Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swivel Pylon Repair

I have a 92 Euro F3 and the swivel head on the pylon is working up so that there is a 1/4" gap between it and the pylon. Local dealer said pop out the plastic insert and tighten down the bolt. Sounds easy but that plastic insert has no intentions of coming out. Any ideas?

Thanks

I say cap it's more like a plug that has been pressed in. I have tryed prying with screw drivers, even applied heat, all to no avail. The plug will be destroyed in the process but I need to get it out.

Don't put heat on a plastic part...plastic expands alot faster than the aluminum of the pylon.

You will destroy the cap...just the way it is.

-Chris

I have a 92 Euro F3 and the swivel head on the pylon is working up so that there is a 1/4" gap between it and the pylon. Local dealer said pop out the plastic insert and tighten down the bolt. Sounds easy but that plastic insert has no intentions of coming out. Any ideas?

Thanks

Yes, the cap must come off. You should be able to get a replacment from your dealer or find something at Ace or some other hardware store to cap the hole. The cap is just a pushin type on mine. Maybe a previous owner put some glue on it.

The nut inside that holds the swivel head in place has a set screw in the center of it to lock it down. The set screw probably worked loose allowing the nut to backoff.

When you have the swivel head off, see if the bearings turn easily. Mine in my '95 didn't turn at all. I soaked the whole piece in carb cleaner for two days before the old grease broke down. Then cleaned it all out and repacked it. It turn nice and smooth now!

Mine was absolutely frozen when I got my boat, and I couldn't get the cap off either. I finally got it off by using a sharp knife edge to wedge just under the cap and worked it up a little bit at a time. Take your time and go slow and you may not destroy the cap. The needle bearings were very gunked up but a good soak cleaned them up and it works like butter now.

I agree on the small insert tool..... possibly a dental pick..... fine knife. That's how I got mine off. Takes patience.

Re lubricant: I suggest BoShield T9. Aerospace stuff. Fantastic lubricant. made my sticky sticky pylon spin like a top after a few squirts and a couple days of sitting.

I took these photos at a Malibu Boat Show booth a few years ago.... they may help.

post-114-1209094101_thumb.jpg

post-114-1209094130_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I had to use a chisel and hammer to break the plug into pieces. Mine is a little diff than the picture as it is all plug and no cap. Also mine did not have allen or hex head on the bolt just snap rings holding the head on. The shaft had backed out about 4 turns and I used a strap wrech to tighten in backl down. The bearings were in pretty bad shape but cleaned them up with solvent and repacked with waterproof grease. Good to go now!

• 6 years later...

I would think not...like others above, I sprayed mine with WD40 to remove the gunk and then re-greased...smooth as butter now. I used a sharp knife to get the cap off.

Leave bearings in place Use WD40 or something to clean mite take several goes, then lube with grease and put back on.

The bearing look like a press fit on mine and think they could be difficult to get out.