Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

BI Boom; starboard or port

wanttoski

Hey has anyone used a BI boom off the starboard side? I always use mine off the port, but was just thinking that if it would work, it might be more convenient. I'll have to try it out this spring.

I know 2 guys who install one on each side to get as much water time as possible. And with the price of gas now a days, the fuel economy would pay for the second boom in less than a season I guess...

Edited by 1FootDan
Hey has anyone used a BI boom off the starboard side? I always use mine off the port, but was just thinking that if it would work, it might be more convenient. I'll have to try it out this spring.

When we went to school in Florida, they had theirs on the starboard side

I had BI do a custom bend for me so I could get it off the starboard side. It's more out of the way, but more importantly I can have the skier or footer right next to me while I'm driving and teaching them, so I think it's safer.

Mike

Mine's on the port side, but would be more out of the way to starboard. Driver proximity is also a plus. The other consideration is torque on the steering wheel. . .

Most boats are pulling right to begin with, but not enough to counteract the drag of the port skier--in fact you have to hold right on the wheel. When the skier releases you have the boat's normal tendency to go right, compounded by the right rudder you are giving the wheel. In the slit-second of skier release, the stern will kick port as a result. Don't know that I've ever heard of anyone getting hit by the boat, but it sort of makes you wonder. . .

With the speed of the boat going forward I think it would be hard to get hit by the boat unless the driver turned into the skier. Dontknow.gif

I've never thought to put my BI boom on the starboard side but I like the idea. I especially think it would be good for circling around and picking up skiers / boarders (I use my boom almost exclusively for teaching novices) after they have fallen off or let go. Will have to try that this year

depending on the age of your BI boom, it will not mount on the Starboard side without modifications.

I had a BI on my Echelon that I had always wanted on starboard to get it out of the way for the passengers, and have the skier/footer closer to me. Mine would not work on the that side. Then one day I went and test-drove a SSLxi at the dealer's lake, and saw a boom like mine that would work on both sides. I looked it over and found that all I had to do was to mill down the 2 sides that were not flat, and then cross-drill a hole. I found a machine shop that charged me $40 to make the changes. It worked great, and after having the boom off the drivers side, I'd never want it any other way in an inboard. It doesn't make as much difference on a V-drive because it isn't in the way of the passengers all the time.

For years we put the boom on the port (passenger) side because that's the way our Spray Marine boom bracket was drilled. After going to Ron Scarpa's Barefoot school we immediately made the switch to the starboard (drivers) side. Had to drill another hole in the boom so the pin would go in at the pylon.

Advantages:

1. easier for the driver to see the skier and especially his/her feet or skis. A definite plus when teaching.

2. easier to pickup the skier. The rule for a rope is to pickup the skier on the driver side. Makes sense on the boom too.

3. Moves the boom out of the way so passengers can easily walk to the back of the boat without stepping over it on center engine inboards.

The only disadvantage would be if the boom interfered with sliding the driver seat backwards. A friend of ours is 6'5" and we switch the boom back to the other side on the rare times when he is driving.

I believe that booms were historically mounted on the passenger side because of this driver seat issue. Todays larger boats have more room and seats that slide much further fore and aft.

For years we put the boom on the port (passenger) side because that's the way our Spray Marine boom bracket was drilled. After going to Ron Scarpa's Barefoot school we immediately made the switch to the starboard (drivers) side. Had to drill another hole in the boom so the pin would go in at the pylon.

Why did you have to drill another hole? Won't it just swing over there? I tried it in my garage and the drivers seat does appear to get in the way a bit. I still think this is the way to go though. I need to figure it out.

depending on the age of your BI boom, it will not mount on the Starboard side without modifications.

I had a BI on my Echelon that I had always wanted on starboard to get it out of the way for the passengers, and have the skier/footer closer to me. Mine would not work on the that side. Then one day I went and test-drove a SSLxi at the dealer's lake, and saw a boom like mine that would work on both sides. I looked it over and found that all I had to do was to mill down the 2 sides that were not flat, and then cross-drill a hole. I found a machine shop that charged me $40 to make the changes. It worked great, and after having the boom off the drivers side, I'd never want it any other way in an inboard. It doesn't make as much difference on a V-drive because it isn't in the way of the passengers all the time.

I don't quite follow you on what modifications you had to make. Is it possible to show me a picture of this?

I can speak to the BI Universal Contour boom.

I don't have a picture, but it becomes pretty obvious when you look at the portion of a BI boom that sits inside the boom clamp. That portion is squared off. If it's drilled through that square in only one direction it's only meant to come off one side of the boat. If it's drilled through that square in both directions it can come off either side. The earlier Universal Contour booms were only drilled in one direction.

Mike

Why did you have to drill another hole? Won't it just swing over there? I tried it in my garage and the drivers seat does appear to get in the way a bit. I still think this is the way to go though. I need to figure it out.

You would think you could just swing it over, but it doesn't work that way. If you have 2 holes, it's one-sided, if you have 4 holes it's two-sided.