Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swim Platform Cleaning

Hi. I have bought 2 boats now with swim platforms that were greyed. I have read things in forums over the years about putting clear finishes over the wood similar to varnishes and clear coats, but I don't ever remember reading about this way of cleaning. Someone had told me a while ago about cleaning teak with Javex and water. Mix a solution of about 50/50 with water, and wet a scrub brush and scrub the grey dead wood off. Spray off the residue with water, let it dry, and it's ready for teak oil. It restores it to a golden brown finish that looks like new.

Maybe someone has already posted this, and I apologize if they did, but I thought I'd share it with others like it was shared with me. A nice swim platform really adds something extra to the boat. :)

Hi. I have bought 2 boats now with swim platforms that were greyed. I have read things in forums over the years about putting clear finishes over the wood similar to varnishes and clear coats, but I don't ever remember reading about this way of cleaning. Someone had told me a while ago about cleaning teak with Javex and water. Mix a solution of about 50/50 with water, and wet a scrub brush and scrub the grey dead wood off. Spray off the residue with water, let it dry, and it's ready for teak oil. It restores it to a golden brown finish that looks like new.

Maybe someone has already posted this, and I apologize if they did, but I thought I'd share it with others like it was shared with me. A nice swim platform really adds something extra to the boat. :)

I sanded mine with 80 grit and used Theak Gaurd last year, it lasted for a while but pretty much scraped off with novice wakeboarders on the platform, this year I powerwashed, sanded with 60 grit and used teak oil. It looks great like brand new, I reccomend just using teak or Tung oil, no clear finishes.

I just did mine. It also was grey, but I did not realize it have a varathane finish on it until I started sanding it. I think the best way to refinish it is with a belt sand with medium 80 grit and then you can use a paint scrapper to carefully get the groves. I am also a big fan of teak oil, but make sure it is marine grade, it will say on the lable. Finding teak oil was difficult in my area but I finally found Circa 1850 "Tung and Teak oil" which is good for marine use.

I sanded mine with 80 grit and used Theak Gaurd last year, it lasted for a while but pretty much scraped off with novice wakeboarders on the platform, this year I powerwashed, sanded with 60 grit and used teak oil. It looks great like brand new, I reccomend just using teak or Tung oil, no clear finishes.

I clean mine w/Teak cleaner, which is essentially oxalic acid. Remove the platform. wet it down, spinkle the cleaner on, rub it in with a brush, let it set it bit and rinse it off. Sand/smooth gouges, then give it a good coating of teak oil - I put it on with a brush, as much as the wood will absorb, then wipe off the excess. I do this once a year and wipe it with oil maybe 2 other times a season - looks like new. Gray teak is not dead wood (well it is since it's not growing) - it's just missing oil. Any kind of clear/film finish will prevent oil absorbtion. My friend's platform got varnished - even though he's sanded it down to bare wood it still doesn't absorb oil properly.