Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can I use goo gone on gelcoat?

One of the Ms on my Malibu logo on the side of the boat fell off and there is a lot of residue from the adhesive there. Can I use goo gone without damaging the gelcoat? Any other suggestions if the goo gone is a no go?

I am going to try it tomorrow on the back below the water line of the platform to make sure there isn't an issue.

I don't see why not. Goo Gone is the mildest of all the chemical removers I use. It's basically just orange juice. (Citric(citris ??) acid)

Plus1.gif

It also works pretty good to take the 'roller' marks off the bow. I could not tell where the goo-gone'd and washed area was after 5+ years.

Would this stuff be what I would use if I wanted to remove my logos from the boat? I'm starting to like the idea of getting rid of the VRide logo down the side of the boat.

You can use the goo gone on the gelcoat. Just make sure you wash and wax the area well after you're done. If you leave it on there, I'd imagine it could bleach in the sun. Citric acid has a tendency to do that which is why it is used to lighten hair.

Related story: I knew a girl in college who came back from spring break with a really splotchy tan. She was concerned about some light colored splotches on her neck, stomach, and chestal-area. The dermatologist asked if she had let anyone do body shots off of her on spring break... the lime juice had bleached her skin. Man, I miss college girls... :)

Would this stuff be what I would use if I wanted to remove my logos from the boat? I'm starting to like the idea of getting rid of the VRide logo down the side of the boat.

It will help removing the leftover adhesive residue. It does a great job.

I use GooGone for cleaning the boat all the time. Also use it to clean laptops that sales people have stuck 20 different decals all over. Dell laptop cases are a painted plastic & the GooGone treats them really well.

Hey Helinut, if you want to remove the entire decal, get a hair dryer or a heat gun & apply a little bit of heat to those decals. They will peel right up. I just peeled the Z71 decals off my Avalanche, no residue at all. Good luck!

The dermatologist asked if she had let anyone do body shots off of her on spring break... the lime juice had bleached her skin.

So THAT'S what they're teaching at medical school these days...

makes sense

use it all the time to take stickers or gunk off the boat, with no issues. DON'T use it on a wakeboard tho! I used it on a cwb platinum Marius. I Had some stickers on there and was selling it on ebay. Wanted to get the gunk off from the old stickers and it took the clear coat off.

• 2 months later...
what adhesive works best to reapply the stickers?

a small portion of the 'E' in response started to wander.

i'd like to put it back where it belongs.

I'm looking for the same info, the M on my side Decal is falling off.

You can use the goo gone on the gelcoat. Just make sure you wash and wax the area well after you're done. If you leave it on there, I'd imagine it could bleach in the sun. Citric acid has a tendency to do that which is why it is used to lighten hair.

Related story: I knew a girl in college who came back from spring break with a really splotchy tan. She was concerned about some light colored splotches on her neck, stomach, and chestal-area. The dermatologist asked if she had let anyone do body shots off of her on spring break... the lime juice had bleached her skin. Man, I miss college girls... :)

So take a night class. Whistling.gif