Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

malibu boat HIN (hull identification number)

wakesetterincali

I am looking at what is advertised as a 2002 Wakesetter VLX. I have looked at the HIM and it ends in "01". In years past, I hame always looked at these numbers and the last two digits will tell what year is is....In this case it is "01", however the seller swears up and down that it it is a 2002. I disagree. Any comments out there? The boat has a retrofitted wedge, as I am told and the boats seems used, but in fairly decent condition....Needs new steering cables, and the rudder box flange is leaking water into the boat, the PP is not set up to read MPH from the paddle wheel and can only use RPM as the cruise speed. Needs to be claened and detailed... Trailer kind of beat up...

Thanks

Dave

Folsom, CA

Here is what the rest of the numbers mean:

Optional, as of January 1, 1984, was a new-format version, simply called new format. This format became mandatory August 1, 1984, replacing the two previous formats.

• In the new format, characters 1, 2, and 3 of the HIN are still the Manufacturer's Identification Code. Sometimes the letters of this manufacturer's code easily identify the manufacturer. In other cases they bear no relationship to the manufacturer's name.

• Characters 4 through 8 are still the alpha-numeric serial number assigned at the discretion of the manufacturer. Some of these manufacturer-assigned characters are laid out very logically, and some defy logic. On a 37-footer, which is hull #51, the number might be 37051; but it also might be a set of characters that only makes sense to the builder.

• Character 9 indicates the month of manufacture or certification. A designates January, B February, and so on through December (a big improvement over the original lettering system that started in August).

• Character 10 is a numeral that indicates the last digit of the year of manufacture or certification.

• Characters 11 and 12 indicate the model year. Thus, 82 would indicate the boat's model year was 1982.

I am looking at what is advertised as a 2002 Wakesetter VLX. I have looked at the HIM and it ends in "01". In years past, I hame always looked at these numbers and the last two digits will tell what year is is....In this case it is "01", however the seller swears up and down that it it is a 2002. I disagree. Any comments out there? The boat has a retrofitted wedge, as I am told and the boats seems used, but in fairly decent condition....Needs new steering cables, and the rudder box flange is leaking water into the boat, the PP is not set up to read MPH from the paddle wheel and can only use RPM as the cruise speed. Needs to be claened and detailed... Trailer kind of beat up...

Thanks

Dave

Folsom, CA

G'day Dave

here in Australia , malibu tell me the last two digits tell you the year and the letter tells the month

eg : my response ends in A102 that tells me it was built January 2002 { A= January B = February C= March and so on

hope that helps

cheers

Ian

Thanks

Dave

Folsom, CA

G'day Dave

here in Australia , malibu tell me the last two digits tell you the year and the letter tells the month

eg : my response ends in A102 that tells me it was built January 2002 { A= January B = February C= March and so on

hope that helps

cheers

Ian

A102 would be built in jan of 01 & called a 02??? i have to wonder if the boat was a left over & just the last digit was changed. A202 would have been built in jan of 02