Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Switching prop

I am buying a new prop for my VTX (acme 1235). My question is when I am tightening or loosening the nut, what do I secure the shaft with to keep it from turning. Do I grab on to it with some pliers (rubber between pliers and shaft) or do I put it in gear? Dontknow.gif I have never taken a prop off. It may sound like a "dumb" question, but I thought I would ask some people who have done this before, besides I heard somewhere that the only "dumb" question is the one not asked. Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice. Thumbup.gif

I am buying a new prop for my VTX (acme 1235). My question is when I am tightening or loosening the nut, what do I secure the shaft with to keep it from turning. Do I grab on to it with some pliers (rubber between pliers and shaft) or do I put it in gear? Dontknow.gif I have never taken a prop off. It may sound like a "dumb" question, but I thought I would ask some people who have done this before, besides I heard somewhere that the only "dumb" question is the one not asked. Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice. Thumbup.gif

just block the prop with a piece of wood. do not take the nut completly off before loosening the prop though.

block with wood to the floor or trailer. do you have a prop puller to get it loose? DONT hit the prop or shaft with a hammer.

just block the prop with a piece of wood. [b]do not take the nut completly off before loosening the prop though.

I found this out the hard way a few years ago. Not knowing I took the nut completely off. Once the prop broke free it caused the wrench to knock me up side the head. It actually knocked me out cold for about 5 minutes. Woke up Drool.gif ing and thought next time I'll leave the nut on the shaft. Dontknow.gif

just block the prop with a piece of wood. [b]do not take the nut completly off before loosening the prop though.

I found this out the hard way a few years ago. Not knowing I took the nut completely off. Once the prop broke free it caused the wrench to knock me up side the head. It actually knocked me out cold for about 5 minutes. Woke up Drool.gif ing and thought next time I'll leave the nut on the shaft. Dontknow.gif

Wow, though lesson. Glad you woke up.

Now then, how many fingers am I holding up? Rockon.gif

You're welcome Tmac.

Greg,

I just whipped that up during lunch one day to give to another crew member. If I had the time, I would have removed my prop and taken pics. to make it even better. You guys can put it in the DIY if you want.

Here's what the Clymer manual says....

PropPuller.pdf

You're welcome Tmac.

Greg,

I just whipped that up during lunch one day to give to another crew member. If I had the time, I would have removed my prop and taken pics. to make it even better. You guys can put it in the DIY if you want.

Here's what the Clymer manual says....

Dude... Shouldn't you be delivering packages or something? Our FedEx guy never takes a lunch break, he's to busy driving around the hood on two wheels to make it home before the sun goes down!

Edited by woody
Dude... Shouldn't you be delivering packages or something? Our FedEx guy never takes a lunch break, he's to busy driving around the hood on two wheels to make it home before the sun goes down!

That guy needs to go on a ride along with the Pistol for a day.

I'll show him how to make 130 stops in a day, take an extended lunch, and keep the customers happy.

My Acme puller kit says to torque prop nut to approxamitly 35 ft lbs. That is not a lot but that's what I use. I just finished taking my prop off and putting back on. Just part of my yearly maintenance routine. Mostly to keep it from siezing to shaft due to length of time between removals. Just thought I would let all know the torque spec.

• 4 weeks later...
good info. I'll update my doc.

PPete - thanks for the update. The document and related "experiences" are now part of our on board reference manual -- something we all need to read. In my "brand new" OJ prop kit (thanks again D-Goose!) there is "one" brass bar and "one" cotter pin -- does anyone have a source for these -- I'm thinking that I should have a minimum of "4" since I'll most likely loose the first 2 and bend the third... :)

In addition -- I noticed that the ACME kit had needle nose pliers -- something I also need, as my current kit only has "normal" pliers" -- thanks again for helping to educate the massess... have a great day.

You can pick up stainless steel cotter pins at Home Depot or here.. I just picked up a bunch to have on hand.

You can buy the brass key here. And, it'd be good to have an extra nylok nut, here.

No, I don't work for Discount Inboard Marine but, they are a very good place to get parts. And, your welcome for the info.

I bent my prop yesterday and I'm going to be attempting my first prop replacement. Thanks for the links - the procedure seems pretty straightforward from the way it's described. Unfortunately, since my boat is on a lift and not on a trailer I'm going to have to do this while in the water.

A couple of questions for the experts:

- How tight is the prop nut from the factory?

- When loosening the prop nut, if I block the prop from rotating with a 2x4, does that damage the blade on the prop? Or is the prop nut easy to loosen?

Thanks!

A couple of questions for the experts:

- How tight is the prop nut from the factory?

:unsure: How to gauge that? Dontknow.gif Loosened mine with just the prop nut wrench, no breaker bar required.

- When loosening the prop nut, if I block the prop from rotating with a 2x4, does that damage the blade on the prop?

You won't hurt the prop blades. No.gif

Do yourself a favor and tie "leashes" on your prop wrench, prop puller, the prop,...you won't drop anything if you have the leashes in place but if you don't... :unsure: ...you know something is going in the drink. Yes.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu