Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LED's for under gunwale

Arctic Slalom

gang,

i'd like to put some blue, white or red LED's under the gunwale of my sunsetter.

i'm thinking three feet or so would be nice; a nice touch for the slow-idle, i-tunes, booze cruise Thumbup.gif !

any good websites or leads where I can get these.....they need to be 12V, outdoor rated, relatively easy to install and affordable (less than $100) Yahoo.gif .

thanks,

CR

Edited by Arctic Slalom
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arctic Slalom

• Arkid

• ADDICTED2WAKE

• Bobby Light

gang,

i'd like to put some blue, white or red LED's under the gunwale of my sunsetter.

i'm thinking three feet or so would be nice; a nice touch for the slow-idle, i-tunes, booze cruise Thumbup.gif !

any good websites or leads where I can get these.....they need to be 12V, outdoor rated, relatively easy to install and affordable (less than $100) Yahoo.gif .

thanks,

CR

EBAY! Rockon.gif

yep,

will do...have graduation parties and other 'stuff' going on for the next couple weeks, but when i get wm installed i will post photos!

yep,

will do...have graduation parties and other 'stuff' going on for the next couple weeks, but when i get wm installed i will post photos!

You're looking to get a ticket if you don't boat on a private lake.

yep,

Why? Blue LEDs in the gunwhales? Gimme a break.

yep,

Thought you were talking about in the rear vents or something, guess I didn't really read the post sorry dude.

Edited by 06vlx
yep,

a ticket for soft, ambient lighting on the under side of the gunwale? Whistling.gif

yep,

sorry, didn't think it would look that bad...:unsure:

yep,

a ticket for soft, ambient lighting on the under side of the gunwale? Whistling.gif

yep,

He was referring to my post and I thought you were talking about putting them somewhere visible on the outside of your boat, I didn't read the post carefully enough as I stated.

yep,

Is it gunnel or gunwhales? I've always understood it to be gunnel.

Exterior (outside of the boat) lighting will get you in trouble, inside the boat shouldn't be a problem. For our size boats we're only allowed the red and green navigation ligtht and the anchor or stern light at the highest point or back of the boat. I don't think there are any regluations for interior lighting but who knows these days. WA state has a $101 fine if you don't have a garbage bag in your vehicle all the time, BS!!

[

Yeah, I was referring to the ticket. Blue ambient lighting will look just fine. Well, not as good as red, because that's what I'm doing. Crazy.gif

These are what you want ... LED's

I put these in and they're perfect. Why settle for one color when you can switch it to any color depending on your mood or whatever's going on. They even change color with the music and can cycle in patterns round the boat incase you're having a disco onboard. Biggrin.gif

All you have to do is run the wires and fix the sealed tubes under the gunwhales. The thing I like about them is that you can switch them to white which is very bright when it's time to clean out the boat at night or if you have an emergency.

Sweet, I just bought 8 from R and P carriages-trailer-sales. I have been wanting to do this for a long time, but was looking for amber or orange to match the boat. I bought 2 extra for the engine compartment. Now I just need to figure out where to mount them in there so they don't get any type of damage (water/heat).

yep,

I have ran on the lake at night with one solid red light and a flashing blue Whistling.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Curious......I bought LED's (8 of them that have 5 lights in one), but they don't seem very bright. It may be because I bought the Amber, but did I buy the wrong ones. Is there a variety of LED's that have different power levels or brightness??

I put these in and they're perfect. Why settle for one color when you can switch it to any color depending on your mood or whatever's going on. They even change color with the music and can cycle in patterns round the boat incase you're having a disco onboard. Biggrin.gif

All you have to do is run the wires and fix the sealed tubes under the gunwhales. The thing I like about them is that you can switch them to white which is very bright when it's time to clean out the boat at night or if you have an emergency.

Hey arkid, any tips for wiring that kit up? I'm about to order the set from the link you provided, but I have doubts about installation manuals. I'm handy, but electricity/wiring is not my strong suit. Any help would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey arkid, any tips for wiring that kit up? I'm about to order the set from the link you provided, but I have doubts about installation manuals. I'm handy, but electricity/wiring is not my strong suit. Any help would be appreciated.

Same here, just ordered this kit. Can I just remove the existing interior lights and wire them to where they were or is it more complicated?

AF1 :unsure:

Arkid, you are the man. I just installed the LED's you linked to. Awesome! In fact I am going to buy another set for my buddies pontoon boat. Thanks for the link!!!!!

AF1

Thumbup.gif

Yeah agreed. I bought the kit last week and wired them up in my boat. Mounting them tonight. They definitely look good. Unfortunately the wires are a little short to center the LED lamps over the cupholders (in some areas-I considered all configurations), but I"ll just splice in and extend the wires that are short.

It definitely looks great. And with the remote, you can hit the button when walking up to the boat and turn the lights on...kind of like "keyless entry" for your car (minus the locks).

One question though. Did you wire it directly to the battery or did you wire in a switch as well. I'm wondering if the unit even while off will pull a small current and thus killing the battery if sat unused for a long period of time. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks!

Yeah agreed. I bought the kit last week and wired them up in my boat. Mounting them tonight. They definitely look good. Unfortunately the wires are a little short to center the LED lamps over the cupholders (in some areas-I considered all configurations), but I"ll just splice in and extend the wires that are short.

It definitely looks great. And with the remote, you can hit the button when walking up to the boat and turn the lights on...kind of like "keyless entry" for your car (minus the locks).

One question though. Did you wire it directly to the battery or did you wire in a switch as well. I'm wondering if the unit even while off will pull a small current and thus killing the battery if sat unused for a long period of time. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks!

I wired straight to the battery. When I'm out of water I'm on a trickle charger so not too concerned.

AF1