Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf on '08 Vlx

chrisallenhogs

I know this has been covered but with about 6 people what is the best setup I can have on the VLX for wakesurfing. I don't have the front ballast but I do have several sacs that I can use. should have 6 people this weekend and I have the power wedge. last weekend we put 300lbs up front, the rear locker of the side we were surfing full, middle tank full and wedge about half way in maximum size. All people to surf side of boat. I have about 800lbs more in 3 sacs. What should I do?

I don't have the power wedge, I have the free floater. Even so, here's my recipe:

Front MLS full (350)

Center MLS full (500)

Rear surf side full (200)

750 in rear surf side compartment (full it might get 500)

Bag on surf side seat in cabin (4-500, depending)

Rear off side empty

Wedge down

10.4 mph

Put another 2-300 up front on the surf side & it gets better, longer.

2 normal sized adults, 2 kids will give you this:

post-1-1209150546_thumb.jpg

WakeGirl, thanks for the picture. I remeber seeing this one last year. I've tried a similar weighting in my VLX but on the port side. I only had limited experience with wakesurfing last year (about 1 week) but I don't recall a wake quite like that. Since we have very similar setups, I am wondering if you know what your port wake would look like ( or what role prop rotation has in our boats, as it is seemingly more biased for starboard side wakes)? Thanks

I had to dig around for a good pic since we don't surf that side very often. It's very similar, although this was taken 2 years ago when we still had the old fixed wedge & we were still figuring the system out (my sis-inlaw learning to surf). But that day we had close to the same weight in the cabin in people, so it's pretty comparable. Unfortunately it doesn't have any of the boat in it for reference. It can be tricky to get it dialed in. Speed is really important - the more weight that you add, you generally have to bump the speed up a little bit. We started at 9.8, but now we're up to around 10.4-10.6 (you'll want to verify it with a GPS, a speedo that's off can throw the whole thing out of whack). Also, if you have the power wedge then I've been hearing that full down will usually result in a cleaner wake than having it back at all. And of course having everyone on the surf side is key, even one person on the other side can foul things up.

post-1-1209224284_thumb.jpg

I had to dig around for a good pic since we don't surf that side very often. It's very similar, although this was taken 2 years ago when we still had the old fixed wedge & we were still figuring the system out (my sis-inlaw learning to surf). But that day we had close to the same weight in the cabin in people, so it's pretty comparable. Unfortunately it doesn't have any of the boat in it for reference. It can be tricky to get it dialed in. Speed is really important - the more weight that you add, you generally have to bump the speed up a little bit. We started at 9.8, but now we're up to around 10.4-10.6 (you'll want to verify it with a GPS, a speedo that's off can throw the whole thing out of whack). Also, if you have the power wedge then I've been hearing that full down will usually result in a cleaner wake than having it back at all. And of course having everyone on the surf side is key, even one person on the other side can foul things up.

WOW! That's so nice!

I am pretty sure when we took our own pictures we didn't have the optimal setup. But one thing I would change is what you brought up: power wedge all down. I've tried putting wedge part down like some recommend in past but I think it destroys the lip. Hopefully our ice will be gone soon and I'll try it!

Thanks!