Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Factory Depth Finder Install Help?

My depth finder finally arrived. It's for a 06 LSV.

I've attached a picture with the plugs. There is one on the center of the black box and it goes to the transducer, then a red and black wire. Assuming the red goes to the ignition and black to the ground block. Where does the larger plug into? I didn't see a obvious plug under the dash or behind the gauges.

If anyone has installed this before and could help me figure out where to look I'd appreciate it.

Thank you thank you thank you! Crazy.gif

Depth Finder Photo

post-3676-1208645689_thumb.jpg

My depth finder finally arrived. It's for a 06 LSV.

I've attached a picture with the plugs. There is one on the center of the black box and it goes to the transducer, then a red and black wire. Assuming the red goes to the ignition and black to the ground block. Where does the larger plug into? I didn't see a obvious plug under the dash or behind the gauges.

If anyone has installed this before and could help me figure out where to look I'd appreciate it.

Thank you thank you thank you! Crazy.gif

Depth Finder Photo

I'm not sure if I would attempt to do something like that on my own, but can I ask how much the you paid for the unit?

My boat was supposed to come with one and didn't, by the time I tried to set up an appt. at the service shop they were totally booked.

I'm going to have to let one of the dealer chime in because it's been a while, but this is what I remember:

- Round connector: Transducer

- Blk/Red: Buzzer/chime

- Square plug: MMDC to provide display on the MFD.

Crescentbar,

I can't see the pics on the website. When's your house getting done and is there a bar at Crescent Bar?

Hey 2Way

The house is getting close. They are saying end of May. (Hopefully for Memorial Day). When are you guys heading over?

BTW there is a Bar at CB called the Sandtrap.

Depth Finder Photo

I'm not sure if I would attempt to do something like that on my own, but can I ask how much the you paid for the unit?

My boat was supposed to come with one and didn't, by the time I tried to set up an appt. at the service shop they were totally booked.

The depth finder was included on our spec sheet when we purchased the boat. After driving 300 miles to pick it up it didn't have one so the dealer bought it and shipped it up to me at no charge. I believe it was about $400 (ish). I'm sure the dealer cost and what we could buy one are two different stories. Sorry I'm not more help on the cost.

I know the factory depth finder is a sought after product, esp since they seem to go out. mine just stopped working last year, it read reallt deep depths that I know are too deep to be our lake, and the alarm was constantly on...like literally...constantly..I had to pull the plug on it. after researching and figuring out it was going to be a pretty penny for a new transducer...I've opted to go a different route. if you look at west marine...they sell quite a few that are really good, they are also the "glue in the hull" types so you don't have to drill and have alarms for whatever depth you want, like the factory ones. and you can get them for 100 bucks. that's the option I'm going for and just ordered actually...just gotta find away to mount itsince they are "indash gauges"...I thought about trying to find a pillar guage pod or something for cars and mounting it somewhere but ill probably just end up making a small pod and wrapping it in vinyl and mounting it ontop of the guage cluster or something. ill post pics when I do it though.

Back on MBO there was some conjecture that the factory transducer was a Lowrance 3200 unit. To the best of my knowledge, no one ever confirmed that, and it might be a $150 mistake if it's wrong, but it could also save you a significant amount of coin if that is correct.

Also, most transducers die because they are exposed to 180 degree water during winterization, so that's something to keep in mind for you DIYers.

With the Help of David at Madras Marine. (Thanks David) I was able to get this factory depth finder module installed pretty quick.

I guess the red and black wires go to different places on different years so this is how it's done in 06.

1. Little Red Wire - Purple Ignition Wire.

2. Little Black Wire - Ground Block under dash.

3. The plug for the guage goes into the wiring bundle. Mine was on the right side of the steering column.

Hope this helps if anybody decides to add this feature in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

I got out onto the new boat for the first time today and I noticed the depth wasn't reading on the display.. Does that mean it does not have a factory depth finder? I assumed every new Malibu would come with a depth finder! Mine is a 2007 VLX and I have to say that I will be quite dissappointed if it doesn't..

No, it's an option on all boats still (maybe standard on Sunscape for '08). You need the module and transducer, then it's plug-and-play (as shown in this thread).

Well that just Sucks... I can;t believe that Malibu allows thoer boats to leave the factory without this option at this point.. They come with Cruise Control as a Standard which I am sure costs them much more than a Depth Finder. When I was purchasing this boat I didn't even think to ask about it...

Now I guess I have to call and find out how to install this and how much it is going to cost.. Mad.gif

That sounds about right. I bought an 07 last year and assumed it had a depth gauge. It had air temps and cruise, why wouldn't a depth finder be standard?

Anyway, I'm looking into alternative gauges as well (dealer told me almost 600 installed for "malibu" components). I've been looking at Faria, but I'll take another look at West Marine.

Anyboy know of a how-to installation on these? I've searched but haven't come up with much.

thanks

i agree pennery,,,i would assume a 07vlx would come with a depth finder standard,,,cant believe u would to "request" that as a option. at the very least i would think any good dealer would make sure it was in the "write-up"

I called the dealer and All boats with the paddle wheel have the transducer in the paddlewheel.. All boats in 07 have the display to read the Depth.. All that is required is a Module that the dealer wants to charge me $352 for plus shipping charges...

So that goes back to Why is this thing not Standard? For a $60K boat you still need to spend $352 if you want to know if you are going to hit the bottom of your lake... I find that a bit rediculous... Put it in the cost of the boat and charge $352 more for every boat... Ranting.gifFrustrated.gif

Um, it's been a little while, but I'm almost positive the transducer isn't built into the paddle wheel. The temperature probe is, but not the ultrasonic transducer.

And believe it or not, a lot of people elect not to get depth finders. They aren't that accurate, and don't give you any view forward, so essentially all they do is tell you when the lake is already shallow (which you probably know). I'm not defending Malibu, I'm just playing the devil's advocate. I would absolutely have one on my boat (and have), but there are those out there that find the above reasons justification enough not to spend $500 on it.

The dealer told me that the Transducer was built into the paddlewheel and that was after calling Malibu to Verify what parts I need to make it work... If there is anyone that knows for sure that would help me out..

I know I can probably get one much less expensive and more accurate than the factory one but when I am on a new lake I like to travel a little to get a good idea of the lake depth before I start pulling riders on it... And I like things stock...

• 9 years later...

Malibu 2006 LX response. Ordered new depth transducer. Under $200. It's Lawrence PD_WBL  orig is different. Directions say I have to splice into and use orig plug, then install new transducer where old one is. ANYONE know where old one is? No paddlewheel ...so in hull somewhere?

I did find the paddlewheel right in the engine pit. It looks different and looks as if the transducer MIGHT be screwed on from the top on the paddlewheel. My new transducer has no screw holes, So is different. Also wire from plug under dash looks fatter and different numbers on it than the wire going to the part on top of the padlewheel. Very confusing. Don't want to splice wires etc till I'm sure. Orig plug wire says LTH-FWT WIDE ANGLE. NEW PART IS PD-WBL wide angle. Any thoughts are appreciated