Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

night ride

outkastzkerry

has/does anyone do night riding i wanted to add some lights to my tower but didnt know if it was even reasonable... it sounds like a good idea and fun but has anyone done it and could give me a idea on a light set up??

ooo and we have snakes and gators in our canals should i be worried??

Don't know about the 50 US states..... but here in Canada, that would be illegal. Possibly ultra stupid as well.

Ever wonder why they actually create laws...... often to help people protect themselves from themselves.

Our laws say no towing from one hour after sunset, until sunrise.

Don't know about the 50 US states..... but here in Canada, that would be illegal. Possibly ultra stupid as well.

Ever wonder why they actually create laws...... often to help people protect themselves from themselves.

Our laws say no towing from one hour after sunset, until sunrise.

So is it dark for that one hour after sunset?

I would never wakeboard night riding. Hard to look into the lights, also probably very dangerous. I have however gone late into dusk wakesurfing with tower lights. I enjoy it. I think its relatively safe, but wouldn't make a habbit of it. It does violate our laws. I'd never go in complete blackness though.

If you have gators, I am not sure I'd want to be anywhere near the water at night.

Over the years we have ridden after dark a number of times. Yes, it's illegal most anywhere. But then again so is speeding on the highway, and I'd bet most all the members do it.

You have to be smart about it. If there is any way for things to go bad, don't do it.

Don't do it drunk.

Don't do it stoned.

Don't do it where there are hungry snakes & gators.

Don't do it where Johnny Law is going to reign on the parade.

Don't do it where there is ANY amount of boat traffic.

Do do it when there is a full moon out, and lots of stars.

Do put glowsticks on the rider's vest & the board/ski.

Do use your nav lights (we never used tower lighting).

Do things slow & deliberate, especially when pulling up to your swimming rider (it's kinda like playing Marco Polo when you were a kid).

The bottom line is don't be stupid. Realize that it's dangerous & either don't do it, or do it as smart as possible. We've had a lot of fun doing it & never had a problem.

has/does anyone do night riding i wanted to add some lights to my tower but didnt know if it was even reasonable... it sounds like a good idea and fun but has anyone done it and could give me a idea on a light set up??

No worries, they won't harm you, anything you have heard about the potential danger is incorrect. Its kinda like evacuation warnings during an iminent hurricane, its nothing but B/S. Riding at night is a great idea and you will have the whole Canal to yourself.

Edited by LS-One

New Orleans is my home town and I spent a lot of time on the water there. Out of curiosity where are you planning on going your night voyage?

Bill_AirJunky did give you good advise and in addition I would add if a red and green light is coming at you it is a boat - dah and if a red pair of eyes are between you and the boat it is a Gator.

-Dave

Over the years we have ridden after dark a number of times. Yes, it's illegal most anywhere. But then again so is speeding on the highway, and I'd bet most all the members do it.

You have to be smart about it. If there is any way for things to go bad, don't do it.

Don't do it drunk.

Don't do it stoned.

Don't do it where there are hungry snakes & gators.

Don't do it where Johnny Law is going to reign on the parade.

Don't do it where there is ANY amount of boat traffic.

Do do it when there is a full moon out, and lots of stars.

Do put glowsticks on the rider's vest & the board/ski.

Do use your nav lights (we never used tower lighting).

Do things slow & deliberate, especially when pulling up to your swimming rider (it's kinda like playing Marco Polo when you were a kid).

The bottom line is don't be stupid. Realize that it's dangerous & either don't do it, or do it as smart as possible. We've had a lot of fun doing it & never had a problem.

Great post!. I myself have also done it. In my younger days, I did break some of the rules above, but I wouldn't do that now. If you do it, be safe.

when i lived in West Palm Beach we did it all the time at (pardon my spelling) Okeheelee Park (i lived about a mile away from there). Of course there it WAS legal to do, because the ski course was lit up. It was definitely strange putting in the boat, looking down the sides of the banks, and seeing the beady little red eyes of the gators.

It made you think twice about it. It was a rush skiing at night though.

How do you go and willingly get into a body of water where you can see the gators lining the shores??? I'd be crapping my pants every time I fell and was waiting for the boat to circle back around and pick me up.

How do you go and willingly get into a body of water where you can see the gators lining the shores??? I'd be crapping my pants every time I fell and was waiting for the boat to circle back around and pick me up.

believe it or not, you get used to it.

When we first moved there, we lived off a small canal that lead to all the lakes and canals in Delray Beach. Someone told us, don't worry about the gators, they are afraid of V8s. Well one of the first times out, we were putting along to head to the main canal (this was right in the middle of the day), and we see about a 10 foot gator heading right online with us. he keeps right on course, submerges about 10 feet before us, glides under, and pops back up about 5 feet behind the boat. So much for being afraid of V8s. My wife and are were like, ok, you go first, no you go first. First time we ever had that "debate"...

But after a while, we did get used to it. We lived there several years, and there were 2 alligator attacks. One was a small boy deep in the woods that accidentally walked across a nesting mother's den, the other was a drunk 22 year old college student who jumped into a pit to "wrestle" a couple of gators.

Of course, we did hear a lot of stories of the smaller dogs in the yard, and suddenly being gone, but we had dobermans at the time. Now we have more problems with coyotes and our overly agressive chiuaua/terrier.

WIth GATORS..... and SNAKES !

Your a carzy SOB. Have fun.

Ya know, this may not be so crazy as it sounds. . .

If you're gonna get bit by a water moccasin, do you really wanna watch it come toward you first?

It's illegal in Oregon the moment the sunsets. That being said, tower lights will actually make it harder to see the surface, or things floating on the surface, of the water. It would be safest just to run nav lights, and do it on a night when there is a lot of moon light. Put couple glow sticks on the riders life vest. Try not to use a spot light as that will ruin your night vision. As for safety there are a lot more dangerous things on a boat that are legal than night skiing.

...and I thought my surfing with sharks was a bad idea. You are braver man than I.

And it's not like you actually see the sharks...

No kidding...and I'd like to keep it that way. Heeere fishyfishyfishy!

One thing to consider is if there are houses on the lake. The homeowners hear the boats all day long, give them a break at night. Anyways, night is for skinny dipping...

We do a ton of night riding on a small little lake by my house with tower lights. When it gets really dark we go from wakeboarding to surfin and we'll ride til midnight during the week, we make little beds in the alley way for the kids and away we go. I actually like it better cause the water is dead calm, there's no moron's cutting you off, and we have the whole lake to our selves and we get a little star gazzing before going home Thumbup.gif . Now i just need to pick up some HIDs for our new boat this year, if i can find some money somewhere.