Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

prop shaft leakage and water in the ski locker

nemalibu

Hello All:

I just took my 03 21 LSV for my first ride since I purchased her in October. WOW! This boat is GREAT!!! My last boat was an 18' stern drive with a Merc 190. My Malibu makes that feel like a lumbering tanker in comparison. (More importantly, my wife liked it too.)

I do have a few questions:

1. I looked at the leakage around the prop shaft seal while we were in the water. It seemed to be leaking a few drops per second. Is this too much leakage? If so do I simply put a wrench on the seal nut and tighten it? If so, does anyone know how far I should turn it?

2. I was out for only 1.5 hours and when I took the boat out there was some water in the ski locker. I had a plug in place at the rear of the ski locker. Does anyone know where this water could be comming from? I plan to moor the boat for 3-4 weeks at a stretch. Will the leakage be an issue over that time period?

3. The blower is making a rather bad screatching noise. My guess is that it needs replacement. How hard is this to do? What does the blower cost?

Any input would be welcome.

Congrats on the bu!

Not sure about #1 and #2 but as far as #3 you can pick the blower up for about $20 and it takes just a few minutes to swap out. Just cut the wires of the old blower and use butt end splice connectors to connect the new blower.

#1 Prop packing should drip several times per minute, not per second. You'll need two basin wrenches. Back off the jam nut, tighten the main nut slightly, retighten the jam nut. Test. Repeat.

#2 Any water in the boat will migrate under the bilge liner. As long as you are not taking on water from any other sources, you should not gain water while moored. But it will find it's way into the locker.

Have fun!

Thanks for the input so far.

Does anyone know where I should order the blower from?

I will see how easy it is to get wrenches on the nuts in question. It looks like I will need to do this adjustment with the boat in the water. Should I expect a different leak rate when the prop shaft it turning vs when it is not turning?

Regarding the water in the ski locker; I was unaware that there was anything between the floor of the ski locker and the bottom of the boat, besides a liftable plastic floor cover in the ski locker (and I have lifted that to dry the surface under it). Is there a subfloor that I do not see? I was under the impression that the plug in the rear of the ski locker closed it off from the rest of the bilge. Can water get into the locker area via some other path? [i have an 03 Sunscape 21 LSV.]

if the boat has been out of the water for several months over the winter, make sure that you let the packing "re-hydrate" well before tightening.

if the boat has been out of the water for several months over the winter, make sure that you let the packing "re-hydrate" well before tightening.

Any idea how long it will take to rehydrate?