Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Insurance Providers

IamN2Speed

Try contacting the Insurance company you use for you home, cars and life insurance. I use State Farm for Home, (2) Vehicles, Life Insurance and now the boat. I pay $400 year on the boat due to having all the others. Progressive could not touch that for me. I think a lot depends on the agent as well. Mine is incredible and always goes above and beyond with any claims. Just my .02

After checking around all these listed above companies to my surprise they weren't much cheaper than State Farm was. Once the all the discounts were applied IIRC, there was approximately a $20 buck difference between SkiSafe, BoatUs and SF. Given that, all the policies were exactly the same I decided to just stick w/ SF. They've been fast to react and take care of what I needed, so while I may save a few bucks w/ another company I'll stick to them. With local offices and claims center, it's very convenient and efficient to get any claims processed.

I wanted a policy that had an agreed value. I wasn't so worried about getting the lowest price, if that is what you want you can play with the deductable like with autos. I like the policy that travelers offered because of the agreed value and like "Smooth as Glass" pointed out I was able to have my Umbrella policy cover me above an beyond for any ridiculous claims beyond the policy limits for the boat.

After checking around all these listed above companies to my surprise they weren't much cheaper than State Farm was. Once the all the discounts were applied IIRC, there was approximately a $20 buck difference between SkiSafe, BoatUs and SF. Given that, all the policies were exactly the same I decided to just stick w/ SF. They've been fast to react and take care of what I needed, so while I may save a few bucks w/ another company I'll stick to them. With local offices and claims center, it's very convenient and efficient to get any claims processed.

I too have SF for house, auto, boat, family ranch, etc. I HAVE USED my insurance in a boat accident, and they are great; incredibly fast and not judgemental at all. Their biggest concern was getting the boat repaired ($8K in damages). Of course, my family throws them a lot of business, so they aren't going to nickle/dime us. I'm not sure of othjers' situations. My boat policy is $450/year.

One last note: I've had to use SF for 4 AUTO CLAIMS in the past 8 years where every time someone broke into the vehicle to gank the stereo and they tear up the door and pry out the handles...which results in $4K claim (body work). But since it's not collision, it falls under comprehensive. Each time, only $100 deductible, which means SF had to eat virtually all the cost. SF never once raised my rate, nor gave me any flack about it. I really appreciate State Farm.

One last note: I've had to use SF for 4 AUTO CLAIMS in the past 8 years where every time someone broke into the vehicle to gank the stereo and they tear up the door and pry out the handles...which results in $4K claim (body work). But since it's not collision, it falls under comprehensive. Each time, only $100 deductible, which means SF had to eat virtually all the cost. SF never once raised my rate, nor gave me any flack about it. I really appreciate State Farm.

Upon what basis would they raise your rate? Having a theft/comp claim doesn't impact their risk analysis of your insurability.

i am always surprised by discussions about insurance in the usa. it seems everyone carries only 300-400k of liability. Is that really enough in such a litigious society. Are you not risking everthing you own by having such a low limit.

I would be very surprised if any canadians on this forum had less than 1 mil liability and most likely have 2 mil.

I am curious as to why you think 300K limits are low. Also, I am interested in your thoughts on why you think because people use the civil court so much that you should have higher limits.

I think this has the opportunity to be a good discussion about coverage limits.

I think to some extent the amount of liability you carry should depend on the amount of personal assets you have at stake. If you are unfortunate to get involved in a death claim it's going to be a limits loss whether you buy $300k of liability or $500k in liability. If you have a lot to lose personally then you should consider a $1 million umbrella. They are dirt cheap and will generally protect your personal assets in a severe claim settlement scenario. If you have very little personal assets then you don't really have much to lose so why bother with higher limits.

JMO.

i am always surprised by discussions about insurance in the usa. it seems everyone carries only 300-400k of liability. Is that really enough in such a litigious society. Are you not risking everthing you own by having such a low limit.

I would be very surprised if any canadians on this forum had less than 1 mil liability and most likely have 2 mil.

I am curious as to why you think 300K limits are low. Also, I am interested in your thoughts on why you think because people use the civil court so much that you should have higher limits.

I think this has the opportunity to be a good discussion about coverage limits.

I think to some extent the amount of liability you carry should depend on the amount of personal assets you have at stake. If you are unfortunate to get involved in a death claim it's going to be a limits loss whether you buy $300k of liability or $500k in liability. If you have a lot to lose personally then you should consider a $1 million umbrella. They are dirt cheap and will generally protect your personal assets in a severe claim settlement scenario. If you have very little personal assets then you don't really have much to lose so why bother with higher limits.

JMO.

Well if you're just looking at from your own bottom line, I see your point. But most poeple we take out on our boats are friends, and should my negligence injure, maim, or kill someone, I feel some moral responsibility to ensure that I'm buying protection for them, especially when they are friends.

A lot of talk about liability coverage. I assume everyone buys un/underinsured boaters coverage as well?

Edited by JohnDoe
Try contacting the Insurance company you use for you home, cars and life insurance. I use State Farm for Home, (2) Vehicles, Life Insurance and now the boat. I pay $400 year on the boat due to having all the others. Progressive could not touch that for me. I think a lot depends on the agent as well. Mine is incredible and always goes above and beyond with any claims. Just my .02

+1

Having three cars, two boats, and a home make rates pretty darn reasonable. I use Allstate, not saying they are better but one would reason any company should give better rates for multiple policies.

I also totally agree with Martho, how the heck can anyone say the company they use is good until a claim has been turned in and dealt with.

My biggest beef with agents (until my current one) is not telling me whats available and why I should have it. Or not asking me enough questions before writing coverage.

I'll never forget when I had AAA for auto insurance and of course towing service. The first time I needed a tow was 3:00 am in the middle of the Nevada desert with bu in tow. I was informed they couldn't tow me without a charge because I didn't have RV coverage. I not so poilitely explained that I couldn't buy what I did not know existed.

Edited by LS-One

+1

Having three cars, two boats, and a home make rates pretty darn reasonable. I use Allstate, not saying they are better but one would reason any company should give better rates for multiple policies.

I also totally agree with Martho, how the heck can anyone say the company they use is good until a claim has been turned in and dealt with.

My biggest beef with agents (until my current one) is not telling me whats available and why I should have it. Or not asking me enough questions before writing coverage.

I'll never forget when I had AAA for auto insurance and of course towing service. The first time I needed a tow was 3:00 am in the middle of the Nevada desert with bu in tow. I was informed they couldn't tow me without a charge because I didn't have RV coverage. I not so poilitely explained that I couldn't buy what I did not know existed.

I said this in another thread recently. Most agents do not understand the coverages and how they apply. They are sales people. Would you have your new car salesperson remove the heads on your car engine? Same thing applies with most agents.

Upon what basis would they raise your rate? Having a theft/comp claim doesn't impact their risk analysis of your insurability.

Loss frequency could be one scenario.

Another would be that the aftermarket equipment is causing the loss so they may look toward having an endorsement for the non OEM stereo stuff. This is usually done via a regional change in the policy language, not solely within an individual policy.

+1

I said this in another thread recently. Most agents do not understand the coverages and how they apply. They are sales people. Would you have your new car salesperson remove the heads on your car engine? Same thing applies with most agents.

I hear what you are saying, but a well informed sales person will sell me more, protect me better, make more money for the agency and him or herself.

I'm probably just venting, I have the same issues in my biz with my sales folks.. :)

Well, for those hanging on the edge of their seat... I decided to stick with Ski Safe.

They really gave me the best rate, and after this thread, some additional research on "reviews" and actually talking with them on the phone, I feel much better about them as a company. I talked with the guy on the phone, and they had really good customer service on the sales side, and he made me feel good & comfy about their claims department. Also, I confirmed the policy is a "stated value" policy, and good until cancelled. So if I own the boat for 10 years, they'll still pay me the 35K I insured it for if total loss happens.

For the list...

35K boat coverage

3,600 trailer coverage

300K Liability

$500 deductible

$475/yr (plus they applied the $66 credit from my existing policy) Thumbup.gif

Edited by IamN2Speed