Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX verses Centurion Lighting

joshturbo

I know that they are in different catagorys. i know the basics but not the techincal and wake performance side of things

I have a hold on a VTX, and i am comparing it to a lighting mainly due to the 17000-20000 dollar difference. I know i am going to get hated on but its 20k. as i am new to Vdrives can people help me out here and point me in the right direction, cause i dont want to make a mistake by buying one that i am going to trade in next year .

Drive them both back to back. Any dealer should not be afraid to put their product against the competition.

Only way to do it, people on this forum love the VTX and with good reason, but we're not writing the check.

-Chris

I agree, test them both. $20k is a lot of money and if you are mostly into cruising, tubing, and occasional wakeboarding then either boat will likely fit your needs well.

I have a good friend with a Centurion Air Warrior Elite C4 and I don't know how that compares to the Lightning but compared to the VTX they are completely different boats. His boat is very nice. I like the snap out carpets and the seats felt nice. I didn't see any issues with any of the construction of the boat and I feel that Centurion is close to the big 3 on fit and finish. If I wasn't so concerned with performance on my boat, I would consider a Centurion. However, I do care about the watersports performance of my boat. To me his boat drives and handles like a big stern drive. It is slow out of the hole and doesn't track the best. I could never see skiing or barefooting behind it (simialr to a sterndrive again). The wakeboarding wake was obviously bigger than my '96 Response with a wedge however when a rider pulled to the side you felt it and the driver and had to adjust.

Bottom line: Test them both and decide if you feel that the Malibu is worth $20k more. To me the performance (crossover ability of slalom, barefooting, and wakeboarding) of the VTX made it a no brainer but that is just me.

Drive them both back to back. Any dealer should not be afraid to put their product against the competition.

Only way to do it, people on this forum love the VTX and with good reason, but we're not writing the check.

-Chris

Plus1.gif

You definitely have to drive them both. Plus, if you are serious about your watersports, test that out. Any dealer worth their salt will take you for a tow or two. I wakeboarded and slalom skied behind 3 malibus, a moomba and drove, but did not ski or board behind a Calabria V2, which I think would be the closest thing to a VTX but for a lower price point, and an a lower performance level, but with fairly flat wake for a V-drive.

I know that they are in different catagorys. i know the basics but not the techincal and wake performance side of things

I have a hold on a VTX, and i am comparing it to a lighting mainly due to the 17000-20000 dollar difference. I know i am going to get hated on but its 20k. as i am new to Vdrives can people help me out here and point me in the right direction, cause i dont want to make a mistake by buying one that i am going to trade in next year .

2wayskier had a centruion and recently purchased a new VTX.

I won't speak for him but I know he is really happy with the new VTX.

I have two friends that have Centurions, 1 is an 04 V drive Avalanche the other an 05 Direct drive C-5 I think ?? The Avalanche is the nicer of the two.

They both get the job done and I've enjoyed time in both but my Buddie sat in my boat just after he bought his C-5 and said you can tell where the extra cash goes, meaning comfort cushy seats trim and other items. Thats what you notice just sitting at anchor. But you don't need that stuff to have fun.

I agree, test them both. $20k is a lot of money and if you are mostly into cruising, tubing, and occasional wakeboarding then either boat will likely fit your needs well.

I have a good friend with a Centurion Air Warrior Elite C4 and I don't know how that compares to the Lightning but compared to the VTX they are completely different boats. His boat is very nice. I like the snap out carpets and the seats felt nice. I didn't see any issues with any of the construction of the boat and I feel that Centurion is close to the big 3 on fit and finish. If I wasn't so concerned with performance on my boat, I would consider a Centurion. However, I do care about the watersports performance of my boat. To me his boat drives and handles like a big stern drive. It is slow out of the hole and doesn't track the best. I could never see skiing or barefooting behind it (simialr to a sterndrive again). The wakeboarding wake was obviously bigger than my '96 Response with a wedge however when a rider pulled to the side you felt it and the driver and had to adjust.

Bottom line: Test them both and decide if you feel that the Malibu is worth $20k more. To me the performance (crossover ability of slalom, barefooting, and wakeboarding) of the VTX made it a no brainer but that is just me.

Plus1.gif

Hey Cresentbar, You can talk for me!

Joshturbo, When you drive both, you'll see some differences. We used to own a Cent Elite V drive and the wake is quite different than our new VTX with the diamond hull. The VTX has better wakes for skiing and wakeboard and it looks good for surfing although we haven't gone yet. The VTX drive's like a sportscar compared to the Cent.

There is also a lot of cost on the VTX for the wedge, the larger ballast system that has the rider presets. The Cent is a good bought that performs adequately. The VTX is great boat that performs exceptionally.

There is a big difference in the two. You really need to drive both boats and you will see it. The Lightning has a good ride and steep wake but handles like a runabout. It has a lot of roll when turning and much more engine noise. The wake is very sensitive to weight. The fit and finish is good but nothing like a Bu. The Lightning is more like the V-Ride when comparing the two. If you order the V-Ride with the upgraded carpet, stainless cub holders, upgraded steering wheel, upgraded throtle knob, and bow rails it is almost as nice as the VTX. The VTX is an awesome boat. With the ballast under the floor you gain a ton of storage. With the 4 ballast and even the floating wedge it is a great wake. It handles almost as well as a direct drive. Just drive both and then decide.

I sold a Elite V Drive 1999 for my Bu but I went from the V drive to a DD. I am a slalom person not into boarding. I will say my 99 had outstanding glass and gel coat the only thing I was a Little disappointed with was the seats broke down in six years otherwise the boat was very good no unusual problems. I replaced the steering cable after 6 years It had a Mer-cruse 315 horse injected never a problem.