Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Throttle Return Spring Replacement for Perfect Pass

Topline:

Installed PP digital pro last spring. Only problem is it will go well beyond the set point in slalom mode and then takes a while to come back down. Been through the manual front to back and went through all the tests. If my ability to comprehend and perform the tests is up to par (which may infact be the problem), then replacing the throttle return spring is the last thing to consider according to the manual.

Details:

Boat = 2002 sslxi, Monsoon

Perfect Pass version - 6.5 ng installed by me

Everything about perfect pass works great except for this minor detail. I refer to it as minor since the CFO has learned to compensate by starting to back off the throttle just before perfect pass engages. Maybe that is normal, but seems like we should be able to pull some one up and as soon as we hear it engage let go of the throttle and let perfect pass do the rest. Any help, thoughts, feedback, is appreciated.

That sounds pretty dang normal. A lot of people have the misconception that you can just floor it with speed control and the boat will sort everything out. That's true to an extent, but first it will shoot way past the set speed, then drop too far below when it over compensates to drop all of the speed. You get into a pattern that has less variance each time, but the dampening factor is no where near good enough to fix the speed right away on the first go.

I've found that if I tell people to drive like Perfect Pass isn't even there, and try to drive right up to the set point, then the transition to speed control is seamless.

I have the same issue and it used to be worse. I changed the location of the servo motor a bit, which helped, but the problem has never completely gone away and driving like Jason (and your wife) are doing has pretty much made me forget that the "problem" even exists now.

Mike

That sounds pretty dang normal. A lot of people have the misconception that you can just floor it with speed control and the boat will sort everything out. That's true to an extent, but first it will shoot way past the set speed, then drop too far below when it over compensates to drop all of the speed. You get into a pattern that has less variance each time, but the dampening factor is no where near good enough to fix the speed right away on the first go.

I've found that if I tell people to drive like Perfect Pass isn't even there, and try to drive right up to the set point, then the transition to speed control is seamless.

Well it is certainly something we have gotten use to, but figured if there was something I could do that was relatively simple it would be worthwhile. Thanks for the reply.

I have the same issue and it used to be worse. I changed the location of the servo motor a bit, which helped, but the problem has never completely gone away and driving like Jason (and your wife) are doing has pretty much made me forget that the "problem" even exists now.

Mike

Just placed the servo motor according to directions. I will look at modifying the location before replacing the throttle return spring. Thanks

FWIW: I've driven (and skiied) a 2005 MC with perfect pass, and all you have to do is floor it and perfect pass takes over at the appropriate speed. The transition IS seamless. I believe that boat has a throttle cable too, its not DBW.

However, that boat is my ONLY experience with PP. I was sold on PP since driving that boat, and I will be adding it in the next month to my Bu. It is interesting to hear that it is behaving differently for some people.

FWIW: I've driven (and skiied) a 2005 MC with perfect pass, and all you have to do is floor it and perfect pass takes over at the appropriate speed. The transition IS seamless. I believe that boat has a throttle cable too, its not DBW.

However, that boat is my ONLY experience with PP. I was sold on PP since driving that boat, and I will be adding it in the next month to my Bu. It is interesting to hear that it is behaving differently for some people.

Not how it works on a Malibu....DBW or otherwise.

The perfectpass is an external control and can only do so much, it can't be too sensitive or make extreme changes in speed or throttle position otherwise the pull would stink.

I would say nothing is wrong with the OP's system, just the way it is.

-Chris

I don't see how relocating the servo would have an effect and while I have heard of people adding a spring to the carb I think the issue is more of a technique thing. If you go way past the RPM pre-set in the PP it is going to have further to travel back to reach the pre-set and therefore take longer timewise to slow down. (Not a smooth pull for the skier) I like the idea of driving like it's not there. When I drive I pull the skier up to their liking then adjust speed as needed so that the PP takes over a couple hundred feet before we hit the green bouys. Just my $.02

In my case I relocated the servo motor because I felt the throttle cable was binding just a little bit, which will also cause the kind of problems the OP has seen. It definitely improved after moving it.

Mike

In my case I relocated the servo motor because I felt the throttle cable was binding just a little bit, which will also cause the kind of problems the OP has seen. It definitely improved after moving it.

Mike

Similar to mlange, I fussed with the servo location on my SLXi to get the cable to operate more smoothly. It helped but it still wasn't right. I did some checking and it ended up that I needed to put a spacer on the bolt that connects the PP cable to the throttle linkage...before the spacer, it wasn't exactly straight and was in a bind. After a 3-4mm thick spacer was placed in there, things aligned perfectly and she was smooth as silk.

Edwin,

Could you take a picture of that and put a cool little pointer on it to show exactly what you added?

Here's the best I can do as I don't own the boat anymore. I seem to recall that the "L shaped adpater" in the pic wasn't as long on my PP as in the pic. In essence, I made my own version of a longer L shaped adapter removing the bind.

http://perfectpass.com/pp_support_figure_C.html

Edited by edwin

I don't remember how exactly you'd have to check the manual for specifics but I believe you can adjust the CS or the CR I don't remember which one...but it controls when the pp takes over. you can set it to take over a few mph before the set point and it'll cruise up to the set point. OR what I reverted to (since I just found out abut those settings) is setting the setpoint speed 2-3 mph below what I want it to be...pull em up and as it goes up to what I want it to be and starts to take over...before it goes below it I raise the setpoint on pp. it works great that way but I still wanna do the cr/cs change

Sorry for not getting back in on the posting...Been traveling a lot. Gotta love my new job. So on my install I did not use the L adapter. Seems like the instructions said not to with a fuel injected setup (going to go check). Nothing seems to be binding with the setup, but I will walk through everything again just to make sure. I will also take a couple of pics of my install. Thanks to all for helpful feedback.