Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can you remove and replace side decals?

brettpendl

Hey all. Just wondering if its possible to remove the side decals from the new Malibus and replace them. For instance, is there a practical way one can remove the raised "Wakesetter" decal that is on the new boats without damaging anything? Is it possible to remove the older "W" decals with the tribal/flames that were on the boats before the new decal came out? Or are these decals pretty much permanent on the boats, like the gelcoat colors?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

You can remove them, aided by a little heat from a hair dryer. Depending on the age of the boat, the gel coat will show where the decal used to be. It is possible to make it less visible, but you might not be able to get it 'like new.'

Hey all. Just wondering if its possible to remove the side decals from the new Malibus and replace them. For instance, is there a practical way one can remove the raised "Wakesetter" decal that is on the new boats without damaging anything? Is it possible to remove the older "W" decals with the tribal/flames that were on the boats before the new decal came out? Or are these decals pretty much permanent on the boats, like the gelcoat colors?

Thanks in advance.

It is possible, it takes some time to get all the glue off. I replaced a side decal on my 88 Centurion and it took me a couple of hours to get the surface clean. Then I used oxidation remover on the side to help blend the gel coat color that was under the decal. Then re-waxed the area before the new decal was placed. Enitre project took about 3 hours from peel off to new decal.

I replaced the large Malibu decals on the side of my old Echelon. I used a hair dryer to heat them up and then a plastic putty knife to scrape them off. It seemed to work pretty easy. If you put new decals on, you can use a soap/water mixture so that you can move the decal around a little so that it is straight. I then used the same putty knife to squeeze out any air bubbles in the decals.

I changed mine out. I think everyone has it covered. Depending on use of your boat, you might find like new gel coat finish under the decal and slight fading or staining around it. A light wet sand or good polish will help blend it better. I almost think the soap/water technique is the only way to go when re-applying a decal of this size. Without you only get one shot to put the new one back on, which is pretty much impossible to do by hand. Use a mister bottle to soak the side of the boat, peel the backing off of the decal and put it on the wet boat, slide the decal to where you want it, squeegee out all of the water and bubbles, let it dry good before putting the boat in the water.

Thanks in advance.

It is possible, it takes some time to get all the glue off. I replaced a side decal on my 88 Centurion and it took me a couple of hours to get the surface clean. Then I used oxidation remover on the side to help blend the gel coat color that was under the decal. Then re-waxed the area before the new decal was placed. Enitre project took about 3 hours from peel off to new decal.

the only thing is cleaning it extremely well and Dont wax it untill u put the new sticker on... the wax will put a thin layer between the sticker and the gel coat and may or may not stay on or stick as good as it should... but like he said a heat gun and mid temp remover will do the trick just in personal experince with it (warped entire boat) u should just clean after using a remover and use a grease and dirt remover after it dries put the decal on and once it is on wait a day or two then wax the boat..