Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can't Find the Leak!

I bought my Sporster last October. Drove from Nova Scotia to North Carolina to get it. We took it out for a short drive when we were there, but didn't notice it taking on water. We bought it from Park Boat Co., who was selling it for someone else. In phone conversations they neglected to tell us about the prop, which had been hit, and several other blemishes. We had asked specifically about anything that was not in new condition so there were no surprises when we arrived to pick it up. Needless to say we were somewhat dissappointed with their lack of honesty. We would have bought the boat anyway, even if they would have told us everything. Anyway, back to the point. It takes on water to the tune of 1 gallon about every 15-20 minutes. Now one would think this would be easy to find. No. I put new seals in the rudder port, resealed the paddlewheel, and even filled the bilge with water to see where it would come out. Water came out the hole around the shaft, but when the boat is in the water there is no leak there, or anywhere else in the rear of the boat. The bilge still fills, but not from there. I can't find any holes in the hull. A leak that size should be obvious. Does anyone here have any ideas of where it may be coming from? Dontknow.gif

Thanks

Todd

Hydro box leak, sounds like due to a pretty good prop or strut impact. This is not covered under warranty, even if the 2nd(?) owner transferred the lifetime warranty.

Peter

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't seem to be the box or the packing. I've looked very closely in that area, especially since the prop was hit. The bilge in the rear stays dry while the boat fills. It seems as if it is something forward. I'm going to take the baffle out ahead of the engine so I can see the whole bilge and put it back in the water this afternoon.

i had a similar problem with my sportster. the swim platform was loose. and the water was getting in from the mounting brackets. check that out.

Now I understand. I think I found it. The fiberglass on the inside of the hydro box cracks and the water migrates under the bilge floor and comes out through a crack up by the bilge pump. I just finished cleaning it up and refiberglassing it. Hopefully it will work. Thank you all. :)

A final thought an this subject.......I wonder why there wasn't a full matt of fiberglass on the bottom of the hydro box? There was only resin in the center, so when the shaft or strut gets struck, it cracks the resin. Malibu designs such good boats, I wonder why they left this a bit on the weak side? Actually, I wonder why they just don't mould a mount for the packing gland like my old Mastercraft. It seems to be a proven design, and I think I remember reading a post on here a few months ago about a fix for this problem being a second packing gland at the point where the shaft comes through the hull.

All in all though, I am extremely happy with the Malibu. Beautiful boat. The good points far outweigh this minor inconvenience.

this minor inconvenience.

It's sort of a major inconvenience to those of us who don't do fiberglass work, especially when your dealer isn't able to fix it either. If your boat were to fill up and sink, well, that could end up being a major inconvenience as well.

A final thought an this subject.......I wonder why there wasn't a full matt of fiberglass on the bottom of the hydro box? There was only resin in the center, so when the shaft or strut gets struck, it cracks the resin. Malibu designs such good boats, I wonder why they left this a bit on the weak side? Actually, I wonder why they just don't mould a mount for the packing gland like my old Mastercraft. It seems to be a proven design, and I think I remember reading a post on here a few months ago about a fix for this problem being a second packing gland at the point where the shaft comes through the hull.

All in all though, I am extremely happy with the Malibu. Beautiful boat. The good points far outweigh this minor inconvenience.

HDS issues are common for your year boat and you are describing exactly the symptom I had when mine went. Having had the HDS repaired should almost be a positive selling attribute! I could never actually see the water coming in but it was. I'll never forget the feeling of my feet getting wet when I pulled back on the throttle to swing around to get my wife when she was done with her run. Then there were all the wise a$$ "forget your drain plug" comments in the boat launch when my boat was draining.

FWIW this probably will be the only significant problem you will ever have with the boat!

I wouldn't waste the time trying to fix that Hydro Box. Just install a shaft log and forget it. Those HDS boxes are a PPD(PISS POOR DESIGN). I had a shaft log installing mine.

Shaft log thread

I totally agree with this, It's either arrogance or stupidity that causes them to keep perpetuating the problem. Fortunately my boat was made with a shaft log and has been trouble free. Do what SS Bob says, you will be glad you did.