Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
bxroads

Sunsetter vs Response LXI

bxroads

Could some please explain the difference between a Sunsetter and Response LXI. I'm new to Malibu and do not know the history.

Intense

Others will have more detailed knowledge than myself....but the general difference being the Response is more of a slalom/barefoot ski boat and the Sunsetter is more geared toward wakeboarding/general cruising.

That being said, the Sunsetter can be had with a diamond (ski friendly) hull or a wake hull. Sort of a best of both worlds....

lakewaterjunky

I’m no authority on the subject but here are a few tid bits.

It seems that the Sunsetter is basically the “family” boat of the ski favoring DD line compared to the RLXI. While the Response line is hard core/tournament slalom, the Sunsetter line is somewhat of a roomier version.

The Sunsetter has had different hulls regarding wake shape and size(maybe handling too, I'm not sure).

The Sunsetters also look to have higher gun walls on some models/years.

Another thing to take notice of is that the RLXI ‘s first year (walk through windshield) was in 2003 the others before it were just Response (closed bow) and Response LX (step over, open bow or “playpen”).

The Sunsetter line has had labels of LX, XTI, LXI and a Standard model in the past that I know of and it seems that the last year made was 2006 and it was SLXI model.

There are/were different hulls available with Sunsetter for different years(I.E. SV25, SV23wake, and SV23diamond) while the Response line was main stream slalom wake hulls only such as the SV23diamond and the new diamond cut hull.

Check out the Hull Specs in the Tech section to study some more similarities and differences.

I don’t know for sure about the XTI, it may have been a V drive offered {attention…someone who does know, little help here) Dontknow.gif

We own what seems to be the only year a standard Sunsetter was offered that had very similar attributes to the Response LXI. It is only 6 inches longer than the following year's Response LXI, it has the same weight, it is the same width or a little narrower and has the same SV23 hull.(I researched this way too much for any sane individual before buying)

Maybe a dealer or some other Malibu guru will chime in after a while and add to the topic.

There are several videos of past years and models of Malibu on waterski magazine's website that show off some cool features about them.

J.H.D.

Edited by lakewaterjunky

Malibudude

The XTI is a DD version on the wake hull with the rear-seating configuration.

The Sunsetter and Sunsetter LX (now called the I-ride) are on the sv23wake hull, with 2002 the only exception that year it was on the Diamond hull. The Sunsetter LXI (SLXI) has always been on the diamond hull as well as the Response LXI. The Response comes on the sv23 diamond hull and the now only the cut diamond hull from ’07 forward model year. The Sunsetter and Sunetter LX are great crossover boats but do lean a bit to wakeboarding for a DD conversely the SLXI and the RLXI, as those are better at slalom. The SLXI is probably the middle of the road for crossover amongst those models. The Sunsetters came in a few different sizes while the RLXI has remained consistent since its debut.

Sunsetter (LX) 21’L x 93”W

I-Ride 21’l x 93.5”W

SLXI 21.8’L x 93.5”W

RLXI 21.6’L x 93.5”W

RLX 20.6’L x 90W

ibelieve

From the # of posts Malibudude has, this must just be a typo.

To my knowledge the RLX has always been 20' and the RLXi 20' 6". I'm not sure about the others but thought the SLXi was 21' 6" ... seems it was 21' 8" at one time.

Hull Charts

/Steve

The Sunsetter and Sunsetter LX (now called the I-ride) are on the sv23wake hull, with 2002 the only exception that year it was on the Diamond hull. The Sunsetter LXI (SLXI) has always been on the diamond hull as well as the Response LXI. The Response comes on the sv23 diamond hull and the now only the cut diamond hull from ’07 forward model year. The Sunsetter and Sunetter LX are great crossover boats but do lean a bit to wakeboarding for a DD conversely the SLXI and the RLXI, as those are better at slalom. The SLXI is probably the middle of the road for crossover amongst those models. The Sunsetters came in a few different sizes while the RLXI has remained consistent since its debut.

Sunsetter (LX) 21’L x 93”W

I-Ride 21’l x 93.5”W

SLXI 21.8’L x 93.5”W

RLXI 21.6’L x 93.5”W

RLX 20.6’L x 90W

Edited by ibelieve

Malibudude

To my knowledge the RLX has always been 20' and the RLXi 20' 6". I'm not sure about the others but thought the SLXi was 21' 6" ... seems it was 21' 8" at one time.

Hull Charts

/Steve

The Sunsetter and Sunsetter LX (now called the I-ride) are on the sv23wake hull, with 2002 the only exception that year it was on the Diamond hull. The Sunsetter LXI (SLXI) has always been on the diamond hull as well as the Response LXI. The Response comes on the sv23 diamond hull and the now only the cut diamond hull from '07 forward model year. The Sunsetter and Sunetter LX are great crossover boats but do lean a bit to wakeboarding for a DD conversely the SLXI and the RLXI, as those are better at slalom. The SLXI is probably the middle of the road for crossover amongst those models. The Sunsetters came in a few different sizes while the RLXI has remained consistent since its debut.

Sunsetter (LX) 21'L x 93"W

I-Ride 21'l x 93.5"W

SLXI 21.8'L x 93.5"W

RLXI 21.6'L x 93.5"W

RLX 20.6'L x 90W

The SLXi went under a redesign in ’05 and did shorten 2”, so ’99-’04 it was 21’8” and then ’05-’06 was 21’ 6”. The chart correct on the RLX 20' and the RLXI is 20’6”.

ibelieve

Not sure I understand. My RLXi is 20'6" and my buddy's RLX is 20'. Lokks like the chart is correct to me. Also, Malibu's site specs, state the same.

/Steve

Hull Charts

/Steve

The Sunsetter and Sunsetter LX (now called the I-ride) are on the sv23wake hull, with 2002 the only exception that year it was on the Diamond hull. The Sunsetter LXI (SLXI) has always been on the diamond hull as well as the Response LXI. The Response comes on the sv23 diamond hull and the now only the cut diamond hull from '07 forward model year. The Sunsetter and Sunetter LX are great crossover boats but do lean a bit to wakeboarding for a DD conversely the SLXI and the RLXI, as those are better at slalom. The SLXI is probably the middle of the road for crossover amongst those models. The Sunsetters came in a few different sizes while the RLXI has remained consistent since its debut.

I-Ride 21'l x 93.5"W

SLXI 21.8'L x 93.5"W

RLXI 21.6'L x 93.5"W

RLX 20.6'L x 90W

The SLXi went under a redesign in ’05 and did shorten 2”, so ’99-’04 it was 21’8” and then ’05-’06 was 21’ 6”. The chart is in fact wrong on the RLX 20' and the RLXI is 20’6”.

Malibudude
Not sure I understand. My RLXi is 20'6" and my buddy's RLX is 20'. Lokks like the chart is correct to me. Also, Malibu's site specs, state the same.

/Steve

Hull Charts

/Steve

I-Ride 21'l x 93.5"W

SLXI 21.8'L x 93.5"W

RLXI 21.6'L x 93.5"W

RLX 20.6'L x 90W

The SLXi went under a redesign in '05 and did shorten 2", so '99-'04 it was 21'8" and then '05-'06 was 21' 6". The chart is in fact wrong on the RLX 20' and the RLXI is 20'6".

That's correct it should have read the chart was correct, I was thinking XTI instead of the RLXI. Sorry for the confusion.

WakeGirl

Aren't you guys saying the same thing?

Malibudude
Aren't you guys saying the same thing?

Yep... Biggrin.gif

VinRLX

Justin is trying to confuse us on which chart is correct, thereby drawing attention away from the fact that he was wrong. Again.

Tease2.gif

sgt1970-442
Could some please explain the difference between a Sunsetter and Response LXI. I'm new to Malibu and do not know the history.

AS WAS MENTIONED BEFORE, IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR. SLALOM, WAKEBOARD, FAMILY, OR FLAT OUT JUST SKIING BOAT. WE'VE GOT A 1999 SUNSETTER LXI WITH THE SV23 DIAMOND HULL, BEST SLALOM SKI BOAT I'VE EVER BEEN BEHIND. THE OLDER SUNSETTER ARE A WIDER BEAM, LONGER, MORE STORAGE, AND WALK THROUGH BOW RIDERS. THE OLDER RESPONSE LXI'S ARE NARROWER BEAMS, SHORTER, LESS STORAGE, AND A STEP OVER THE WINDSHIELD BOW RIDER.

I OPTED FOR THE SUNSETTER BECAUSE OF THREE DAUGHTERS 21,19,13 THE WIFE AND A 60LB DOG NOT WANTING TO STEP OVER THE WINDSHIELD. THIS BOAT WILL PROBABLY BE REBUILT WHEN THE TIME COMES, AS I WILL NEVER GIVE UP THE SV23 DIAMOND HULL DO TO THE FACT WE ARE A 98 PERCENT SKI FAMILY. JUST MY TWO CENTS, STEVE

Lieutenant Dan

AS WAS MENTIONED BEFORE, IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR. SLALOM, WAKEBOARD, FAMILY, OR FLAT OUT JUST SKIING BOAT. WE'VE GOT A 1999 SUNSETTER LXI WITH THE SV23 DIAMOND HULL, BEST SLALOM SKI BOAT I'VE EVER BEEN BEHIND. THE OLDER SUNSETTER ARE A WIDER BEAM, LONGER, MORE STORAGE, AND WALK THROUGH BOW RIDERS. THE OLDER RESPONSE LXI'S ARE NARROWER BEAMS, SHORTER, LESS STORAGE, AND A STEP OVER THE WINDSHIELD BOW RIDER.

I OPTED FOR THE SUNSETTER BECAUSE OF THREE DAUGHTERS 21,19,13 THE WIFE AND A 60LB DOG NOT WANTING TO STEP OVER THE WINDSHIELD. THIS BOAT WILL PROBABLY BE REBUILT WHEN THE TIME COMES, AS I WILL NEVER GIVE UP THE SV23 DIAMOND HULL DO TO THE FACT WE ARE A 98 PERCENT SKI FAMILY. JUST MY TWO CENTS, STEVE

Actually.....it is the Response LX that has the step over, the Response LXI has a walk-through just like the Sunsetter LXI....

I, like most Sunsetter LXI owners, think that we have the best boat ever built by Malibu. It has an excellent slalom wake (a friend who owns a Response LXI and skis the course into 38 off has said that he thinks my wake is softer than his), has the extra room / storage that others have mentioned, and throws a respectable wake with the wedge (I am adding 400 lbs of ballast in the ski locker this summer to see if I can mellow the sharp transition a bit) for board sports.

Addictedto6

Actually.....it is the Response LX that has the step over, the Response LXI has a walk-through just like the Sunsetter LXI....

I, like most Sunsetter LXI owners, think that we have the best boat ever built by Malibu. It has an excellent slalom wake (a friend who owns a Response LXI and skis the course into 38 off has said that he thinks my wake is softer than his), has the extra room / storage that others have mentioned, and throws a respectable wake with the wedge (I am adding 400 lbs of ballast in the ski locker this summer to see if I can mellow the sharp transition a bit) for board sports.

Plus1.gifCheers.gif

Just one more comment to the OP. If you consider a Sunsetter LXI, it has to be 99-04. The redesign in 05 that Malibudude references killed the boat....

JohnDoe

Just my opinion, but the new rlxi and old slxi are kind of similar in that they have similar freeboard, yet both are on sv23 diamond hull (OK, so rlxi is on cut) but they are very similar.

billb

I think the RLXi went to the CutDiamond hull on 07.

Addictedto6
Just my opinion, but the new rlxi and old slxi are kind of similar in that they have similar freeboard, yet both are on sv23 diamond hull (OK, so rlxi is on cut) but they are very similar.

USCG capacity on the RLXI is only 8 people though.

My SLXI is rated at 10....key for when we are out with another 5 person family...

Edited by Addictedto6

JohnDoe

There are definitely some rlxis that are 9. But I see your point.

Addictedto6
There are definitely some rlxis that are 9. But I see your point.

I thought they were 9, so did a search to double check before I posted and the current model has 8 on the malibu web site. In any case, it doesn't look like seating wise it's much different from the SLXI, so it has to be a weight thing....I always wondered if you could go over the USCG limits with # of people if you have 6 kids in the boat weighing between 50-100 lbs.

sgt1970-442

SORRY GUYS, MY PECK AND PUNCH MUST HAVE BEEN WORKING FASTER THAN THE BRAIN. RLXI IS PASS THROUGH AS WAS MENTIONED AND LX MODELS ARE STEP OVER. ALSO AS WAS SAID 99-04 SUNSETTERS ARE THE SV23 DIAMOND HULL

wienrdog
I always wondered if you could go over the USCG limits with # of people if you have 6 kids in the boat weighing between 50-100 lbs.

You can, but you'll still have to pay the ticket if stopped. Crazy.gif

I have a neighbor who requested an inspection one day to get the 'inspected' sticker for the year. Everything on the boat was good, but they wouldn't give him the sticker because he had 10 on board (7 small children) with a plate limit of 8. :Doh: The Ranger was in a good mood and didn't cite him.

Addictedto6
SORRY GUYS, MY PECK AND PUNCH MUST HAVE BEEN WORKING FASTER THAN THE BRAIN. RLXI IS PASS THROUGH AS WAS MENTIONED AND LX MODELS ARE STEP OVER. ALSO AS WAS SAID 99-04 SUNSETTERS ARE THE SV23 DIAMOND HULL

99-04 Sunsetter LXIs

Maliburesponse03

The LXI Is a tornment ski boat for skiing and barefoot Sunsetter is a family ski boat the beam is a bit bigger not much difrence .

Arctic Slalom

the response is for the slalom skiing guy who is young, or, whose kids are gone to college Rockon.gif

the sunsetter is for the slalom skiing family who needs more room and deals with it a slight bump Thumbup.gif