Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Walter V-Drive Light

I just bought a used 2003 Malibu VLX and I noticed at idle the Walter V-Drive Light comes on. Accordingly to the manual I should add oil. I am seeking validate that it is oil and not transmission fluid. The manual says Pennzoil Onezoil SAE 30 Motor oil. Any help would be appreciated

The light is supposed to come on when you are below a certain RPM, IIRC 1000rpm. This is normal operation.

I also believe IIRC that it uses SAE 30 oil for that year v-drive. Check the owner's manual.

Usually normal as the obski said...IF it is a low, dock idling speeds...it shoud go off immediately once you take off. If you are running down the lake and it is on, THEN you have a problem. I was concerned about this when I got my boat but quickly found out that it was normal.

Welcome.gif

Hope this helps,

Edited by WaveMake'nLSV

OK, just to ensure that my pea brain picked this up correctly. It is normal for it to be on under 1000 RPM, and should go out above that, which it does?

Thanks I appreciate the help, the manual is not very specific and I was freaking our that I was going to ruin my new boat

Yahoo.gif

OK, just to ensure that my pea brain picked this up correctly. It is normal for it to be on under 1000 RPM, and should go out above that, which it does?

Thanks I appreciate the help, the manual is not very specific and I was freaking our that I was going to ruin my new boat

Yahoo.gif

Yes, that is correct.

Yep, normal. My boat has a placard of some sort by the light. Is yours gone?

Thanks I'll have to check when the rain stops