Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much gas per hour?

chrisallenhogs

So we took the new bu out this weekend and put 3.8 hours on it. We didn't run to hard because of the break in period. We went for 2 hours on saturday and 2 and a half on sundsy. I capped it off with 11 gallons of gas, which seemed pretty good. Once we really start hitting how much can I expect? We mainly Board but we are getting more and more into the surfing. Does the surfing use more gas because of the weighting?

So we took the new bu out this weekend and put 3.8 hours on it. We didn't run to hard because of the break in period. We went for 2 hours on saturday and 2 and a half on sundsy. I capped it off with 11 gallons of gas, which seemed pretty good. Once we really start hitting how much can I expect? We mainly Board but we are getting more and more into the surfing. Does the surfing use more gas because of the weighting?

On avg I burn about 4.5-5 gph. And yes, you will use more when surfing!

Plus1.gif same here, your looking at $20.00 an hour avg. good info when you are taking a crew out riding all day.

I figure $20.00 per Hr. Boarding or surfing If you fill up in town, $25.00+ per Hr. if you fill up at the dock. By Memorial day maybe more. :(

If your ridding behind my boat and your a guy I think $20.00 Per person would be appropriate. It's going to be an expensive season.

I figure $20.00 per Hr. Boarding or surfing If you fill up in town, $25.00+ per Hr. if you fill up at the dock. By Memorial day maybe more. :(

If your ridding behind my boat and your a guy I think $20.00 Per person would be appropriate. It's going to be an expensive season.

I usually supply all of the gas when we go out unless it's an extended all day trip. The standard boarding fee on my boat is at least a 12-pack of Bud Light. I find I don't have to buy much beer in the summer, so it all works out.

Or get rid of that Wedge. It's got to increase fuel consumption a bit.

We usually ride fully weighted, around 25 - 28 mph. It'll be interesting to see how much gas we go thru. In the PS205, with 800 lbs of ballast, it was like 3.5 - 4 gph.

i haven't really checked my consumption, but it does seem to me this boat uses way less fuel than my previous boat ('01 SSVLX). I currently have 30 hours on the new boat.

I usually supply all of the gas when we go out unless it's an extended all day trip. The standard boarding fee on my boat is at least a 12-pack of Bud Light. I find I don't have to buy much beer in the summer, so it all works out.

I would never ask for cash or beverages but I think most people think it's only right. I always bring cash and beverages when I ride in a friends boat since I'm being chauffeured around all day and don't have to put the boat and all the stuff away and clean up that night. I help load whip the boat down and I'm done and don't feel guilty if I've paid for a little gas,thats a nice break sometimes.

Edited by bigD

It might be interesting to run the do you charge the crew poll again in a month or so. I still don't expect anything from my normal ski buds as we generally pull about the same amount.

160 hrs last year and averaged 4.7 gal per hour. Hydrofoiling no balast or wedge, Surfing full ballast + 750 bag and foil down. Cruising too. Probably about equal amounts of all 3 types of riding. This is on my 06 VLX with Monsoon.

i don't think i've ever burned more than 4 gallons an hour in our old sunsetter!?

how much will a lil' sporty burn with a light load and slalom skiing...gotta be less than 3 gal/hr.?

i know my two brothers and I will typically ski in the early am till all of us are 'smoked' and it's usually around 20 bucks at the pump.

....either way, it's much cheaper than sitting in a bar, playing blackjack, taking family out to eat, going to a movie, etc. etc. etc.

Edited by Arctic Slalom
160 hrs last year and averaged 4.7 gal per hour. Hydrofoiling no balast or wedge, Surfing full ballast + 750 bag and foil down. Cruising too. Probably about equal amounts of all 3 types of riding. This is on my 06 VLX with Monsoon.

Dalt1 that's really good, didn't think the monsoon was supposed to do that good.

Plus1.gif same here, your looking at $20.00 an hour avg. good info when you are taking a crew out riding all day.

I use about the same amount

Adding slalom into the mix must increase gas consumption. In mixed usage (idling, slalom, cruising, board sports) I use 5 - 6 gallon/hour in my Classic SSLXI. Oh yeah, prop selection also adds to the mix...

How can someone who lives in Washington, hop capital of the U.S., drink that swill that Bud calls beer? Whistling.gif

Edited by CedarLakeSkier

Where were you boating? I was at Table Rock last weekend and the water was filthty secondary to all the flooding at Beaver, Table Rock, Bull Shoals ,etc . All the ramps are closed and most of the docks are floating well away from the shore. Did you have any problem with debris? I have a new 247 but have not put it in yet at Table Rock because of the conditions. Our full time neighbors tell me the Army Corp is going to take up to 2 mo to get the water levels back down.

Dalt1 that's really good, didn't think the monsoon was supposed to do that good.

I was surprised myself, but that's the average I ended up with. About the same as my old Bryant I.O with a 305 V8. Thumbup.gif

foxhall, It's in pretty bad shape. There is not a lot of floating logs because it has already washed to the damn. I have to launch on the upper part of the lake (prairie creek area) instead of where I live because all of our ramps are under water on the south side of the lake. I figured table rock was bad too. We thought about heading up there around the first of june but I think we might wait until august now. There is so much water it is unbelieveable, just think two years ago I couldn't run because it was so low.