Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Oil

The Indmar manual recommends using Pensoil Marine 15W40.

Is there any reason not to use regular Pensoil 10W40 (this is avaiable in many places, whereas I am having difficulty finding the Marine 15W40)?

Many oil threads on here, so do a SEARCH and you will find what your looking for.

Marine grade oils are basically the same GRADE as HD Diesel oils. I had the same trouble until I realized this, so now I get my oil (Shell Rotella-T Syn) from AutoZone. Delvac, Shell, Castrol all make high performance, HD grade Diesel oils that ARE readily available at most Auto Parts stores.

I personally, would not run off the shelf regular Penzoil 10w40, but that is just my opinion. There IS a difference in the GRADE/Rating on the bottle.

Is there any reason not to use regular Pensoil 10W40 (this is avaiable in many places, whereas I am having difficulty finding the Marine 15W40)?

Yup, what he said. Use marine or diesel-rated oil. Brand is not as important, but rating IS. I used Napa Premium 15w-40 in my 335.

Scott is pretty much on the ball.

FYI - Scott does enough research he slow down he internet trying to access all corners to make sure he is getting all info possible.

Some auto manufactures recommend certain brands of gasoline when you open the gas filler door. I think the gas and oil producers pay a lot for that advertising. A good, certified oil is important. You can usually find 15-40 at a marine store. I use Kendall because experiments we did with it long ago regarding hot and cold temps.

I SEE YOU PUT DOWN 10W-40, ONLY USE A 15W-40 WEIGHT OIL AS INDMAR RECOMMENDS. 10W-40 IS NOT A HEAVY ENOUGH OIL AND WILL BREAK DOWN CAUSING LUBRICATION AND POSSIBLE MOTOR PROBLEMS. I SPOKE TO INDMAR TECH BACK AWHILE AGO ABOUT THE RECOMMENDED PENNZOIL MARINE 15W-40 AND WAS TOLD THEY HAVE A CONTRACT WITH PENNZOIL. I ALSO SPOKE WITH PENNZOIL ABOUT THE MARINE GRADE VS THE DIESEL GRADE 15W-40, HE SAID HE WASN'T SUPPOSED TO SAY IT BUT THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE LABEL. I USE 15W-40 KENDALL AND AS WAS MENTIONED ANY OF THE 15W-40 OILS THAT HAVE THE CORRECT API SERVICE RATINGS ON THEM ARE FINE.

Hey now!!! I resemble that remark!

Counseling is for dummies! Surprised.gif

Thanks John! Tongue.gifWhistling.gif

Scott is pretty much on the ball.

FYI - Scott does enough research he slow down he internet trying to access all corners to make sure he is getting all info possible.

There is really no difference in the thickness of 10w-40 oil or 15w-40. Both are a 40 wieght oil with the 15w being a bit thicker when cold. Automotive oils are not the best bet to use in marine applications though, mainly because of the envirement they are in. Moisture has a tendency to make oil acidic which is not good for the engine, therefore marine, and light duty diesel engine oils (your 15w's) have a higher initial basic (the opposite of acidic) number. This number is called the oils TBN. Auto service oils have a TBN of 6 to 9 coming out of the bottle, whereas your LD and HD diesel and Marine oils have a TBN of 12 to 15. Oil users who run oils for extended intervals, such as locomotives and tracter trailers have their oils tested regularly to see when the oil has reached the end of its usefull life. The main thing they look at is the TBN which stands for total base number. As the TBN falls off to around 2, it is then time to change out the oil as it will soon become acidic even though its lubricating abilities are still there.

I use the Rotella 15w40, wally world has the best price around here.

Owning three diesels and a boat that all use it, my shopping cart weighed a ton last time through the check out.

There is really no difference in the thickness of 10w-40 oil or 15w-40. Both are a 40 wieght oil with the 15w being a bit thicker when cold. Automotive oils are not the best bet to use in marine applications though, mainly because of the envirement they are in. Moisture has a tendency to make oil acidic which is not good for the engine, therefore marine, and light duty diesel engine oils (your 15w's) have a higher initial basic (the opposite of acidic) number. This number is called the oils TBN. Auto service oils have a TBN of 6 to 9 coming out of the bottle, whereas your LD and HD diesel and Marine oils have a TBN of 12 to 15. Oil users who run oils for extended intervals, such as locomotives and tracter trailers have their oils tested regularly to see when the oil has reached the end of its usefull life. The main thing they look at is the TBN which stands for total base number. As the TBN falls off to around 2, it is then time to change out the oil as it will soon become acidic even though its lubricating abilities are still there.

Wow! Great post! I learned a lot through reading that. I use the rotella T 15w-40 myself. Maybe I should switch to Amsoil 15w-40 Marine. Do you find that it is more important to use a marine oil when the boat is kept on the water, and less important when it is trailered. If you trailer it, the boat is not constantly subjected to moisture.

On a side note, how much oil should I expect to put in my LS1?

Do you find that it is more important to use a marine oil when the boat is kept on the water, and less important when it is trailered. If you trailer it, the boat is not constantly subjected to moisture.

But it IS constantly subjected to the rigors of marine use when you run it. Use the diesel-rated or marine oil.

5.5 quarts.