Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New battery?

I think my battery has reached the end of it's useful life. That said, can anyone suggest a replacement? Our typical outings are really the tale of two worlds. When I ski with my slalom buddies, we are there to do just that ski (lots of 34-36 mph with less than 10 minutes shut-down between sets). On the other hand, when I go out with my family, we do all different watersports, but in-between we may anchor down and chill out for a while with the stereo on for an hour or so.

That being said should I be looking at "deep cycle" batteries. The guy at the local NAPA said that deep cycle batteries are more for fisherman with electric trolling motors, and that I wouldn't see and additional benefit over using just a regular "marine" battery.

Thoughts???

If I were in your situation I'd go to costco and get a couple marine deep cyle batteries. They will have no problem starting your boat. I say two batteries becuase I think every boat should have a reserve battery for emergency starting situtions. A battery can go bad at anytime and not take a charge, at least you better your odds by having two. You'll need a selector switch, about $40 at westmarine or boatersworld.

Optima blue top. It is their marine battery. My 3 year old blue top fired the boat yesterday after being in the boat and connected and not charged since October.

Optima blue top. It is their marine battery. My 3 year old blue top fired the boat yesterday after being in the boat and connected and not charged since October.

Plus1.gif

If I were in your situation I'd go to costco and get a couple marine deep cyle batteries.

Wouldn't even dream of going boating without a second battery now. It's worth it! We use deepcycles.

I think two batteries is a little over-kill for my situation. Where we boat, we are never more than 1-1/4 miles from the ramp/ tow vehicle. There are roads that run parallel to the river on both the NJ and PA side. Worst case scenario, if the boat were disabled we would have to paddle to either shore and walk a mile or so to the vehicle to pick up the charger/ engine starter. I think I'd rather invest in a good single battery like Optima Blue Top recommended above.

IMHO>

Did the same search at the beginning of last year and came up with this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...#contentWrapper

Sears Die Hard Marine Platiunum AGM 34M...has a much better warranty than Optima and is comparable, if not slightly better in amperage, BICBW. Been VERY Happy...and yes, JohnSVT, I did my research ROFL.gif

Optima Warranty: 18 month replacement plus 18 month pro-rated

Sears Die Hard Marine Platiunum Warranty: 36 month full replacement

Sears: 880 CCA

Optima Blue: 800 CCA

Sears: 135 min reserve

Optima Blue: 100 min

Sears: 68 Ah

Optima: 50 Ah

So on paper, the Sears out performs Optima, hands down.

AND....Figured Sears stands behind everything, kinda like Walmart, so it was a no brainer for me. The Warranty is what sold it. I think I paid a tad > $200 for it.

Hope this helps,

Edited by WaveMake'nLSV
Did the same search at the beginning of last year and came up with this:

<a href="http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...#contentWrapper" target="_blank">http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...#contentWrapper</a>

Sears Die Hard Marine Platiunum AGM 34M...has a much better warranty than Optima and is comparable, if not slightly better in amperage, BICBW. Been VERY Happy...and yes, JohnSVT, I did my research ROFL.gif

Optima Warranty: 18 month replacement plus 18 month pro-rated

Sears Die Hard Marine Platiunum Warranty: 36 month full replacement

Sears: 880 CCA

Optima Blue: 800 CCA

Sears: 135 min reserve

Optima Blue: 100 min

Sears: 68 Ah

Optima: 50 Ah

So on paper, the Sears out performs Optima, hands down.

AND....Figured Sears stands behind everything, kinda like Walmart, so it was a no brainer for me. The Warranty is what sold it. I think I paid a tad > $200 for it.

Hope this helps,

I have nothing to add of use but would agree with Wake on this one.

Napa sells the Orbit with the 5 yr warrenty, I know Woodys running a pair of them. I have a pair of yellow Optimas and love them. The cost is higher on both those batterys but you don't have to worry about acid leading all over your boat and no need for a battery box.

So where do I find these Optima Blue Tops? Dontknow.gif I've called every retailer listed on their web site and all they tend to have is the red and yellow tops......

So where do I find these Optima Blue Tops? Dontknow.gif I've called every retailer listed on their web site and all they tend to have is the red and yellow tops......

Got mine at Sears. It was 180-ish, 2 seasons ago.