Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel filter

Getting a high pitch whine from the fuel pump area. I pray it's just the filter. I'll try that 1st. can't make out any markings so

I was wondering if anyone knows what fuel filter I need. '99 slxi monsoon 325.

Thanks in advance.

I had a 2000 sslxi and it had 2 filters. One right off the gas tank behind the rear ski locker next to the fuel cutoff and one right after the pump. The one off of the tank might be starving your fuel pump and causing the whining sound. It is easy to replace (about 5-10 min). Remove it take it to the local auto store and they will have a replacement for it. Start there before replacing the pump.

I had a 2000 sslxi and it had 2 filters. One right off the gas tank behind the rear ski locker next to the fuel cutoff and one right after the pump. The one off of the tank might be starving your fuel pump and causing the whining sound. It is easy to replace (about 5-10 min). Remove it take it to the local auto store and they will have a replacement for it. Start there before replacing the pump.

Hmm, I just bought the filter and am ready to replace my filter on my 03 sslxi. I wonder if I also have 2 filters.

Yah I thought there was a second filter. Can you suggest the easiest way to access the rear filter. Do I just remove the trunk wall/separator to tank?

Anyone replace a fuel pump. Is it a difficult repair for me, just mechanical enough to be dangerous?

that sounds like the pump. Filters usually dont whine but a good idea to replace when you change your pump.

Plus1.gif Filters don't whine much, but clogged filter may cause your pump to work harder than it has to Dontknow.gif Definitely try the "cheaper" fix first :Doh:

my 04 response (630 hours) w 5.7L fuel pump has had the high pitched whine for three seasons now.

new fuel filter didn't change its' tune.

almost sounds like an old dial-up modem chirping.

I had the same problem, changed fuel filter, nothing. My dealer said there is a little metal screen at the intake side of the fuel pump. It's hard to pull out of the bottom of the fuel pump. If I wasn't told I would have never known it was there. Pull fuel line at bottom of pump, reach up with toothpick and find plastic edge and pry out. Careful not to damage screen. Clean with solvent and let dry, reinstall and your good to go. The squeeling

or chirping was gone. It is amazing out little soot can make that kind of noise. This fix also helps reduce the black soot stains that come out the exhaust. On my 320 LCR the fuel pump is just above the oil filter and back towards the raw water pump. The small silver canister with fuel line ruunning in the bottom and metal lines running out the top.

Yah I thought there was a second filter. Can you suggest the easiest way to access the rear filter. Do I just remove the trunk wall/separator to tank?

Yep, it's right behind the trunk wall. Time to change mine as well.