used fuel stabilizer and winterized it. How often did they change the fluids and filters. Ask if they ever had mechanical or cosmetic fixes done and why. Why are they selling it. I'd climb all over that thing inside and out, including the trailer and look close. You can tell when someone has really taken care of their boat versus cleaning it up to sell. Many dealers will do a buyer's check for you as well if you can tow it somewhere and don't mind paying a little for it. Good luck.

It looks like a newer version of my boat. I love mine! My buddy can slalom behind it, and after filling the sacks I've installed, we can all wakeboard behind it. We haven't tried surfing yet, and we probably won't.

I paid about that much for my 2001 a year-and-a-half ago. Seems like a good deal if the boat looks clean, and I agree with ffdawg's comments above, too.

I have the exact same boat - except mine doesn't have the monsoon engine Cry.gif I'm not sure if it is the same as the Sunsetter LX because the Wakesetter has the Wake hull and I believe the Sunsetter came on the Diamond hull. The Wakesetter also has the ballast system. Regardless, I've been very happy with it as a crossover and family boat. No it doesn't have quite the wake of a Response for slalom, but I've skied my whole life, can cut pretty hard, and love the wake - don't ski in tournaments so don't care. Drop the wedge, fill the ballast and it's great for boarding. Again, I'm not entering any tournaments so if the wake isn't quite as good as a strictly wakeboarding boat's its's not that big of a deal to me. Add some extra sacs in the back and along the engine and you've got a boat you can surf behind too. The biggest question I think people should ask themselves when buying a boat is what they'll be using it for primarily and find one that fits. I needed one that could do it all and didn't have $50,000 to spend.

Sounds like this one has been well cared for but you can't always believe what is advertised. Check it out like you're buying a used car. Overall condition, cleanliness, service records, if any. Look at the oil on the dipstick in both the engine and trannsmission. Ask if they used fuel stabilizer and winterized it. How often did they change the fluids and filters. Ask if they ever had mechanical or cosmetic fixes done and why. Why are they selling it. I'd climb all over that thing inside and out, including the trailer and look close. You can tell when someone has really taken care of their boat versus cleaning it up to sell. Many dealers will do a buyer's check for you as well if you can tow it somewhere and don't mind paying a little for it. Good luck.

Thanks for the input I'll let you know how it checks out.

I had a guy demo my boat yesterday. He is going to look at this 03. It seems like a good deal if it's in good shape.. He said he just had a baby and needs to sell it. My friend just sold his 03 for $29k or $30k with the same hours. He also said someone from NY offered him $23K and he said no. I think he's pretty firm on the price. Low price on nada is $25K for this boat.

The Sunsetter LX didn't come on the diamond hull with 2002 the only exception.