Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone use a fitted Snap Cover for a VTX?

SmoothWaterMan

Great Lakes has not yet patterned a snap cockpit cover for the 07/08 S20LSV and WVTX. I have a customer looking for a full snap cover, bow to stern, for his VTX with Illusion tower. Does anyone use one they would reccomend? I would need a shop that has a pattern, unless they are in the NorthEast. Snaps in rubrail and bow support is preferable to using poles and snaps in gelcoat.

Thanks,

Peter

Are you sure you'd want the snaps on the rubrail? I would think this would be the worst place to have them. If you ever rub up against a dock post, you'd either rip the snap off the boat or tear apart the dock post. I know it would be the most asthetically pleasing, but doesn't sound very practical.

They usually get installed on the bottom edge of the rubrail. If your going to do snaps, this is about the only way it should be done.

Sorry, I haven't seen any installed on the VTX yet.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I don't know of a shop that has a pattern, but we did a couple of VTX's with snap on covers. FWIW, Evolution makes a much better cover that fits closer, is easier to install, and doesn't require ugly snaps to be installed. After using both kinds extensively, there's no way I would go with a snap on cover again.

I don't know of a shop that has a pattern, but we did a couple of VTX's with snap on covers. FWIW, Evolution makes a much better cover that fits closer, is easier to install, and doesn't require ugly snaps to be installed. After using both kinds extensively, there's no way I would go with a snap on cover again.

Jason, are you comparing the Evo cover to Commercial Sewing and Great Lakes? (Just for my info)

This customer is an unwavering believer in snaps, for long term non-use of the boat in all weather conditions. Sometimes you can't fight city hall when their mind is set.

Man, I couldn't agree more. My last boat was about 10 yrs old when I sold it. Several of the snap holes had started to crack at that point. Subtle, granted, and the buyer didn't notice, but definitely was there & was a problem for me. Since the newer Rankin/Evolution style covers came out, there is just no reason left for the snaps.

I've talked to a number of people who believe in the snaps though. I can imagine what Peter is thinking as he's talking to this person. Maybe that person should accidentally see this thread. ;)

Peter,

We have a custom canvas girl who makes covers for us when they are requested. I use her to make a bow and cockpit cover for my boat. She usually puts snaps in the gel though and uses poles. She has a bit we got her from cobalt for the gelcoat that cuts the holes so they won't crack. Are you looking for a one piece or two piece?She could possibly pattern one for snaps in the rubrail off of a vtx I have in stock though.

Peter,

We have a custom canvas girl who makes covers for us when they are requested. I use her to make a bow and cockpit cover for my boat. She usually puts snaps in the gel though and uses poles. She has a bit we got her from cobalt for the gelcoat that cuts the holes so they won't crack. Are you looking for a one piece or two piece?She could possibly pattern one for snaps in the rubrail off of a vtx I have in stock though.

Only purpose i see of a snap bow cover anymore is for someone who wants to leave the bow covered when using the boat. Sometimes this is benefitial in rough water. Also, im guessing most snap covers would fare better when moored in rough areas when the bow would sometimes dip.

We leave our boat in the water for 4 months. We had a Ranger bass boat for 10 years with a snap cover b/c we thought we couldn't get a mooring cover made. WHAT A MISTAKE! the gel coat faded noticeably but the boat, otherwise was in great shape. Our boat was also left in fairly rough water where sometimes 2-3 ft waves were hitting it. A mooring cover would have been just as effective in that situation. Maybe guy also has poor back?

I know you can't change this guys mind, but what a shame. Maybe try the gelcoat appeal! Mooring gover has much more protection and is much quicker

Don't know if I'd ever go w/ a snap cover, unless I wanted the bow to be covered while the Bu is in use. I don't like the look of the snaps sticking out from the smooth gelcoat. JMO though. Get an Evolution from Cory and you'll be pleased!

While I was at the dealer yesterday picking up my boat, I took a look at a 2001 VLX they have for sale for a friend who is looking in that price range. The biggest negative I saw was the use of a snap on cover. A bunch of the snaps had broken off and there were some cracks in the gel coat around some of them. The cover also used a series of poles and such to suspend it, and finally the cover over the ski pylon looked like a huge condom. The Rankin cover I had for my 01 SSVLX looked much better and it didn't put a bunch of holes in my boat. It also worked great for mooring as I leave my boats in the water from May until October.

Our old I/O had a snap cover and we loved it! Exactly for the reasons as stated above, bow cover on in rough water or if a sudden rainstorm hits. I would put on the bow cover and most of the cockpit cover. It really helped the boat stay dry. We had no poles under the cover and water pooling was a minimum. I would love to have one on the new VTX but I can't bear having somepne drill holes on the new gelcoat. By the way the boat was a 1997 with not rellay noticable rub marks. Probably the only thing that was not nice with the snaps was wax got into them and was a b%t%h to clean out.

had snaps on my old boat

it great to look into the rear view mirror and see you cover pulled off

all 10 snaps in front of the windshield let go :Doh:

Wow! I had never had one come loose in 6 years. We took several long trips towing behind the Motorhome or the truck and had no issues at all. When I talk about long trips the last one was around 11 hours one way. One thing I can say is that the cover we had was extremely tight. There was very minimal movement when towing. Hey My Malibu, did you sell both sets of Titan's? Yuk.gifYuk.gif

Wow! I had never had one come loose in 6 years. We took several long trips towing behind the Motorhome or the truck and had no issues at all. When I talk about long trips the last one was around 11 hours one way. One thing I can say is that the cover we had was extremely tight. There was very minimal movement when towing. Hey My Malibu, did you sell both sets of Titan's? Yuk.gifYuk.gif

both pairs sold Bump.gif

Edited by my malibu

my old boat was a open bowed chaparral 210

so the snaps are probably different but I still don't trust snaps

plus you have all the snaps everywhere I don't like the look when the cover is off Yuk.gif