Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fault Codes?

livingforthelsv

Well the lsv is sick... I got it in the water and before the moter was even on i got a "service Required" on my screen... I checked all fluides and all was fine so i took it for a cruise monitoring my oil level and pressure as well as the transmission levels. All was well in fact i even wakeboarded a bit. But everytime i turn on the ignition to prime the fuel system i got the same message with no audible alarms. I also got the message at times while the moter was on... I did not loose any oil and took it home, read up on my manual to find i can get into the diagnostics menu and find the faults. After finding the Fault codes i had "1 active" and "0 inactive". I then highlighted the active and pressed enter to see "engin1". I pressed enter again and this is what was displayed exactly as its typed...

CAT_A_TempSensor

SPN 65671 CM O

VOLTAGE SHORT OR

ABOVE NORMAL RNG

FM1 3 OC13

I will add, i just had my oil filter housing replaced since someone had overtightened the oil lines splitting the connector. I found this out at hour 2.5. Got that fixed headed to the lake and got this new message! The original message i got due to the lack of oil read "Engine Fault" followed by an alarm. Now i have 4.2 hours on it and i am having diffulculty believing these are due to the same problem, but i cant ignore the proximity of them... I sent an email to my dealer and his mechanic, but they dont have much experience in this, so what ever info i could get from any of you would be much appreciated.

Well the lsv is sick... I got it in the water and before the moter was even on i got a "service Required" on my screen... I checked all fluides and all was fine so i took it for a cruise monitoring my oil level and pressure as well as the transmission levels. All was well in fact i even wakeboarded a bit. But everytime i turn on the ignition to prime the fuel system i got the same message with no audible alarms. I also got the message at times while the moter was on... I did not loose any oil and took it home, read up on my manual to find i can get into the diagnostics menu and find the faults. After finding the Fault codes i had "1 active" and "0 inactive". I then highlighted the active and pressed enter to see "engin1". I pressed enter again and this is what was displayed exactly as its typed...

CAT_A_TempSensor

SPN 65671 CM O

VOLTAGE SHORT OR

ABOVE NORMAL RNG

FM1 3 OC13

I will add, i just had my oil filter housing replaced since someone had overtightened the oil lines splitting the connector. I found this out at hour 2.5. Got that fixed headed to the lake and got this new message! The original message i got due to the lack of oil read "Engine Fault" followed by an alarm. Now i have 4.2 hours on it and i am having diffulculty believing these are due to the same problem, but i cant ignore the proximity of them... I sent an email to my dealer and his mechanic, but they dont have much experience in this, so what ever info i could get from any of you would be much appreciated.

I had a fault code a few hours in as well (340 monsoon). can't remember the exact code something to do with the battery i think. You need to take it to an authorized Indmar dealer. Make sure they have the latest software or they won't be of much help. The place i went to did not have the latest software but between the print out in the MMDC and phone to indmar they figured it was nothing to worry about and sent me on my way. hasn't been a problem since. Dontknow.gif

I had the same exact engine fault code, and my dealer replaced the sensor....they did it while I waited.

They said they've had this issue on a few of the newer 08's.....in fact...two of the extra ones they had in stock failed as well with the same error. They actually rain my boat in the service area to make sure they finally replaced it with one that worked. I went out all day yesterday and the engine fault code didn't come back.....

Bad temperature sensor on your "A" catalytic converter. Make sure it is plugged in. If so, it went bad. Might be built into the O2 sensor.

Bad temperature sensor on your "A" catalytic converter.
Which one is "A" port or starboard?
"A" is the side of the motor with the odd cylinder numbers. Usually refered to bank 1.

:lol: So which side is bank 1, port or starboard? (DD)

Thats exactly what it was, man your good... Thanks. My dealer just borrowed another sensor from one of his 08's and i am up and running.

Congrats on the fix!

Bad temperature sensor on your "A" catalytic converter.
Which one is "A" port or starboard?
"A" is the side of the motor with the odd cylinder numbers. Usually refered to bank 1.

:lol: So which side is bank 1, port or starboard? (DD)

The side with the red on the bow light. HA HA

E-john, you're killing me here. Port or starboard??? Crazy.gif Ok, let's see, if I can see the red light. . .that means he has the right of way. . .boat on right has that. . .so I'm looking at his. . .PORT SIDE! Hallelujah!

I had the same thing happen to me this weekend. Boat Came back from the 20hr (actually had 25 hours). The fault codes were for both sensors A and B. The mechanic came out to the house cleared the fault codes and then ran the boat with the diagnostic computer attached and could not see any issues. Of course, after he left the computer coded again with the same two codes. He was going to go back out this week and check it when he could call Indmar and get them on the line. I will report when he lets me know the problem. I love these new boats and all the technolog but I do get a little ticked when I have a brand new 65K boat and my neighbor has an 83 MC that always fires up and if it doesn't usually carb cleaner will fix the problem. /end rant.

Preston

Sounds like these sensors may end up being a bit of a problem.

phall925, not sure how he cleared the fault or if it should then stay away. However, there's something in the manual about the boat going through 3 complete warm up cycles before the service required message goes away. FWIW

The ECM needs to see a confimed fault twice before it will trigger the SES light (2 start stop cylcles). This way it does not send intermitent problems your way all the time. That is why the tech did not get the fault after he cleared the codes. It (ECM) had to see it twice.

• 1 month later...

Got the same fault. Boat has been at shop for 3 weeks waiting for a new O2 sensor. Can I run the boat with a bad O2 sensor until the new one comes in??? Im having withdrawal symptoms from lack of surfing!!!!

Got the same fault. Boat has been at shop for 3 weeks waiting for a new O2 sensor. Can I run the boat with a bad O2 sensor until the new one comes in??? Im having withdrawal symptoms from lack of surfing!!!!

I would (and did) with mine. Can't believe its taken 3 weeks though since this appears to be a common problem. My dealer had them in stock at the time in May.

• 2 years later...

Just an update... i was the first to post on this topic and unfortunatley i continue to have the exact same problem! Every year i have the Cat A sensor replaced and i continue to have the same warning! any ideas on how i can just bypass this sensor since it continues to be defective?

The details are sketchy, but I remember a friend of mine having sensor issues with his new 2008 VLX Monsoon. It required a software download from the dealer.

we had the same problem when we got 2008 vlx ,first 1-2 hours in water sensor came up. replace sensor it has problem and everything will be perfect. many 2008 vlx had problems with that sensor and

there was a recall on the throttle handle and some electrical parts that needed replacing..but since then .(touch wood..) the boat has been perfect !

call indmar direct if this doesnt help ,someone there will solve your problem..there is someone from indmar in this forum at times if you can find him..

The details are sketchy, but I remember a friend of mine having sensor issues with his new 2008 VLX Monsoon. It required a software download from the dealer.

Yes, have the dealer make sure the ecm calibration is current, or install any updates.

Peter

• 9 years later...
4 hours ago, tomdog said:

I have a 2017 TXI 6 liters 409 hp.

My codes are 

Fault 1

SPN 3256

FMI 5

What needs to be replaced ?

I just used a popular search engine to find that your code means that you have a slow O2 sensor.  I would make sure that you have a fully charged battery before you go off and start diagnosing or changing parts.