Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

C-Clamp vs Harmonic

Any recommendations on prop pullers?

I have only used C-Clamp before but have been lucky enough to never have to own one. However, I want to get a spare prop and puller just in case. A little insurance to save the day!

I'd stay waaaaay away from the so-called harmonic puller.

I think it's ridiculous to send massive shocks and vibrations up your driveline.

Plus1.gif C puller
I'd stay waaaaay away from the so-called harmonic puller.

I think it's ridiculous to send massive shocks and vibrations up your driveline.

According to Acme:

Do not just keep tightening the c-clamp style puller until the prop comes off, you will break the puller in half. Get the puller tight and strike the end of the puller nut with a hammer, if the nut loosens up, re-tighten and strike again. If you are just changing the prop it shouldn't take much to get the prop off. If you have hit something and spun the prop on the shaft you might not get it off with either style pullers. I have had to drive one off from the back side.

I am not suggesting but just curious to see if anybody has ever tried removing a propeller by loosening the nut (about 1/4 inch back and keeping the kotter pin on) and shifting a few time from neutral to reverse? Dontknow.gif In theory, the force should pull the propeller, just not sure if it is enough to pull it out? Of course, this would be could to change a good prop for a different size and pitch, but useless if you have struck and have no more blades...

According to Acme:

Do not just keep tightening the c-clamp style puller until the prop comes off, you will break the puller in half. Get the puller tight and strike the end of the puller nut with a hammer, if the nut loosens up, re-tighten and strike again. If you are just changing the prop it shouldn't take much to get the prop off. If you have hit something and spun the prop on the shaft you might not get it off with either style pullers. I have had to drive one off from the back side.

I'm no puller engineer or work for ACME but, it would seem to me that if you beat on the puller bolt head, you're gonna round it to the point that the fancy prop puller wrench that comes in the kit will not fit over the bolt head anymore.

I have removed props by simply cranking down on the bolt without breaking a puller in half. (Thanks O.J. pullers)

I recommend tightening the bolt all the way then shocking the center of the prop with hot water and/or striking the puller with a hammer here...

post-29-1209004683_thumb.jpg

I have both but have only used the C clamp style - somebody left the other on my dock a couple years ago.

Usually just a few turns and a medium tap and shes free.

I don't remove them very often so very little hands on experience.

According to Acme:

I'm no puller engineer or work for ACME but, it would seem to me that if you beat on the puller bolt head, you're gonna round it to the point that the fancy prop puller wrench that comes in the kit will not fit over the bolt head anymore.

I have removed props by simply cranking down on the bolt without breaking a puller in half. (Thanks O.J. pullers)

I recommend tightening the bolt all the way then shocking the center of the prop with hot water and/or striking the puller with a hammer here...

Since I not a "Puller engineer" myself either I gave you the "Acme-Puller engineer's" advice.

What did you tap Darin? The end of the shaft, the back of the prop?

Let's not forget you're the size of Hulk Hogan compared to us.

According to Acme:

Pete has the most correct answer. No matter how big the bolt or head is that your hitting, its sending a shock/force into the bolt that could damage the threads or even bend it. I would go with hitting the area that Pete has indicated in the pic.

According to Acme:

Pete has the most correct answer. No matter how big the bolt or head is that your hitting, its sending a shock/force into the bolt that could damage the threads or even bend it. I would go with hitting the area that Pete has indicated in the pic.

The puller I have came with instructions to do just exactly that.

What did you tap Darin? The end of the shaft, the back of the prop?

Let's not forget you're the size of Hulk Hogan compared to us.

I just tapped the back of the prop with the small plastic dead blow hammer while turning it by hand so it didn't bind and it came right off, I put a loner prop on until my new one showed up and did the same thing again. Maybe next time it won't be so easy Dontknow.gif