Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response throttle issue

Hey all. We just bought our 2000 Response last summer and it RIPS. First time owning a Malibu and I couldn't be happier. The one issue that I've had that is a bit annoying is that the throttle seems a little loose. It holds fine when the boat is planing, but if I'm trying to just putt around on a sunset cruise or something, the throttle will slip back to headway speed. In order to maintain speed I have to leave my hand on the throttle and hold it. How can I tighten the throttle up a bit so that it will stay?

I asked the same question after I first had my Response. It's a safety feature. It goes abck to idle easily, so it doesn't take off. I don't think there is a way to tighten in up BICBW....

Malibu has an official part, which amounts to nothing more than a zip tie, which is applied to the throttle cable near the manifold to increase the resistance of the cable in the jacket. It needs to be applied with caution though, as you only want to increase the resistance enough to prevent the hand throttle from slipping back. Anymore and you'll prematurely wear out the throttle cable and need to replace it.

If you have Morse Controls, I bought a CABLE BRAKE from a local Morse dealer. It was part no. 44386 for a MV-2 Control. The cost was $11.01 back in 1993. The dealer I used was Metropolitan Diesel Supply 313-272-6370. This worked great and is a Morse part. This will solve your problem.

OK thanks for the input guys. I will look into the throttle brake before I put her in the water for the summer.

Some pictures just for the heck of it.

Picture094.jpg

Picture091.jpg