Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

considering buying 1995 response

sunnyd

hi very new to this forum and malibus. i was considering buying a 1995 response and using it for wakeboarding. i know this is not the ideal boat but i was wondering how it would do with balast or a wedge. or could i even put a wedge on it if so what type. also how much of an difference would the wedge make ?

what kind of boarder are you? Are you new at the sport? And how many people do you have in your crew at any given time?

With weight and a wedge the wake on a response will be bigger, and i have seen plenty of people wakeboard and surf it before with out a problem. But if you are used to a v-drive or a wakeboard boat, or if you typically ride with a large crew, a response would most likely not make you real happy in the long run.

My last boat was a '96 Response and with the wedge it was good for wakeboarding for beginners and probably some intermediates. I would consider my abilities as a decent beginner. With just the wedge we had significantly more wake than a friend who has an 06 MC Prostar with 500 lbs sac in the back. The wedge does a great job on the Classic Responses due to the narrow beam. It really pulls the boat down well. Since I am not a very good wakeboarder it was plenty for me to enjoy. I prefer to barefoot and slalom and usually only wakeboard when conditions aren't ideal for footin or slalom. I was able to hit a couple of flips a few years back behind the Response with the wedge but that was probably more luck than anything.

Bottom line: Clearly not ideal but can you have fun wakeboarding behind it, yes. If you are going to exclusively wakeboard and can pull together the money, I suggest to keep looking for a v-drive. Maybe you can get a friend to buy a boat with.

i am new to wakeboarding but really enjoy it... don't plan on having lots of people in the boat too distracting, the guy is asking like 9500 for it was just wondering if it would be worth it

I had a '95 Response before I bought my '05 Wakesetter and loved the wake for skiing. Amazing at 34 - 36 mph! I used to wakeboard behind it without a wedge or tower and 4 or 5 people in the boat and it was ok. I am sure with a wedge and a tower it would more than enough unless you want to do backflips, etc on your board.

Before you set your mind on adding a wedge, I suggest you get a REAL price quote first. From older threads, adding a Wedge AFTER the factory is not a trivial job. It requires access from inside. You'd likely be spending $1500 +- to add a Wedge. It might be worth adding that $1500 (or whatever the real price is) and aiming for a boat that already has one installed.

I have a 1998 Response. My daughter loves boarding. I don't have a wedge. This boat is so well designed for skiing (flat wake), even after I added an extended pole and a 500 pound fat-sack in the rear, the wake is still just marginally acceptable for her.

So.... some day, I may cross to the dark side on behalf of my kids, and go for an RLXi or later model RLX with a wedge and (yuck) possibly a tower. (It hurts just saying those words..... but it's a family boat, not just mine.) That's about as far as I can move into boarding territory.... RLXi is still Malibu's ski-tourney approved hull.

I have a 96 Response with a tower and no wedge. Never weighted it down and have had guys flip behind it. Of course they knew what they were doing. I am a novice wakeboarder and with a descent size crew in the back it does okay for my skills. Problem I have is I would like to weight it but there is not a lot of room in those boats and losing valuable space to a sack is hard to do. Think about your use and skill level before buying. With the economy there is going to be a fire sale on a lot of boats sooner than later so maybe keep shopping if you are on the fence.

I know of a really good looking response lxi with a tower and wedge plate....

Is this the one you got from a Fla ski school..... the one you're keeping forever..... the one that is the source of several wagers?

If I recall.... it was red and pretty. Are you serious about selling?

I think you'll find that a weighted response, prior to diamond hull, was not all that bad. Prior to the VD's, thats what malibu provided to their pros...Mike Weddington and Andrea Gaytan. Man, those were the days!