Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cost to change all fluids/filters and impeller?

Got a quote for some service and wanted to make sure it was in line.

Change all oil (engine/vdrive/trans)

Change filters (oil and fuel)

Replace Impeller.

Was quoted $350 (parts and labor)

Sound resonable?

This is for a 2000 wakesetter vlx

Sounds expensive to me. but I have never had it done at a dealer.

The oil change is comparable to a car.

Impeller $40ish and 5 min to install.

Fuel filter $5.

I don't have a vdrive, and I don't remember exactly how much transmission fluid is.

All told I would estimate $100 and an hour or two to do it yourself.

Nevermind the cost!! There is no greater male bonding experience than to do maintenance on a Bu with a cold one and a buddy... Cheers.gif

Fuel filter at NAPA - $13

Oil Filter at Napa - $5

Oil at NAPA (Delo 400) - $10

Impeller - $35 Skidim

Impeller gasket - $3 Skidim

Vdrive + Tranny Dextron at NAPA- $15

This was on a 2006.

If you invest in a Fluid Evacuator you can change your tansmission or V-Drive fluid in no time...They are about $100 and it will pay for it's self after the first use.

Reccomendations on a Fluid Evacuator?

I have owned DD's before, the tranny on the VD is going to be tough if you clean the mesh screen.

How many people actually open up the tranny and clean the filter (really a mesh screen)?

Most maintenance on a Bu is really simple if you have any mechanical know-how whatsoever. Do it yourself for a hundred bucks and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you did it and you did it right!!!!!

Got a quote for some service and wanted to make sure it was in line.

Change all oil (engine/vdrive/trans)

Change filters (oil and fuel)

Replace Impeller.

Was quoted $350 (parts and labor)

Sound resonable?

This is for a 2000 wakesetter vlx

Based on current rates at a dealer, that sounds about right to me. If you are not comfortable doing the work yourself, it is a small price to pay to make sure it is done right.

This quote was actually a dealer tech doing it on his own. The bu dealer quoted me $500.

The tech said he doesn't know if the impeller is 1 or 2 hours (worth of work) so quoted me the two hours. So really the price could be $75 less at $275 total if it is considered a 1 hour job to replace it and clean out the heat exchangers.

The tech said he doesn't know if the impeller is 1 or 2 hours (worth of work) so quoted me the two hours.

That's a little wierd that the tech doesn't know how long it takes to change an impeller..... a 30 min job at most. Just my .02

The tech said he doesn't know if the impeller is 1 or 2 hours (worth of work) so quoted me the two hours.

That's a little wierd that the tech doesn't know how long it takes to change an impeller..... a 30 min job at most. Just my .02

I'm with Z on this one. A boat tech should know how long it would take. I know for myself it takes under 30 min to change and you don't need to look at the exchanger unless you have missing impeller fins or over heating problems. The price of 350 would sound about right from a dealer but it has been some time.

How many people actually open up the tranny and clean the filter (really a mesh screen)?

I did after my first four seasons. Filter (a can shaped screen) was spotless every time. Now, I will do it maybe every five seasons. I would recommend at least once which could reveal a potential, but unlikely problem.