Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Monza on the way.....

spinxt

I just ordered a new 2008 Monza from H2Osmosis (through their demo program). I can't wait until it gets here. I skied my buddy's 2006 Monza and loved it....and from what I've heard of the 2008 version, it's just as fast out of the turn, but a little more forgiving than the 2006 I skied. Dontknow.gif I guess I'll see when it gets here. The worst case, if I don't like it, I can send it back and try another ski......great program.

It's going to be a long few days waiting!!! Yahoo.gif

Edited by spinxt

I'm sure you know that GalaxyToad has a slew of info regarding fin tuning. I got a Monza last year and initially it wheelied big time on the off side. Somebody on the Nichols board was talking about a modification to the wing that mimics Schnitz's Slot Fin -- that cured the prob. If this happens to you I'll describe what I did.

This is a great ski, really steps up your game.

I'm sure you know that GalaxyToad has a slew of info regarding fin tuning. I got a Monza last year and initially it wheelied big time on the off side. Somebody on the Nichols board was talking about a modification to the wing that mimics Schnitz's Slot Fin -- that cured the prob. If this happens to you I'll describe what I did.

Where can I find the fin tuning info?

Where can I find the fin tuning info?

Send him a PM and he will be of great help.

I believe he is running a Schnitz Slot fin on his Monza now. I am doing the same (2005 Monza I think) and it is better than I was able to get with by tuning the stock fin.

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up a 2006 Monza from GT. He set it all up for me and so far I have skied it once; I love it! Can't wait to get really dialed in with it and ski like a madman all summer. Good luck with your new Monza!

I love my Monza. I just dropped the tip of the fin a bit, which I have done on every ski I've had. The only issue I have is biting too hard on my off side. But thats nothing new for me.

Matt, you ought to be able to help the muddy water by either increasing the fin depth or moving it back.

I know, but I hate getting out the wrenches and calipers twice a week when I bounce from lake to lake.

UPDATE---->

All I have to say is WOW!!! What a ski. I've only been out on it twice (about 6 sets or so total), but I love it already. THe first time I skied, it was straight out of the box. It felt a little squirlly and inconsistint, but still WAY better than the O'brien Seige I came from. Then I set the fin with a caliper using the numbers GT gave me (Thank you!!). Tonight it skied beautifully!!! I'm going to have soooooo much fund this summer elevating my skiing.

Yahoo.gifClap.gifYahoo.gifClap.gif

What are the fin settings you are using. I have been demoing a 2008 Monza and would be interested in trying the setting.

Thanks

Matt, you ought to be able to help the muddy water by either increasing the fin depth or moving it back.

I know, but I hate getting out the wrenches and calipers twice a week when I bounce from lake to lake.

Moving it back will add tip pressure and make your problem worse. Cold water is dense and supportive making the ski fly and freeing up the front a little. When the water gets warm or muddy (slow) you need to take a little tip out or go forward a little to get the same feel.

What are your numbers right now?

Ok, now I'm a bit confused. If you move the fin forward, it will make the ski feel like a shorter one and be more responsive, won't it? Someday I need about an hour (or day) of hydrodynamics coaching, Bill. :)

Anyway, Matt talked about the ski wanting to over-turn. Here's some info from the Goode site:

Ski overturns and gets too much angle across wakes--Move fin backward

Ski is too responsive--Increase fin depth and/or move fin backward

Moving it back will add tip pressure and make your problem worse. Cold water is dense and supportive making the ski fly and freeing up the front a little. When the water gets warm or muddy (slow) you need to take a little tip out or go forward a little to get the same feel.

That's right, the Monza is sortof backwards in that regard. I think I'm currently 6.835/2.515/.710. That's ballpark anyways. It absolutely rips on my normal ski lake (colder, clear dense water). When I get on course down here in the Milwaukee area, it's on warm water that has a lot of sediments. The ski tries to over-turn and hops coming out of my off-side turn. I can adjust this out, but I don't like to. I want it to perform well in both conditions. That's what I've heard the slot is good for.

Matt,

I'm assuming you're referring to Neosho. I'm running a slot fin on my Monza and split time between Neosho and Upper Nemahbin and it feels pretty darn identical for both the clear water and the mud pit up in Neosho. Definitely worth trying out IMO.

Mike

Can someone explain this "slot fin" we're talking about Dontknow.gif Is it an after-market fin, or a modification to the existing fin?

Ok, now I'm a bit confused. If you move the fin forward, it will make the ski feel like a shorter one and be more responsive, won't it? Someday I need about an hour (or day) of hydrodynamics coaching, Bill. :)

Anyway, Matt talked about the ski wanting to over-turn. Here's some info from the Goode site:

Ski overturns and gets too much angle across wakes--Move fin backward

Ski is too responsive--Increase fin depth and/or move fin backward

Over-turning can come from 2 different conditions. One from the front of the ski and one from the back.

Case #1 - You have reasonable depth and DFT but too much length. The length puts a lot of the ski's forebody in the water early, it bites hard and the operator says "the ski over turns."

Case #2 - You have reasonable length and either it's too far forward or too shallow and you get the "hockey stop" over turn. This is why tuning skis over the internet is so damn hard.

All things equal I isolate the DFT dimension and effect like this: The farther back the fin is the more effect it can have over the front of the ski (a lever arm) and the more pronounced it's effect. 6.840" long means a lot more at 0.700"DFT than it does at 0.720"DFT.

Moving the fin forward will tighten a ski's "natural" or "potential" turn radius but will relieve some of the tip pressure at the same time. These 2 effects happen at different rates on different designs. That's why it pays to specialize I guess.

One thing we're not talking about is the biggest variable of all, the operator's input. People who really crawl up hard on the front of a ski simply can not run a lot of length because they are engaging the front of the ski on their own. If you are really quiet and hang back in a "coming off the ball" position most of the time you'll see them running a lot more length.

There is nothing easy about this, but as far as the Monza is concerned, I like to run 2.515" deep, 6.840" long (jaws) and then DFT to taste. Warm water vs. cold water etc.

Thanks, Bill. I assume you'll make a stop out here this summer? And I KNOW you'll bring your tools. ;)