Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

has anyone changed there filter on the bottom of there transmission

ok her it is i have a 1998 responce with the monsoon which has the zf hurth marine hsw 450 d transmission. the trans has plenty of trans oil in it but it howls at the start of the day. the filter is on the bottom of the trans which there is only about one inch clearance from the hull i have already flushed out the oil but i need to change this clogged filter. has anyone changed the filter without taking the trans out of the boat?

Yea, I have removed the filter to check it the first four years I had the boat. It is just a screen shaped like a small can which can be cleaned. Just be real slow when removing so you can see the order in which the parts fall out. Remember which side of the filter goes up. There is a cover gasket then an o-ring gasket and then the filter. Drain the trans from the top, but place a plastic bag under the trans before loosening the cover because you will get about 4 more ozs from the bottom. It is easier to replace all the parts with two people, one on each side of the motor. Removal can be done yourself.

I tried and didn't have enough clearance in my 98 RLX, if i want to service it i've got to lift the motor up. I talked with Indmar and they said it's just a mesh screen to catch large debris so it doesn't filter that much.

True. Luckily I have about 2 to 3 inches under the trans. The filter is a cylindrical shaped screen, but right now I do not remember if it is open on both end or just one. If one end is screened, be sure to watch how it comes out so you can put it back in the same direction. Thats if you decide to do the filter task. Jacking up your powertrain will cause alignment problems which would need to be realigned to tolerances of 3/1000 of an inch.

Jacking up your powertrain will cause alignment problems which would need to be realigned to tolerances of 3/1000 of an inch.

i've questioned that tolerance for years so i'm going to jump right in and shoot myself in the foot.

i know the book calls for close tollerance on the alignment. i am not questioning the numbers.

i do question the reasoning. with the drive shaft disconnected the tailstock of the transmission will move a bunch. yes, all of the motor mounts are tight and this was when the rubber dampeners were newish (back in 05). given the amount of play at the rear end of the trans i just can't see where we really need to fret about a few thousandths. where am i missing what?

ICBW, its been about 5 months since I was in my boat, but I do not recall any rubber dampers on/in my motor mounts or trans. I thing it is rigidly mounted to the stringer system. Some of the players that could be affected by improper alignment would be your rear bearing and seal on the trans, your packing gland, your HDS, and the cutlass bearing.

Sping a misaligned shaft at 5000 RPM and you'll know why it has to be good to .003".

That being said I've seen boats that are way out....even .010" and they don't vibrate. Especially true with V-drives which are a PITA to align properly.

I've never felt any play with a motor securly mounted to motor mounts. Is it possible that the locking bolts on the tranny motor mounts were not 100% tight and that is the play you were feeling.

-Chris