Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just got done reading an interesting thread about towing with the tower down.

Bobby Light

So I was reading a thread over on Wakeworld about towing with the tower down. Does anyone actually do this on here? If so why and how do you secure the tower?

So I was reading a thread over on Wakeworld about towing with the tower down. Does anyone actually do this on here? If so why and how do you secure the tower?

No way...that sounds like scratch city to me! I couldn't imagine how much it would bounce around. What would be the point in putting it down anyway? Unless you want to be sure you don't back it into the garage with it up. (speaking from experience).

It would actually be nice to tow with the tower down to save on Bug City! We get alot of bugs on our towers. But I don't think I would try it with the Illusion X.. When I did have my boat shipped however it was down and leaning up against the dash and put a small indent in the dash which I was a little upset about but it seems to have come back to normal...

I would do it for the bugs problem too. In fact, I made a prop for the front section of the Titan II that will hold it a couple inches over the windshield. Plus the rear section laying on the rear deck. Should work fine, and can't hurt the mileage while being towed.

Wouldn't do it. I do have supports for the Titan II tower when going in/out of storage area, but wouldn't want to tow using them.

Too much of a down-side if the tower fall or the support moves - windshields are $$$ to replace.

I wrap the tower in moving stretch-wrap I bought at Home Depot before towing any distance. Only takes about 5 mins to wrap/unwrap & no bug problems.

You can tow w/ the Illusion in the down position that's how they are shipped from Malibu to the dealers. Bolts are inserted at the base once the tower is lowered to keep it from moving. Keep in mind you'll need something on the dash folded up. Over time, this could leave a mark, so bear that in mind.

It would actually be nice to tow with the tower down to save on Bug City! We get alot of bugs on our towers. But I don't think I would try it with the Illusion X.. When I did have my boat shipped however it was down and leaning up against the dash and put a small indent in the dash which I was a little upset about but it seems to have come back to normal...

Spray Pam Cooking spray on the tower and you will not have bug problems. A guy told us that last year and it works great.

Spray Pam Cooking spray on the tower and you will not have bug problems. A guy told us that last year and it works great.

I will be hitting mine with Mothers or Meguiars quick detailing spray. A spray-on, wipe-off wax that will make it alot easier to wipe clean.

Yes I would love to get that all over the interior, awesome idea Yuk.gif

I meant to spray it on a cloth and then wipe down the tower. I guess I assumed the obvious.

I meant to spray it on a cloth and then wipe down the tower. I guess I assumed the obvious.

so, should we be spraying (wiping) the front of our vehicles with Pam cooking oil spray as well?

so, should we be spraying (wiping) the front of our vehicles with Pam cooking oil spray as well?

ROFL.gif

I put Meguires on that too, on a regular basis, and hit the headlights, fog lights and tail lights with Rain-x on a regular basis in the rainy season to keep them shining bright. Helps keeps them clean, and harder for snow to accumulate.

Original or garlic & Butter??? Tease.gif

The only person I've ever heard talk about towing with his tower down was a SAN owner, 'And it was actually designed to do that..' Ya, right.

Don't do it.