Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me decide!!

2thdoc01

Thansk guys.

I am a pretty decent slalom skier, and just getting into the wakeskate. My son and I will want to learn to board, but we wont need to have any pro wakes. The girls are just going to learn to ski.

To me the wake part isnt hat important, its the comfort inside the boat, the ease of handling, low maintainence, etc.

I can ge the bimini and racks installed for 1200...so Id pay 43200.

The Moomba loaded with tower speakers, amps, etc is 44k OTD

Now the tige is a boat that listed for 70414, and since it was the magazine model, i can get it for 44,500!

Wait until you get into wakesurfing...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2thdoc01

• johnsvt

• Matt_Alger

• txwakejunkie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

70k MSRP on that Tige? Pigeon must be smoking some serious lettuce if he thinks any monkey would spend that much on a Tige. Even if it's a bogus MSRP price that is still 20k more than it should be. The reason the discount is so substantial is because 70k is a farce. Just imagine the MSRP on the V-Ride is 120k and you are getting for close to 66% off.

70k MSRP on that Tige? Pigeon must be smoking some serious lettuce if he thinks any monkey would spend that much on a Tige. Even if it's a bogus MSRP price that is still 20k more than it should be. The reason the discount is so substantial is because 70k is a farce. Just imagine the MSRP on the V-Ride is 120k and you are getting for close to 66% off.

ROFL.gif

ROFL.gif

LOL!

Price for vride and tige are identical...one is loaded and was their brochure boat, the other a leftover with nuthin on it.

BTW, the 47k VLX in Michigan has a deposit on it Yuk.gif

From what I have seen in my area you can usally get 30% off msrp on tige and 10-15% off on Malibu. That is just walking in the door, I'm sure you could get both lower if you wanted. It just makes me think that Tige way over prices and then comes down. With all that said, I actually like the Tige's, I have a buddy who has the 22ve and it is pretty nice, It was in the shop last summer twice, probably because he runs it so hard. Resale in my area on a Tige is bad, much better on the bu. I'm not sure how much that will factor into your choice. Good luck, you'll have a great time in either.

My buddy has a vRide. I just got rid of my Response for a Wakesetter VTX. IMHO, you should look at one of the other non-entry level malibus. They dont feel "cheap" like the v series of boats.

A couple items you might want to add to your list of pros and cons.

Resale value, look at boats that are 2-3 years old and then 5-6 years old. Malibus hold their value well, Moombas do not. I really can't speak to Tige.

The other one is quality of construction. Again, I can't speak to Tige but I know at least a couple of years ago that Moomba was still lag screwing their engine mounts into a block of hard fiberglass. Malibu, MC, CC and pretty much every major high end boat builder out there through bolts their motors. What does that mean in the short term? probably nothing but in the long term it can lead to stripped out screws which can create some serious problems

Buy a used Moomba? If you are hesitant, means you must like it? Why pay more? Dontknow.gif

Got an email froma dealer today, I can get into a leftover Sunscape 21 LSV for 47,500. A lil over the budget. Buuuut....what is the diff in a 07 Sunscape 21 lsv and a wakesetter 21 vtx?

I see you are asking the question over here too.

Sunscape will have the cut diamond hull, which is going to give a better ski wake vs. a wakesetter.

A Tige isn't a bad boat but 70K for a Z1 is a farce. I looked at a loaded RZ2 which had a true sticker of 73k and sold for in the low 50's. I know you say you don't need a pro level wakeboard wake. However, the Tige wake just doesn't measure up in comparison to a Malibu. Most of my friends(even the Tige owners) will tell you that the my Malibu was one of the friendliest wakes to learn on and progress. As far as quality and looking at how a Malibu builds up their seats. I doubt there is anyone on this forum that has had a seat failure and I am sure there are some owners with crazy hours on their boats. Tige is coming around quality wise, but they are still having issues with their vinyl and seams tearing.

Sunscape will have the cut diamond hull, which is going to give a better ski wake vs. a wakesetter.

A Tige isn't a bad boat but 70K for a Z1 is a farce. I looked at a loaded RZ2 which had a true sticker of 73k and sold for in the low 50's. I know you say you don't need a pro level wakeboard wake. However, the Tige wake just doesn't measure up in comparison to a Malibu. Most of my friends(even the Tige owners) will tell you that the my Malibu was one of the friendliest wakes to learn on and progress. As far as quality and looking at how a Malibu builds up their seats. I doubt there is anyone on this forum that has had a seat failure and I am sure there are some owners with crazy hours on their boats. Tige is coming around quality wise, but they are still having issues with their vinyl and seams tearing.

$70K for a Z1 is a freaking joke, have you seen one. That's their budget level boat suposedly you can get a fully loaded one for about $43K.

$70K for a Z1 is a freaking joke, have you seen one. That's their budget level boat suposedly you can get a fully loaded one for about $43K.

nu bu I agree with you on this one...of course I know how much you like tige's. I also was told a loaded Z1 would be mid 40's at best.

I know the 70k is a bunch of BS. But I oompare the boat options, and this one's msrp is 70k, but I see another that has an msrp of less that is selling for more. I dunno much about the tige...if i could swing it thru the boss, Id get a vtx. I saw one in kansas for 50k with 2 hrs on it....

The 07 Sunscape woud also be a great family boat. It should be on the Diamond Hull (Not Cut Diamond) which is a better slalom hull than the Wake Hull but the boat may not have ballast or a power wedge. Do look at options on the boats you are considering because they can quickly add up to several thousands of dollars. Just because one boat is priced less than another doesn't mean it is a better value. Also, think about what you want the boat for, how much you will use it and how long you plan to keep it.

By the way, if have the money you will never be dissapointed that you bought a new Malibu. Reading between the lines of your posts if you buy a Tige you may wish you had spent a little more to get the VTX (with either Wake or Cut Diamond Hull). Of course, every boat that I have had I have been thrilled with it every time I am in or behind it.

I suggest getting the CFO to go for a ride in the boats you are considering. Then talk to your dealer about pricing a new VTX with all the options that you want. Even if you don't decide to buy new, that will then get you a place to start from when considering used VTXs and who knows, you may find that your local dealer and a new boat are the way to go. I didn't think I would end up being happy with a V-Drive but after the ski demo, I was sold.

Edited by Matt_Alger
I know the 70k is a bunch of BS. But I oompare the boat options, and this one's msrp is 70k, but I see another that has an msrp of less that is selling for more. I dunno much about the tige...if i could swing it thru the boss, Id get a vtx. I saw one in kansas for 50k with 2 hrs on it....

I look at the 70K sticker price as a bad sign. The dealer is being dishonest right upfront and trying to make himself look better by giving such a big discount.

I look at the 70K sticker price as a bad sign. The dealer is being dishonest right upfront and trying to make himself look better by giving such a big discount.

I don't think you could cram enough options onto a Z1 to make it worth 70K.

Definitely go for what fits you budget. It would not be fun to have an expensive boat that you can never use because of fuel prices, insurance, etc. When I was growing up I rode behind a 15 or 16ft Renken, and I thought it was the best boat out there. That being said, our first Malibu was a used 2001 Sunsetter. We added a tower, added a semi-auto ballast system and 2 years later sold it for the exact price we bought for. We were able to upgrade to a 2004 Wakesetter VLX.

I drove the Z1. Nice boat. But, the hull design seems backwards...designed to push a wake with taps trimming to lower the nose and raise the rear...seems backwards to me.

Wake at 10 mp for teaching he kids to ski was not clean.

Taps seems like a good idea, but truth be told, It was always in a all on or all off position, in between gave porposing.

Funny, this boat had 6 in of water in tranny access and the bilge wouldnt touch it.

So, lookin at finding a leftover vtx or ordering a new v ride....the Mobius still intrigues me, but the BU vride was alot tighter, quieter...

I drove the Z1. Nice boat. But, the hull design seems backwards...designed to push a wake with taps trimming to lower the nose and raise the rear...seems backwards to me.

Wake at 10 mp for teaching he kids to ski was not clean.

Taps seems like a good idea, but truth be told, It was always in a all on or all off position, in between gave porposing.

Funny, this boat had 6 in of water in tranny access and the bilge wouldnt touch it.

So, lookin at finding a leftover vtx or ordering a new v ride....the Mobius still intrigues me, but the BU vride was alot tighter, quieter...

I had the same experience when I test drove the Tige 20V. We tried to get a clean slalom wake but had a difficult time getting there without the boat porposing. The boat seemed to either have a very nast rooster or else porpose.

Edited by Matt_Alger

I'll bet you could talk this one down a fair bit. This boat has been sitting for some time and considering the color they will likely have a difficult time selling it... assuming you don't mind green:

2007 Malibu VTX

Description: Black and Green Vtx Wakesetter, 340 Monsoon engine

w/15hours mint cond.

4 tank ballast,floating wedge,larger wakeboarding prop

hot/cold shower

to...

Posted on 4/28/2008 at www.OnlyInBoards.com

$48,500.00

If you don't mind a Single Axle Trailer:

2008 malibu wakesetter vtx

Description: This boat is loaded and immaculate. 320 lcr motor with wakeboard prop. All four ballast tanks, mls ballast monitoring system and power wedge. Flip ...

Posted on 4/6/2008 at www.OnlyInBoards.com

$50,500.00

I also wouldn't shy away from considering one of these (many people fly somewhere to check out a boat and then have it shipped):

2007 MALIBU Wakesetter VTX 20' $50,015

5 Photos LOCATION: Ventura, CA

2007 MALIBU Wakesetter VTX, Monsoon Motor 340hp, Heater 2 outlet, pop Up Bow Light, 2 Pair Pull Up Cleats, Chrome Pylon, Wedge (Ma…

DEALER:

Tilly's Marine Inc.(866) 915-2414Email Seller

Updated Apr-23-2008

2007 Malibu Boats CA Wakesetter VTX 20' $46,999

11 Photos LOCATION: Conway, SC

2007 Malibu Boats CA Wakesetter VTX, Consolidated Performance. At a mere 20 feet in length, the Wakesetter VTX, packs enough profe…

DEALER:

Waccamaw Marine(866) 920-0470Email Seller

Updated Apr-29-2008

Edited by Matt_Alger

I know that you have been leaning toward new carryovers, but there is an '06 VLX yellow/black on Minneapolis Craigslist right now for $45k with a note about "having a little room to negotiate". The pictures look like it is a gorgeous boat. I have no vested interest in that boat, nor do I know the seller, but I just happened to see the ad this morning:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/662655895.html