Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What a jerk

UWSkier

Dr. Icanmovemyballs

This could be very confusing for somebody who isn't aware of the whole story... seriously, what is the guy's name... I forgot his name, but not what he did...

Got it, Dr. Jim Michaels... I just Googled "dr cheater slalom" (seriously) and his name poped-up everywhere.

:search:

Edited by 1FootDan

The other lake you guys see northwest from there is Stillwaters. It was developed by a couple of guys - one of them is a Malibu promo guy that used to be on the old MBO site - Skibouy. There are only five or six houses on the lake. The other side is undeveloped and they were only going to develop it if they ran into cash flow problems. Stillwaters was also the back up site for the Malibu Open when Dr. Michaels was hosting it and I was told the location of Stillwaters being so close was one of the reasons that it was hosted at Lake Lynn-Louise because they could catch up if a day was rained out, etc...

Dr. Michaels still allows some tourneys out at his lake for the kids every year and one of the local ski shops that organizes an NSL series had one "stop" out there as well that I skied in. I've skied there three times now and you don't get used to it. It really is one hell of a place to ski.

That looks like a really old picture. There was a pier added that sticks out from the side of the lake towards the middle left of that picture. It's been there for at least a year now.

Mike

Edited by mlange
If you scroll about 1.5 miles NNE from cheater's lake, you can see another dig turned slalom lake.

Yep. Stillwaters. Nice place. Been out there a couple times. The daughter of one of the owners was on my ski team. It's getting nice out. Think maybe it's time to see what she's been up to... :)

I was talking with our Malibu rep about that shortly after it happened, & he had been there to see the train wreck in person. He said that the buoys were moving fast enough to leave little wakes. I still can't believe that he thought that he'd get away with it.

hahaha that is one of the best stories I have heard...

He should start a NASCAR team, they are always getting caught cheating...

On that note, he'd probably fit in the NFL or MLB too..... :unsure:

I beleive it is a photographer who noticed that the bouys were not in line with the same objects on shore on the pictures with Dr. Cheat vs pictures of the other skiers even though the photographer did not move...

Ok, here's the deal. The starting dock at the site looks right down 1/3/5 when going from north to south. Past tournaments where Dr. Michaels was also allegedly cheating there was no real point of reference, so you couldn't see any of the skier balls move in. But for the Malibu Open there were other balls added for the jump, which just so happen to fall in line with 1/3/5. So, when 1/3/5 moved in it became very obvious because the balls for the jump did not.

Anyone standing on the starting dock could see it. One of the guys working the event that I talked to said that he heard a bunch of the pros making comments that they saw it. I believe Drew Ross was the pro that "officially" brought it to everyone's attention, but that may be wrong.

I was on shore around 3 ball listening in with a walkie-talkie to get the scores and Dr. Michaels was on the back of the pick up boat waving to the crowd after his set when they came on the radio talking about checking out the course. After a few other skiers went out they sent a row boat with a diver to check either 2 or 4 ball (can't remember) and it became pretty clear right away of what was going on.

Mike

Ok, here's the deal. The starting dock at the site looks right down 1/3/5 when going from north to south. Past tournaments where Dr. Michaels was also allegedly cheating there was no real point of reference, so you couldn't see any of the skier balls move in. But for the Malibu Open there were other balls added for the jump, which just so happen to fall in line with 1/3/5. So, when 1/3/5 moved in it became very obvious because the balls for the jump did not.

Anyone standing on the starting dock could see it. One of the guys working the event that I talked to said that he heard a bunch of the pros making comments that they saw it. I believe Drew Ross was the pro that "officially" brought it to everyone's attention, but that may be wrong.

I was on shore around 3 ball listening in with a walkie-talkie to get the scores and Dr. Michaels was on the back of the pick up boat waving to the crowd after his set when they came on the radio talking about checking out the course. After a few other skiers went out they sent a row boat with a diver to check either 2 or 4 ball (can't remember) and it became pretty clear right away of what was going on.

Mike

I wish I'd have been there for that. I didn't show up until Sunday for the finals and to help with teardown. That was fun actually. You wouldn't believe how many of the pros stick around and help restore the ski site to normal after the event is over. I was pulling stakes out of the ground with Geraldine Jamin, folding tents with Danyelle Bennett (who I knew already from ski school) and helping Freddy Krueger collect banners. Where else would you experience that?