Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shipping a boat

srab

So, a friend of mine who has been patiently waiting for a good deal on a Malibu finally

found a screamin' deal on a loaded '07 21 LSV out of Sacramento. But, now he tells me

that it'll cost him $2300 to have it shipped to central Texas. Or, he can fly out there

and rent a truck for $900 plus fuel costs and drive it back himself.

The regional Malibu dealer doesn't have a comparable boat, and they only have '08s

left. Plus, he doesn't really like the looks of the '08s they do have. He really likes that

California boat, but he can't stomach that additional shipping expense.

Are there any less-expensive options short of driving out there and towing it back himself?

So, a friend of mine who has been patiently waiting for a good deal on a Malibu finally

found a screamin' deal on a loaded '07 21 LSV out of Sacramento. But, now he tells me

that it'll cost him $2300 to have it shipped to central Texas. Or, he can fly out there

The regional Malibu dealer doesn't have a comparable boat, and they only have '08s

left. Plus, he doesn't really like the looks of the '08s they do have. He really likes that

Are there any less-expensive options short of driving out there and towing it back himself?

I had to get a boat shipped from Atlanta to Las Vegas and it only ran 1800. I used uship.com and let people bid on it. Worked pretty good for me. Hope this helps.

Try uship.com

You have to be careful on who you end up using but I was able to get my boat transported from Florida for under $1 per mile one way...which is pretty darn good.

-Chris

That's the cost it'll take to get it out there, I looked into getting a boat from Tenn. and it was 2,500 for that. With fuel costs skyrocketing upwards I don't see it getting cheaper. The quote by far from Osborn Transport was the best, Kyle was awesome to deal w/. I'll just go take a look at it and take it for a spin... :)

fly down, drop it in the gulf and pack your passport when you hit the Panama Canal. Need to get it broken in anyway... Enjoy the drive. Rockon.gif

Putting a brand new bu into salt water....blasphemy!

I shipped a 23 LSV from D.C. to Seattle about this time with www.kiwiskarriers.com

I would definately get a quote from them before you finalize your plans. I had a really hard time finding a one way rental truck, with a hitch, where I could do it myself. I was extremely happy with Kiwi's in all regards. Also what helped was having the local Malibu dealer prepare the boat for shipping. Nobody takes care of a Malibu like someone who really appreciates how nice they really are.

Edited by auwdawg
fly down, drop it in the gulf and pack your passport when you hit the Panama Canal. Need to get it broken in anyway... Enjoy the drive. Rockon.gif

Fly up.. :) He'd need to drop it into the Pacific Ocean first... :)

I also used uship.com and would definitely at least post an ad to see what kinds of bids you get. It's free to post and I received a ton of bids.

Hey srab...I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ but if your buddy is getting a screamin' deal on this boat and he doesn't like what the local guy has, if he spends $2,300 on shipping the new ride, even though that adds to the overall cost...isn't he still getting a good deal less the screamin' part???

You can find someone out here willing to tow it for you. Dontknow.gif

Otherwise, I'd say the best bet is to fly out here & tow it. I'd do the same thing for my dream boat - I don't blame him one bit. :)

Hey srab...I'm not trying to be a smarta$ but if your buddy is getting a screamin' deal on this boat and he doesn't like what the local guy has, if he spends $2,300 on shipping the new ride, even though that adds to the overall cost...isn't he still getting a good deal less the screamin' part???

Yes, still a great deal. The boat has Illusion tower w/ bimini, Monsoon upgrade, power wedge,

and colors that he likes. But, the local dealer will "work with him" to put him in an '08 without

the power wedge and Monsoon for pretty close to $2500 more, and he wouldn't have to worry

as much about how they'd treat him in the future for maintenance and warranty issues. So

add $2300 for the transportation costs and it's pretty much the same amount of money.

Enough to tempt him, anyway, except he doesn't like the color/looks of their boats near as

much.

For me, it'd be a no-brainer. Why spend all of that cash on a boat that's not really what you

want when you can get exactly what you want for roughly 2K more?

It's not my money, though.