Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replace rubber mat on swim step

After a few years in the sun the rubber mat on my swim step is starting to dry up and dust off so I want to replace it. Has anyone done this? I can only imagine it is probably a pain in the butt to get the existing rubber and glue off in order to replace it. If anyone has done this I would be interested to know how they did it;

1. Were any chemicals used to remove the old glue?
  2. Did the existing mat come off in one piece?
  3. Did you order the replacement from malibu?
  4. What glue did you use to put the new one back on?
  5. Any other things I should be aware of?

Thank you,

Chad

After a few years in the sun the rubber mat on my swim step is starting to dry up and dust off so I want to replace it. Has anyone done this? I can only imagine it is probably a pain in the butt to get the existing rubber and glue off in order to replace it. If anyone has done this I would be interested to know how they did it;

Thank you,

Chad

I have to replace mine also. I got my replacement from Malibu. It already has glue on it. Just peal the back off and stick. As far as getting the old one off... I haven't tackled it yet.

Edited by larrys

You might be able to get it warranteed- mine was doing the same thing (06 VLX), and they replaced it for free due to having issues with the black coming off on the vinyl....

Yep, I do it all the time.

Comes with the PSA, just clean your existing swimstep, trim to fit, peel it & stick it. Naturally non-skid & really sets your boat apart from the others.

Did I hear GROUP BUY!!!

Muffintop, that is interesting. Almost everyone I have been in that has the black pad, tracks black onto the vinyl. I have to say it drives me crazy. Does the new pad still track black on the vinyl? I have an 07 and mine definitely does.

Picked this up from a previous thread since I was having the same problem. Clean it well, then give it a good coat of 303, let it soak in and then buff it off. It's slippery at first but not for long. I haven't had the black tracking problem since I did that, which was over a year ago. If yours is damaged or peeling up, that's another thing, but this was about the easiest fix I've had to do on the boat. I may hit it again this year as a preemptive strike. Lightsabre.gif

We found that sunscreen caused the black to come up the most. If you sit on it after putting sunscreen on, you will track black into the boat.

I had the same problem with tracking black all over the vinyl. There was a post a while back about using laundry detergent to clean it. I did this with Tide and scrubbed it good. The black residue was gone and it didn't leave it slippery at all. This was last spring, I'll be interested to see if the residue comes back and it needs another cleaning.

I had the same problem with tracking black all over the vinyl. There was a post a while back about using laundry detergent to clean it. I did this with Tide and scrubbed it good. The black residue was gone and it didn't leave it slippery at all. This was last spring, I'll be interested to see if the residue comes back and it needs another cleaning.

Interesting. Did the Tide take the wax off the fiberglass? If so, maybe I'll take the swim platform off before trying it so I don't get any on the boat.

They had a problem with that pad and replaced many under warranty- as well as some vinyl that wouldn't clean up- if you notice they went away from the hard rubber in 08 because of it. Throw a fit and hope your dealer is a cool as mine was- the factory ok'd my warranty...

• 1 year later...

Thank you,

Chad

Glad I found your post, I am having trouble with my mat also... Did anything below work? I was thinking about trying the laundry detergent or the 303... thanks

Picked this up from a previous thread since I was having the same problem. Clean it well, then give it a good coat of 303, let it soak in and then buff it off. It's slippery at first but not for long. I haven't had the black tracking problem since I did that, which was over a year ago. If yours is damaged or peeling up, that's another thing, but this was about the easiest fix I've had to do on the boat. I may hit it again this year as a preemptive strike. Lightsabre.gif

I have done the same with mine and i have used 303 and i gotta say, it's the best stuff out there! i have even used it on my bimini top!