Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

sand spike

txwakejunkie

I have one that i use but i only use it to keep the back of the boat facing the shore. i use a box anchor for holding the boat. i have never had a problem with it. and it stores well.

I have one that i use but i only use it to keep the back of the boat facing the shore. i use a box anchor for holding the boat. i have never had a problem with it. and it stores well.

We like to camp, and tie the boat off for hours at a time. We have a good anchor for the bow, but need something to hold the rear of the boat towards the shore like you said.

They make a few different sizes. I had one of the smaller one for my old boat(prostar190) and never had it pull out.

Then our new boat LSV with the tower bimini pulls the small one out pretty easily with a gust of wind. After upgrading to the larger one it works great and haven't had any problems. Now that I have two I use the other one in a v pattern to hold the boat from moving around so much.

They make a few different sizes. I had one of the smaller one for my old boat(prostar190) and never had it pull out.

Then our new boat LSV with the tower bimini pulls the small one out pretty easily with a gust of wind. After upgrading to the larger one it works great and haven't had any problems. Now that I have two I use the other one in a v pattern to hold the boat from moving around so much.

that seems like a good idea when you plan on being there for a while.

I know this is a stupid question - so please forgive me in advance.

Why do you park your boats with the stern closest to shore and the bow facing out?

I know this isn't a good reason, but all sorts of Malibu brochures and marketing materials show malibus beached on shore, specifically the v-drives...

Dontknow.gifDontknow.gif

Edited by forrestgump1203
I know this is a stupid question - so please forgive me in advance.

Why do you park your boats with the stern closest to shore and the bow facing out?

I know this isn't a good reason, but all sorts of Malibu brochures and marketing materials show malibus beached on shore, specifically the v-drives...

Dontknow.gifDontknow.gif

Makes it easier to get in & out of the boat to get to the shore for one. When we go boat in camping, especially, tying up with the bow out makes it easy to pull the boat towards you a little and climb right in.

Sorry, are you referring to the brouchures showing them beached stern in or bow? I'm pretty sure I've never seen the stern beached.

Beached with the bow towards shore. Sorry, I wasn't clear.

You want to keep the bow towards the sea and not the shore because that is the direction the waves or rollers are coming from. The bow cuts the water better. For example, (steering problems aside) would you rather drive the boat in forward or reverse in rough water? If the aft points toward the sea, it will take on more water and get beat to hell if waves come in. Also, as an aside, marketing brochures are made by marketing people, not necessarily by experienced boaters. So take marketing pictures with a grain of salt.

I use one of these. Works great and I dont need a hammer on hard packet ground. FWIW always stern in when anchoring with anchor buddy after advice from the crew Thumbup.gif Just make sure that you back up your anchor buddy with anchor line JIC it breaks. I heard that happens. It has not happen to me but better safe than sorry.

2451233.jpg

I use one of these. Works great and I dont need a hammer on hard packet ground. FWIW always stern in when anchoring with anchor buddy after advice from the crew Thumbup.gif Just make sure that you back up your anchor buddy with anchor line JIC it breaks. I heard that happens. It has not happen to me but better safe than sorry.

2451233.jpg

where do you get these and what do they cost?

2451233.jpg

where do you get these and what do they cost?

I bought mine from my local Westmarine store. They are about $20-30 more than the sand spike. Here is a link to the online store.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...mp;classNum=450

Yeah, I purchased the bag. It works great. Just make sure the metal rod that the handle slides on is completely collapsed. The handle should be resting on the top of the anchor. If you dont do that then when you put the anchor in the bag it will extend past the end of the bag and tear through the bottom. I know from experience. OOPS Whistling.gif

Sand spike is the way to go!! simple, small and functional! those other beach anchors are huge and heavy, unless you plan on anchoring into granite.. the sand spikes work perfect, i would never change!