Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LED's for under gunwale

Arctic Slalom

Yeah agreed. I bought the kit last week and wired them up in my boat. Mounting them tonight. They definitely look good. Unfortunately the wires are a little short to center the LED lamps over the cupholders (in some areas-I considered all configurations), but I"ll just splice in and extend the wires that are short.

It definitely looks great. And with the remote, you can hit the button when walking up to the boat and turn the lights on...kind of like "keyless entry" for your car (minus the locks).

One question though. Did you wire it directly to the battery or did you wire in a switch as well. I'm wondering if the unit even while off will pull a small current and thus killing the battery if sat unused for a long period of time. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks!

Glad to see you guys got it done, I hadn't received any email notification from the site so I apologize for not replying sooner.

I did put a switch in line as I was worried about some drain on the battery. I just got a small lighted switch from Pep Boys for about $5.

The wires were well too short for the run from the dash around to the port side so I got some 10 conductor wire (I believe there is only 7 wires to connect) and splice it into the one light that wouldn't reach.

I had seen that on another post somewhere on this forum before so thanks to whoever it was that posted those pics originally!! Thumbup.gif

The only thing I am not happy with is placement of the control module. I see so many pics of everyones handy work to make their mods look built-in but mine is pretty sloppy. I just velcro-ed mine under the dash. Yuk.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arctic Slalom

• Arkid

• ADDICTED2WAKE

• my malibu

Does anyone have any pics of there LED's at night? I'm interested in seeing how bright they are

Don't have any pics right now but I can tell you that they are very bright, they light the whole boat.

Alright, I just uploaded a couple videos to youtube....I have a better video showing all it's functionality and the how well it lights up the entire interior, but here's what i have so far....

Edited by ADDICTED2WAKE
Alright, I just uploaded a couple videos to youtube....I have a better video showing all it's functionality and the how well it lights up the entire interior, but here's what i have so far....

You like them flashing like that all the time?

</a>

</a>

You like them flashing like that all the time?

Where is the disco ball??

There's different settings. I tried uploading the video where they're just solid and I'm switching through the colors but I was having internet problems at the time...

These are what you want ... LED's

I put these in and they're perfect. Why settle for one color when you can switch it to any color depending on your mood or whatever's going on. They even change color with the music and can cycle in patterns round the boat incase you're having a disco onboard. Biggrin.gif

All you have to do is run the wires and fix the sealed tubes under the gunwhales. The thing I like about them is that you can switch them to white which is very bright when it's time to clean out the boat at night or if you have an emergency.

Thanks for the link. I ordered some on Monday night and they were at my door today when I got home. I have everything installed and mounted. It took me about 2 hours by myself. I had just enough length on 2 of them to make everything work. All I can say is WOW. That set up is amazing. You can't see anything and they light up the whole boat. Best thing I ever bought for the boat for under 100 bucks.

I think I'm gonna get some of these too. When I search on Ebay, I find 2 different types. Does anybody know what the differences are? I think that the ones that you guys have gone with are the cheaper ones. If you're happy with those, I wonder if there are any real differences for the extra $60.

Here they are...

Cheaper Set

More Expensive Set

I think I'm gonna get some of these too. When I search on Ebay, I find 2 different types. Does anybody know what the differences are? I think that the ones that you guys have gone with are the cheaper ones. If you're happy with those, I wonder if there are any real differences for the extra $60.

Here they are...

Cheaper Set

More Expensive Set

My Bad.... Looks like alot more comes with expensive set

AF1

More expensive set comes with 2 wireless remotes.... only difference I think

AF1

Edited by Air Force 1

I am currently putting some brite lite LED strips right now and was just going to take out the current lights and wire in the new onews. that way they are tied into the switch.

Isnt that the best way to do it? You guys have me doubting myself. why would you go direct to the battery?

i installed Street Glow LED tubes and they came with a control module and wired them directly to a switch. Very easy and they work great along with the tracer option and ability to let them dance to the music

I am currently putting some brite lite LED strips right now and was just going to take out the current lights and wire in the new onews. that way they are tied into the switch.

Isnt that the best way to do it? You guys have me doubting myself. why would you go direct to the battery?

You don't need to wire them to a switch. The kit comes with 2 remotes.

How does the sound portion of the kit work? Does it have to plug into the stereo?

I think the control module has some kind of sensor, you don't need to plug anything into the stereo.

Here they are...

Cheaper Set

More Expensive Set

My Bad.... Looks like alot more comes with expensive set

AF1

More expensive set comes with 2 wireless remotes.... only difference I think

AF1

I got the cheaper set and they came with the wireless remotes.

I left the stock lights alone. I put a separate switch on the LED's with power running from one of my amps. Works just fine. I am moving my amps this weekend so i'll probably hook that power line to some other switch.

finally ordered, installed and tested out the leds from superbright.com

wow! very impressive....we'll see how well they last!

will follow with images shortly!

i only used (3) different accent light fixtures from superbright (and this, IMHO is plenty of light).

i used (4) of the 6-light (see website) accent lights -these are about 3" off floor in bow and at ankles in passenger seat.

i used (1) of the 3 light (see website) accent lights under dash, pointed down.

i used (2) of the accent light strings under the gunnels (these are perfect for gunnels)!

it took about 4 hours, and the order to superbright was only about $60!

my malibu,

i looked at the images you had (the ones you just posted on this thread) to figure out how to mount and install mine. your images, i think were posted in another thread. your install is very nice and clean. i used the black fixtures, cuz my carpet is dark grey. i simply used small wood screws into my side panels. once they are tightened down, they are really stout. i haven't thought about the teak platform, yet....

i'm really impressed with the accent light strips which I put in the gunnels. they are about 36" long and have (8) sets of two small leds every 3-4". they give out the perfect amount of light for the rear of the boat. it is a little dark directly behind motor cover...

anyway, they turned out really nice! i put them in saturday night from about 8-12 p.m. (I'm only around the boat on the weekends). i went with the blue, too. the whole bottom of the boat has a nice soft blue glow. my two brothers (and a couple of their friends) got back from the bar at about 3 a.m. (i had to pick them up -to smashed to drive), anyway, when they saw the lights, they wanted to take the boat out immediately! they almost talked me into it!

i forgot to snap a few pictures before going to bed saturday night and was back to work sunday night (two hours from boat/lake). i tried to have the brother-in-law shoot some photos last night, but he's not down with digital anything!

thanks again as your install/placement images were a big help!

couple question for you....

did you use an in-line fuse between switch and fixtures?

did you run a 'common ground' between all fixtures?

what gauge wire did you run?

my malibu,

i looked at the images you had (the ones you just posted on this thread) to figure out how to mount and install mine. your images, i think were posted in another thread. your install is very nice and clean. i used the black fixtures, cuz my carpet is dark grey. i simply used small wood screws into my side panels. once they are tightened down, they are really stout. i haven't thought about the teak platform, yet....

i'm really impressed with the accent light strips which I put in the gunnels. they are about 36" long and have (8) sets of two small leds every 3-4". they give out the perfect amount of light for the rear of the boat. it is a little dark directly behind motor cover...

anyway, they turned out really nice! i put them in saturday night from about 8-12 p.m. (I'm only around the boat on the weekends). i went with the blue, too. the whole bottom of the boat has a nice soft blue glow. my two brothers (and a couple of their friends) got back from the bar at about 3 a.m. (i had to pick them up -to smashed to drive), anyway, when they saw the lights, they wanted to take the boat out immediately! they almost talked me into it!

i forgot to snap a few pictures before going to bed saturday night and was back to work sunday night (two hours from boat/lake). i tried to have the brother-in-law shoot some photos last night, but he's not down with digital anything!

thanks again as your install/placement images were a big help!

couple question for you....

did you use an in-line fuse between switch and fixtures?

did you run a 'common ground' between all fixtures?

what gauge wire did you run?

using the heat seat fuse off the block ( replaced it with a 5 amp) I made a wiring harness for all the LEDs using 14 guage

I had the time to made the harness

yes all use same ground

i used waterproof quick disconnects for all the connect so that if a led failed it could easily be replaced also added spots where I beleive I 'll add more Leds ( cup holders, and speakers)

waiting to get new boat speakers (most likely wet sounds w/ led rings and the cup holders will probably copy liljohn with a single led at the bottom of the cup holders