Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hypothetical situation

Intense

So, I was giving the boat it's spring tune-up and couldn't remember the spark plug gap. While I had the guy on the phone, I asked how often they see VTXs as I was looking to upgrade next year. Of course, they have a 'demo' model left over from last year that's fully loaded.

Now, I put the demo in quotes because the boat actually had 250 hours on it. But it was used by the local YMCA and was never registered. The sales guy, who I know very well, told me that since the boat has never been registered, it could be sold as new. Which means it would have the full warranty and service agreements.

The boat is loaded with all 4 ballasts, power wedge, Illusion X, pop-up cleats, etc, etc. It also comes with a matching tandem axle trailer. They're asking $45k for it.

Here's my dilemma. I hadn't planned on upgrading this year, but I do like the sound of this boat. And if it comes with a new warranty, I'd be much more at ease. I'm in the process of re-doing most of the vinyl in the boat, adding pop-up cleats, and some other 'upgrades'.

Of course, I'd need to sell my Sunsetter. But does this seem like a decent deal? If so, what do you all think my boat would be worth?

It's a 98 Sunsetter LX with the Monsoon motor. Hour meter shows 1000-ish hours. But I know I dropped it off at the dealership with 850 last year for some work and it came back with that many hours. Figured they just left the key in it or something, never really pursued it. In the end, doesn't matter, since the hours shown are just that. Also, have a Monster Tower, manual Wedge, and pop-up cleats (soon).

I've already scheduled a demo for next Tuesday. So, I'll report back when I go out. Here's to hoping I can resist!

from what i read, you're screwed. might as well arrange the financing now so it will be in place for the demo.

if you do manage to resist, remember a boat is like a car, there will be another one out there when you are ready and for just as good a deal.

from what i read, you're screwed. might as well arrange the financing now so it will be in place for the demo.

if you do manage to resist, remember a boat is like a car, there will be another one out there when you are ready and for just as good a deal.

You know, when I joined the site. People welcomed me and told me that this site makes you spend money.

I see you're just making sure the site lives up to it's reputation :D

After last season I was going to add a wedge, bimini top, and perfect pass to my 97 Sunsetter which has 710 hrs. So I figured about 3 to 4 K into upgrades. That along with trading in my boat got me a 08 VTX, which I picked up yesterday. I couldn't sleep last night becasue I am so fired up to get out on the water again today. Pull the trigger. It is a great price, and someone else needs that boat to get into our sport. Interest rates are low and the ecomony is tough ask for a little more off the boat and more on your trade in.

By the way don't worry about the 250 hrs. I bought my Sunsetter in Aug of 97 as a demo boat with around the same amount of hours. The boat was great for our fmaily for 10 years. It would have gone another 10 years, but I turned 40 this year and my wife said do it.

Keep the faith brother

We recently bought a 2008 VTX and from the description you've given of the demo, it's a screamin' deal. Our warranty is 400 hours, so make sure everything is good or repaired in a timely fashion. You won't believe how this boat performs. We had a 21 foot V drive before and this has as much room in the cockpit and drives like a DD.

Have fun!

Your hour meter means nothing if you have a monsoon. Have them pull the hours from the ECM...these are the true run hours on the motor. Plus it only takes about 5 minutes.

You may find your 1000 hour boat has 800 hours or maybe even less if the previous owner left the key on.

-Chris

As an afterthought, that YMCA probably buys a couple boats a year, so the 08 VTX (assuming they bought a VTX) will be there next year if you wanted to wait.

-Chris

I keep looking for my next boat, a used VTX, but can't find it because it's the wrong color, wrong hull, wrong tower or missing an option I really want.

My point is get what you want and don't let a deal cloud your judgment because you might be right back on the market for another boat if this one is the wrong one. If you look hard there are a couple of '07s out there that have never been off the showroom floor possibly just slightly north of the asking price of the used boat you are looking at.

I keep looking for my next boat, a used VTX, but can't find it because it's the wrong color, wrong hull, wrong tower or missing an option I really want.

My point is get what you want and don't let a deal cloud your judgment because you might be right back on the market for another boat if this one is the wrong one. If you look hard there are a couple of '07s out there that have never been off the showroom floor possibly just slightly north of the asking price of the used boat you are looking at.

I had thought about that, but the only things I wanted not on this boat are; a titan III tower and a manual Wedge. Call me old-fashioned, but I like the look of the Titan towers better. And a manual Wedge would give me piece of mind, as opposed to the power Wedge potentially failing.

That being said, I've got the demo ride at 4 tomorrow. I'll be sure to report back my impressions!

Which, from the other perspective, doesn't bode well for selling your current boat.

While I generally agree with you. I'll be listing my boat for ~$20K I think that will open up a much bigger market for first time owners and people looking for a lower-priced boat, overall.

Your hour meter means nothing if you have a monsoon. Have them pull the hours from the ECM...these are the true run hours on the motor. Plus it only takes about 5 minutes.

You may find your 1000 hour boat has 800 hours or maybe even less if the previous owner left the key on.

-Chris

They don't actually have the hour meter running off the electrical side do they??? That's big time a$$ backwards. The hour meter should be running off of engine time, typically oil pressure. At least this is the way hobbs meter's and such do it.

a titan III tower. Call me old-fashioned, but I like the look of the Titan towers better.

I'm with you on the T3: simple, light and incredibly strong. Is the VTX you are looking at a wake or diamond hull? BTW, if you get multiple people interested in your Sunsetter, send them my way!

Edited by CTSunsetter
a titan III tower. Call me old-fashioned, but I like the look of the Titan towers better.

I'm with you on the T3: simple, light and incredibly strong. Is the VTX you are looking at a wake or diamond hull? BTW, if you get multiple people interested in your Sunsetter, send them my way!

Exactly! Oh well, for this deal, I don't think I can complain. Yahoo.gif

It is on a wake hull, which is my preference. So that works out. I'll have to bring my 07 product brochure, so I can tell what things are options and what things are standard.

If I get lots of interest, I'll def point them your way.

Exactly! Oh well, for this deal, I don't think I can complain. Yahoo.gif

It is on a wake hull, which is my preference. So that works out. I'll have to bring my 07 product brochure, so I can tell what things are options and what things are standard.

If I get lots of interest, I'll def point them your way.

If they are out west, send them way :)

I prefer the Titan to the Illusion myself as well.