Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No Water circulation

I have a '99 Response LX with a 325 Monsoon. In anticipation of spring skiing I hooked up a fake a lake, started the engine, and get no water out of the exhaust vents at the stern. I replaced the impeller last year as part of routine maintenance, and verified it is working properly by disconnecting the outlet hose & starting the engine - water pumps out the outlet hose. Tried putting the original impellor back in with a new gasket - no joy. Thinking it was the thermostat I removed same - no difference. The hoses are connected correctly - I disconnect them one by one when winterizing and replace one before going on to the next. It seems as if no water is getting to the manifolds, almost as if the main water pump (not the impellor) went bad - though it worked fine last November before I put it to bed for the winter. Any ideas?

If the engine is cold, it shouldn't be the engine circulating pump because it is out of the loop for the most part until the t-stat opens up. When the engine is cold, water goes from the raw pump up the the bypass block where the t-stat is and to the manifolds where it goes out the exhaust. When the engine gets to temp and the t-stat opens, then it lets water out of the block from the circ pump and it goes out the exhaust through the manifolds with the bypass water. So, with a cold engine I think you can rule out just about anything with the motor itself. I assume you are getting all kinds of water out of the fake a lake under the boat (I've never used one). Water can't just come in without a place to go. Are you sure it's sealed up on the hull good? Any blockage on the inlet side of the trans fluid cooler? It would have to be totally blocked to get absolutely nothing out the exhaust though. If you took apart the bypass block where the t-stat is, did you get the right gaskets back in so that the bypass isn't blocked off somehow?

There is plenty of water coming out from around the fake a lake. The seal appears to be good because there was good flow when I disconnected the outflow hose from the impeller and turned the engine over. I made sure that the gasket didn't block the bypass when the t-stat was installed but I didn't check to see if it was clogged. I guess the next step will be to take the bypass block off again and check to see if the inlet is clogged. If that's not the problem I'll check for blockage on the inlet side of the trans fluid cooler. Thanks for your input.

Take the hose off the transmission cooler (on the inlet side) and make sure there is nothing clogging it. Even if your last impeller came out in one piece, you may have sucked somthing up that solidified over the winter time. Just a thought.

Edited by spinxt

You need to have someone look under the boat under initial startup and see if the boat is pulling water. Also a little bump of the throttle will sometimes help prime the impeller.

Water will pour out from around the fake a lake before you start it, then when it starts up you should see almost no water from around the fake a lake.

It can take awhile to see water from the exhaust, as long as the boat is taking water don't worry about it.

-Chris

You need to have someone look under the boat under initial startup and see if the boat is pulling water. Also a little bump of the throttle will sometimes help prime the impeller.

Water will pour out from around the fake a lake before you start it, then when it starts up you should see almost no water from around the fake a lake.

It can take awhile to see water from the exhaust, as long as the boat is taking water don't worry about it.

-Chris

And watch your temp guage, if it shoots up at a rapid rate you know it's not getting water.

I would guess it took almost 90 seconds for water to come out of my exhaust this year. Then it was only one side for another minute before it came out both sides. Might have been longer. The first time I looked there was no water coming out.

How long did you run it?

Thanks everyone. Turns out this was a bad/defective fake a lake. I disconnected the inlet hose and connected a water hose directly via a rag & a hose clamp and everything was fine, got water out of the exhaust. Took the boat out on the river yesterday and it ran like a champ. Initially the temp got up to 180, reved the engine and it seemed like it got rid of an air bubble. Temp dropped to 160 and stayed there all day. Went snow skiing on Saturday, water skiing on Sunday - man I love California. I've used this fake a lake for at least 8 years, never had a problem before, it looks fine. I have no idea how a glorified toilet plunger would go bad. In any event it's in the trash and I'm looking for a direct connection/valve setup. Thanks again for the advise.

Thanks everyone. Turns out this was a bad/defective fake a lake. I disconnected the inlet hose and connected a water hose directly via a rag & a hose clamp and everything was fine, got water out of the exhaust. Took the boat out on the river yesterday and it ran like a champ. Initially the temp got up to 180, reved the engine and it seemed like it got rid of an air bubble. Temp dropped to 160 and stayed there all day. Went snow skiing on Saturday, water skiing on Sunday - man I love California. I've used this fake a lake for at least 8 years, never had a problem before, it looks fine. I have no idea how a glorified toilet plunger would go bad. In any event it's in the trash and I'm looking for a direct connection/valve setup. Thanks again for the advise.

Get a Perko Flush Pro. You won't be sorry. I never trusted that fake-a-lake that I had.

I found that if the F-A-L water outlet was pointing at the side of the water pickup, when I pushed it under the boat, the F-A-L compressed and partially blocked the water flow. When I put the outlet directly in front of the pickup, I had no issue. .02 worth