Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Storing a boat outside with freezing temps

All,

I am getting ready to drop my boat in the water for the first time tonight. We are forcasted to get freezing overnight temps this weekend. Do you think I should put it back in my garage instead of leaving it out on my lift?

Thanks for any input.

Brian

All,

I am getting ready to drop my boat in the water for the first time tonight. We are forcasted to get freezing overnight temps this weekend. Do you think I should put it back in my garage instead of leaving it out on my lift?

Thanks for any input.

Brian

If it's not winterized you could have some major issues...I would not risk it.

All,

Thanks for any input.

Brian

I would and hope the garage is heated!!!! Weatherman says snow and freezing all weekend so not worth the chance if you have water in the block. I know how hard it is especially after the awesome weather we had last weekend.

All,

Thanks for any input.

Brian

I would and hope the garage is heated!!!! Weatherman says snow and freezing all weekend so not worth the chance if you have water in the block. I know how hard it is especially after the awesome weather we had last weekend.

Yep, garage is heated. I cant believe it's 60 now and we may get snow this weekend! You have to love Spokane...

Ain't that the truth. I extended my storage till the 20th & now I may end up extending it again till the end of the month.

Tom Sherry lives up the street from me. We're gonna go egg his house Saturday night. Tease.gif in the snow!

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

How cold is "below" freezing..? Like 31 deg, or 21? Can you run a 100w light out there? Will it be below freezing all day long? I don't think it is that big a deal if it is just going to drop below freezing for a while at night.

You people have it made, there is still 3 feet of ice on Lake of the Woods where I live. :unsure:

Hehe, yea, I'm not sure how "made" we have it. Heres a pic of Diamond Lake that we ride on all summer.... it's about 30 min. north of here. This pic was Monday. Notice the big crack. We got all excited. Since then it's refroze again.

3' though..... by comparison, we got it made!

post-821-1208475586_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
You people have it made, there is still 3 feet of ice on Lake of the Woods where I live. :unsure:

Hehe, yea, I'm not sure how "made" we have it. Heres a pic of Diamond Lake that we ride on all summer.... it's about 30 min. north of here. This pic was Monday. Notice the big crack. We got all excited. Since then it's refroze again.

3' though..... by comparison, we got it made!

Good grief! You people need to move! And to think I am going to have to go out tomorrow and brave 80 degree air and 70 degree water!! Don't worry about me though! I will have my shorty wetsuit! :)Clap.gif

How cold is "below" freezing..? Like 31 deg, or 21? Can you run a 100w light out there? Will it be below freezing all day long? I don't think it is that big a deal if it is just going to drop below freezing for a while at night.

Plus1.gif on the light idea. However, I won't take responsibility for any dmg's No.gif

Don't chance it...I replaced an engine several years ago and it taught me a very expensive lesson.

If you plan to keep it on the lift, go ahead and winterize it and drain ALL the water.

What part of Lake of the Woods are you at? I am in Clearwater, and each day its getting better. It sucks we can't boat all year round, but the upside of it, is that Lake of the Woods has to be one of the most gorgeous lakes in North America. It's great for boating, relatively unpopulated and although not a great lake, is huge! Ok I am still jealous :unsure:

What part of Lake of the Woods are you at? I am in Clearwater, and each day its getting better. It sucks we can't boat all year round, but the upside of it, is that Lake of the Woods has to be one of the most gorgeous lakes in North America. It's great for boating, relatively unpopulated and although not a great lake, is huge! Ok I am still jealous :unsure:

I live in Warroad, MN. The river is where we ski and board. There are only a few days a summer that we can ski the big lake.

If there is a south wind, the north side of Springsteel Island is a good place, plus has a beach.

Still feet of ice up here, the river has not even opened up yet. Back in the day we would ski the river when there was still ice on the big lake.

We did not have wet-suits back then. Thumbup.gif