Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hit something today

We hit a submerged stick/log today and immediately felt a pretty strong vibration and lost speed. I immediately backed off the throttle and dropped the skier. I put the boat in reverse at idle to clear out anything still hanging on to the tracking fins and throttled up again to see if the vibration had stopped. It was much better, and the riders in the boat said they couldn't feel anything, but driving the boat I could still feel a bit of shaking/vibration. Felt like it was coming off the prop, and I was resigned to change out a buggered prop. Got the boat on the trailer, and on inspection, can't find anything out of whack. The prop looks great, the tracking fins are tight, the shaft is smooth, and the rudder looks normal. The ends of the cotter pin were sheared off and the speedo pitot was popped up, but other than that, everything looks good. Question is, where to start to find out where the vibration comes from? I can change out the prop but from the looks of the one on the boat--it doesn't seem to be the problem. Now I am almost wishing the prop had a ding in it...

it will be the prop. i have bent the blades on 3 or 4 props without a ding or scracth. i bent one one day that would shake your teeth out and it looked fine

Pulled the prop off today and you guys were right on the money!! The prop still looks brand new--but one of the leading edges doesn't have the same cup as the other two. No dings or nicks so probably easy to fix. Spare prop back on and ready to go again. Once again, thanks for the sage advice!!