Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bilge pump not working....

I noticed when I was out the other day that my bilge pump wasn't working.....I though the impeller inside just siezed up over the winter like it did last year. When I opened it up, I found (to my dismay) that one of the three wires (I think one of the red ones) was melted all the way through and the contact switch that the float was connected to was all corroded. Anyone have any idea what may have caused this?

Second, does anyone know which bilge pumps Malibu was using in the 2000 RLXs. It would be nice to just drop in the top part and leave the base mounted as is.

Dontknow.gif

My 01 had a 500gph Attwood Sahara or something like that. When mine went I had the same thought as you but decided to upgrade to a Rule 750gph....higher capacity and still used the 3/4" hose. Even the 800gph Tsunami would work. Found one on-line for $22 shipped. Not sure which is better....upgrading to more pumping power or ease of install using the same base.

Mine had screws holding it down. You'll have to pop the pump out of the base to see them. The only thing you can do wrong putting a new one down is drilling too deep or using a screw that's too long. You'd be safe re-using the original screws. Wrap tape around your drill bit as a marker/stopper to keep the bit from going through. You could probably use an epoxy like for depth finder transducers, but the next guy probably won't like that too much.

How is the base of the pump attached to the bottom of the bilge? I didn't see any screws securing it.

Look harder, but I believe they no longer make the same pump anymore that was in those older boats. You'll have to replace the base.

It's really no big deal, just a couple screws.

-Chris