Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Have you ever used your insurance policy?

wakeup

Insurance  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Ever submit an insurance claim for your boat/trailer?

• Yes
    • No

I was reading the posts concerning insurance policies and just wondered who has used their insurance policy for your boat/trailer and why? I guess I've been blessed because in almost 20 years boating I've never used it once (knocking on wood). I've had a friend submit a claim for theft, but just curious about others??

Hit a submerged log in Lake Oroville; ripped the shaft out of the tranny and imbedded the prop in the rudder and bottom of the boat. $8K in repairs...cost me $500 deductible. That's why boaters should have insurance...not to mention that if someone is ever injured in your boat, you can be liable. I have $500,000 in bodily injury if someone in my boat gets injured. It's just not worth the risk not to have insurance.

I don't think the OP was suggesting not having insurance, just wondering how many people actually "use" what they have. We do talk about it a lot... but I suspect most don't have to use it.

Yes, I've unfortunately had to use my insurance a couple times.

One time on our old runabout. We hit a unmarked rock and jacked up the lower end of the outdrive.

The other time, we hit a log at Oroville, that wasn't visible until the damage was done. I detect a common thread developing. Stay away from Oroville. Killer logs!!!

The log bent the prop, bent the strut and also bent the prop shaft.

And the last case was I hit something at Oroville again that loosened my front tracking fin.

I've never had any issues with my insurance company.

Edited by vlxjeff
I don't think the OP was suggesting not having insurance, just wondering how many people actually "use" what they have. We do talk about it a lot... but I suspect most don't have to use it.

Sorry, didn't mean to come of sounding like OP was against insurance; I was just stressing the importance of it. My bad.

Exactly! I've always had insurance. Too cheap in comparison to the original purchase price of most boats. I was mainly just wondering what kinds of claims have been out there, which in turn may help some people see the "need" for insurance and not just look at the few hundred dollars a year.

One time on our old runabout. We hit a unmarked rock and jacked up the lower end of the outdrive.

The other time, we hit a log at Oroville, that wasn't visible until the damage was done. I detect a common thread developing. Stay away from Oroville. Killer logs!!!

And the last case was I hit something at Oroville again that loosened my front tracking fin.

Yes, this brought back a memory... good friend of our family was out on our lake years ago a few weeks after a hurricane had passed; hit a barely floating picnic table (old heavy wood kind from a park)! Major damage, plus hit his head on the windshield pretty hard. Not pretty

I hit a sand bar a couple of summers ago.i went from 15ft to 1.5ft before i new what happend. cost $3000 to have them come out and put airbags underneath and $3000 to fix . i think my deductible was 250 which the dealership took care of. at the time i had just gotten the boat and the insurance company hadnt even gotten my down payment for the premium and i was already making a claim. my premium for the next year was even cheaper then the first year also

joeyd

Did a power turn in my 1992 Sunsetter and had a guy fly over the engine cover and "bite" the gunnel rail. Broke two top front teeth in half and knocked the bottom two clear out. He's got a beautiful smile now courtesy of my insurance company. ;)

Twice here. First time cost me a rudder, prop, drive shaft, and strut for a mere $1500! 3 years later hit a submerged log and took out all three tracking fins leaving a nasty looking under side, but didn't hurt the running gear! $3500!

Twice here. First time cost me a rudder, prop, drive shaft, and strut for a mere $1500! 3 years later hit a submerged log and took out all three tracking fins leaving a nasty looking under side, but didn't hurt the running gear! $3500!

When you say cost me, I assume you mean would have cost you right?

Edited by 1FootDan

One time. I was 60' from the pylon and could tell the driver (Dear old Dad) was a bit too close to shore. He nailed one of the large chunks of Granite in our lake. Dinged a fin, bent the shaft and strut, and mangled the prop. I still have it in the event I ever whack another one so I can have a set of candle holders! Amazingly enough, the impact caused enough bounce to clear the rudder. Not a mark on it. My father reimbursed me for the deductible - he felt so bad...

Unfortunately yes I have used my boat insurance twice in 3 years, either I am dumb or have really bad luck.

The first time I hit some submerged object with my prop, it destroyed the prop, bent the strut and shaft and did some minor gelcoat damage. Total repair costs were 2800.00 to which I paid a 250.00 deductable.

Two years later I hit the tip of a sand bar that was about 12" underwater again damaged the same equipment as the 1st time with a little more gelcoat damage. Total repari costs were 4200.00 to which I paid a 250.00 deductable.

All I have to say is that my boat insurance policy has paid me way more than I have paid it, but I would rather never experience these types of events again. I have Allstate and they have been really really good, hopefully they renew me this year :unsure:

Chad

Several years ago when we had a Bayliner we hit a submerged object. Called my agent, he said drop it off with a check for the deductible. Took the shops (one for the stern drive, one for the fiberglass) all summer, but got it back looking like new. Was about 7500 in repairs.

I use Progessive...I may need to switch, who do you use "VLK JEFF"

• 2 weeks later...

Last Summer hit a "rocky" pinnacle submerged about 12" under water on a sunrise run....Progessive said it was "negligence" and would not pay. So now I have a great boat with a couple of holes in the rear with the typical fin,shaft, strut, prop,v-drive tran damage from such an experience.....Anybody have sources in So. Cal that would take this one on for me?......Anybody want to take this on as a hobby job? Given the prices of the boats this year I suspect that an interested person might make a chunk of change!

Last Summer hit a "rocky" pinnacle submerged about 12" under water on a sunrise run....Progessive said it was "negligence" and would not pay. So now I have a great boat with a couple of holes in the rear with the typical fin,shaft, strut, prop,v-drive tran damage from such an experience.....Anybody have sources in So. Cal that would take this one on for me?......Anybody want to take this on as a hobby job? Given the prices of the boats this year I suspect that an interested person might make a chunk of change!

Have you looked at other options, ie, contacting a lawyer?

Edited by JohnDoe

Have you looked at other options, ie, contacting a lawyer?

wow, that bites! But if you have to go the legal route, it can be a lose-lose situation at times, but may also mean they might consider making a deal with you. Worth checking out if it really was subjective reasoning for not covering you (not documented alcohol involved, underage driver, no witnesses to careless boating, etc etc).

Negligence is not typically excluded under first party coverages. In fact, negligence is usually how most damages occur. Now, if you didn't mitigate your damages and drove the boat for several hours after you damaged it and the damages became worse, that may be an issue.

Find your denial letter and quote the denial language exactly in your post. The denial letter should include the exact policy condition/exclusion which the company has based their denial.

I have a feeling there is much more to this than just hitting a submerged rock.

not documented alcohol involved, underage driver, no witnesses to careless boating, etc etc)

None of that should matter, either.

We need to know the exact exclusion before we can start to make an informed decision.

I use Progessive...I may need to switch, who do you use "VLK JEFF"

We use Allstate. They've been good to us.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just had my first claim with Ski Safe. I haven't got the final word, but so far, it looks like everything will go smooth. (It's only $2,900 damage though, and with a $1,200 deductible, they will only be out $1,700, so I can't imagine them denying the claim.

Anyway, when I took the boat in for the estimate, the guy at the shop said he's never had an issue with Ski Safe, but he DID say that Progressive was the WORST to deal with from his perspective. They would do anything they could to get out of covering the damage. Food for thought for those of you with Progressive.